Quotes PR: Watchtower Sues Website

by ezekiel3 9 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Cute little piece:

Source: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26149

Watchtower sues website

Quoting it brings it into disrepute

By Nick Farrell : Wednesday 14 September 2005, 07:28 A SITE which quotes bits of the Jehovah’s Witness rag Watchtower for the general amusement and edification of its readers has been sued by the magazine for bringing it into disrepute.

The magazine, which is usually seen in the pious paws of a Jehovah’s Witness knocking on your door, is apparently miffed at the antics of site.

According to the writ, which can be seen here, Watchtower is claiming that the publication of selected quotes embarrasses the outfit.

The site provides a search engine of quotes about what has been said in Watchtower. When we tapped in the word ‘the Inquirer’ we found the quote “idi"ot"es, 'one without understanding,' the 'inquirer' are both in the unbeliever class in contrast to the saved of the Christian church".

Besides the obvious claim that the site breaches its copyright, Watchtower says the site might be confused with the real Watchtower because it has the domain name "watchtower.ca" which is trademarked.

Watchtower also wants the site to hand over some CDs of material that are only given to Jehovah Witnesses and is not made available to the general public. The site has been generating some interest by quoting some of this material.

Watchtower wants a donation of $100,000, the site name transferred and a quiet chat with a cup of coffee with the site owners about the end of the world. Wwe (sic) made the last bit up.

• sf
    sf
    According to the writ, which can be seen here, Watchtower is claiming that the publication of selected quotes embarrasses the outfit.

Even though this (cute) piece comes from an "idiot rag" itself, I'm glad the jwdisc forum is linked.

It's about time the general public gets onboard this forum to read the massive amounts of information and intell in regards to this organization, in order that when the jws come knocking, the householder will be "armed" and thus start questioning rather than just paying the jws lip service.

sKally

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have always wondered what is the best way to stop non believers from becoming involved in the Org. No one that has ever worked with me would ever become a Witness, with in an hour of speaking totally honestly about the WTS any of my workmates are shaking their heads and muttering under their breath about the poor deluded members.

I have thought about getting on TV but some bitter ex JW on TV often ends up being good publicity for the WTS. Publicity like this really helps get the message out though, and the WTS is shooting itself in the foot. By this law suite the WTS are getting people alerted to the internet as a source of information on Witnesses and is a sure way of keeping people free from their shakles.

• Country Girl
  • Hellrider
    Hellrider

Personally, I think ALL PR IS GOOD PR !!!!!

Some young witnoid probably hears about this, either on the internet, or from friends, and decides to have a look. And what do you know, the first seed of doubt is planted...

• kid-A
    kid-A

Do they really have a case here?

I seem to recall they successfully sued Kent Steinhaug in Norway, who hosts the "watchtower observer" (great site!!) Or at least I think they forced down the site at one point.

• heretic
    heretic

no (i believe) they threatened to sue him for lost revenue because he printed their material for free,

but they are non profit.. hence no case.

i think watchtower observer is down due to hosting that blew out $$$ wise which ive been meaning to email kent about....

also it is very time consuming for the Big Kahuna who has been working hard for years, only a stubborn viking would keep at them soooo long. nice work

I know he has all the info saved tho so us younger crew should get together to get it back up. power to the people.

i got the hosting covered

Simo if ive said too much please remove this post.

• kid-A
    kid-A

Thats too bad. Watchtower Observer was the very first anti-borg site I stumbled on as a JW teen-ager. It was a great site. I am a huge Kent Steinhaug fan !!

• heretic
    heretic

you met the big guy??

i beered with him at emans bbq. I felt like a groupy but we had some laughs his wifes lovely too.

• kid-A
    kid-A

No never met him, but if hes out there somewhere, I would like him to know he made a big impact on my life all those years ago....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit