Biodiesel... until the car fueled by water is reality... :)

by bebu 33 Replies latest jw friends

• hubert
    hubert

Bebu, Is this potion highly flamable?

I hope you keep a good quality chemical fire extinguisher in an area where you can get at it fast, if needed.

In case of leaks in the system, or line blowouts from over-pressure.

Got smoke alarms installed too?

Good girl.

(I'm serious, now).

Hubert

• bebu
    bebu

Methanol is highly flamable. We don't keep it in our house at all. We have water at the ready in case of a spill outside. The biggest concern we had was methanol--being flamable and toxic to breathe; we had some trouble (as you know!) transferring it into a carboy in the garage, but after that it transferred nicely into the processor via a hose going thru a window. (The processor is just under the window.) We've smoothed the bumps, I think.

The process results in 2 non-toxic products. You could spill these (biodiesel, glycerin) in your home and just be annoyed at the mess, not sick from contamination, etc.

Yes, we have smoke alarms as well as CO2 alarms. Venting too. And, of course, fire extinguishers. And we use gloves and goggles while dealing with the methanol.

bebu

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Oil laws are one of my specialties. Here are my ideas if I were to run for el Presidente.

#1) We currently pay farmers to NOT grow corn in order to keep the corn prices "high." What if we removed the subsidy, put the farmer to work, and had cheaper corn supply to produce cheaper biodiesel? We could also get out of Iraq (and Iran). My Vice President & wing man, Willie Nelson to the rescue! Check this out....http://www.wnbiodiesel.com/

#2) Certain seaweed has a high oil content. Instead of digging up the Louisiana wetlands to build pipelines to carry oil to refineries....use the coastal towns to farm seaweed for biodiesel.

#3) Our tax laws give "deductions" for Hummer's, but not enough support for hybrid cars (once production per manufacturer is over 50,000 units, no more credit). Get rid of those Hummers, and get a diesel. Same for all the boats - go sail or go diesel.

Vote for Skeeter for President! (I am over 35, and born in the U.S. of A. But, I do tawk funny sometimes).

Skeeter (of the "On the Road Again" class). :-)

• hubert
    hubert
    The process results in 2 non-toxic products. You could spill these (biodiesel, glycerin) in your home and just be annoyed at the mess, not sick from contamination, etc.

Yes, we have smoke alarms as well as CO2 alarms. Venting too. And, of course, fire extinguishers. And we use gloves and goggles while dealing with the methanol.

bebu

Thanks for the update, Bebu. I can sleep better now, since I know you are taking all the precautions.

I always worry about fires. I also have smoke alarms in the house, fire extinguishers in the kitchen and garage workshop, I won't run the dryer when not home, and never use candles, unless a power outage.

Hubert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit