Joseph and Potiphar's wife

by StarTrekAngel 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

What are the real reasons Joseph refused to sleep with Potiphar's wife?

The watchtower and others teach that Joseph refused to commit adultery. Specifically to the JWs, we teach that Joseph, somehow, knew that adultery was wrong, despite not having any specific rule or writing to teach him so. Never the less, written or not, we know that women on those years were similar to material possessions. The act of taking another woman, sexually, was not officially condemned until later on. My theory is the following...

Adultery as defined, is the act of having a sexual relation with a woman that belongs to another man. What I notice from reading the biblical accounts of Joseph, is that when she approaches him, he does not refute on the grounds of adultery. The bible does not say so. If nothing else is added, you could safely assume it to be the case. Joseph knew what adultery was and he intrinsically indicated he would not commit such wicked act against God. However, while no adultery (see definition again) is mentioned, something else is. Joseph proceeds to compare taking her sexually as being the same as if he took anything material from his master. He mentions to her that his master entrusted him with "all his belongings" (sounds familiar?), except her. He also adds that his master does not have a clue or an inventory of anything that is under his watch. She was a material belonging on his eyes, as women were in that time of history. Therefore, if he did not dare to take a vessel or piece of gold from his master, despite him not knowing it was there, how would he dare to take his wife?

Was the sexual relation on itself the "wicked act" he refused to commit, or was it the fact that he was going to take something that did not belong to him, as women were comparable to cattle on those days.

As usual, I await your candid comments.

• cappytan
    cappytan

Maybe she was a fattie and Joseph just wasn't into that. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• StarTrekAngel
  • blondie
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    He probably didn't want to bang his friends girl because he was a good guy, it wasn't the law against adultery, it was the law of Bros before Ho's!
  • StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    Thanks Blondie!
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Good observation.

He just didn't want to 'steal' his masters 'possesions'

(oh, and he might not have been into females too?!) 

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

WT has said it was because he knew God's requirement of one man / one wife.

However, didn't his father have many wives.

WT's explanation is BS.

Doc

• Magnum
    Magnum
    Very interesting. Makes sense. I will go back and read the account now with what you said in mind. I will also read the material from the link Blondie provided. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I like stuff like this that makes me think outside the box.
  • prologos
    prologos
    Joseph probably knew the STORY of god interfering in behalf of a marriage's integrity in behalf of Sarah, Abraham, his ancestors. She, P's wife, probably tried to seduce him, --failed, ordered the slave to service her, --failed. His handsomeness is mentioned in the story, her appearance is treated with silence, mercyfully.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit