Need advice on buying a HDTV (DLP or LCD)

by Leander 4 Replies latest social entertainment

• Leander
    Leander

I'm gearing up to buy my first projection TV (this will be my 2nd hdtv) and I'm having a hard time in choosing between DLP and LCD. Can anyone give me a little insight on their experiences with either technology?

I'm looking for a set that will do at least 720p, with a screen size of 40-46 inches (preferably widescreen but not a neccessity) and at a price of 2k or less including warranty and taxes. I'm not opposed to buying a refurb if I can get a substantial savings and a good warranty. I plan on using the TV for lots of DVD viewing, video games, HTPC applications and cable.

Thanks for any suggestions

• rebel8
    rebel8

Since we're asking questions about TVs, can someone tell me if it's possible to buy a refurbished hdtv box to replace the one I'm renting from the cable giants? I hate renting that stupid box. The new ones are pricier than renting and I can't find any used.

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

Hi!

Are you looking for a front projector or a rear projector?

DLP's, on the other hand, use a spinning color wheel as part of the display system. Some people (like me) can see the "rainbow effect" this color wheel produces, especially in bright, fast moving scenes. Newer DLP's use a faster spinning wheel, (10,000 RPM plus)to minimize the rainbow effect but these sets are out of your price range.

One thing both displays have in common is the use of a replaceable backlight bulb. These last about 3 to 5 years on average and are easy to replace at a cost of about $200.

As for specific models, Sony makes a 42" LCD which should be within your price range. LG makes a 44" DLP which might be in your price range if you catch it on sale.

Bottom line: Shop and compare! Look at picture quality. Can you see the artifacts I described? Do your homework and I'm sure you'll make a great purchace!

Cyrus The Persian

• Leander
    Leander

THanks for the advice Cyrus, I've done a little footwork myself and your info is dead on with what I researched. Apparently the screendoor effect is more noticeable than the rainbows found on DLPs. I think this weekend I'll end up standing around in a few electronic stores here trying to see if I notice those artifacts hopefully not. So far I have my eye on Samsungs 2005 models, in particular the 46 inch DLP. It's a bit more than I anticipated on spending but I think the few extra dollars will worth it.

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

Hi! Glad I could be of help. One more piece of advice on buying a DLP. Take Mrs. Leander and any Leander Jr's with you when you go to the store. Apparantly the ability to see the rainbow effect varies from person to person due to each individual's persistence of vision. You'd hate to buy an expensive TV only to find that Junior can't stand to watch it. The rainbow effect can be very annoying. The Samsung 46" is an excellent choice BTW, prices may come down more as Christmas approaches so you may catch it on sale. Cyrus the Persian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit