We're bracing for Hurricane Rita down here in SE Texas.

by Frannie Banannie 40 Replies latest social current

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I'm NOT looking fwd to going to the grocery store this evening. I imagine that by now, most of what we should have on hand will be empty shelves in the stores. Oh, well. We're gonna try and get some shtuff in here and begin cooking tomorrow. At least Katrina taught everyone to start seriously evacuating early and to be prepared. Even here just South of Conroe, 45 miles inland, the local weather news is showing that we'll receive the strongest winds from Rita, even though we're on the outer circumference of the storm when it hits the coast. I called the g/kids schools this morning and they haven't closed yet, but I imagine they will be by tomorrow. I just hope none of our cars gets hit by tree limbs or downed power lines. They aren't garaged. Frannie

• JH
    JH

I'M sorry to hear that you're in Rita's path Is it still a category 2 hurricane?

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    I'M sorry to hear that you're in Rita's path Is it still a category 2 hurricane?

Thanks, JH. Nooooo, it's not even halfway across the Gulf yet and it's been upgraded to category 4 as of this morning. No telling what it'll be by late Friday night/early Saturday morning when it hits.

Frannie

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    I just hope none of our cars gets hit by tree limbs or downed power lines. They aren't garaged.

That's what insurance is for. Cars can be replaced, I hope YOU, your family and your neighbours are OK.

Good luck and keep safe.

Kwin

• Legolas
    Legolas

Be safe!

• Soledad
    Soledad

Sucks! Dont worry about the darn cars, you need to stay safe!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Thanks, Legolas and Kwin.

That's what insurance is for. Cars can be replaced, I hope YOU, your family and your neighbours are OK.

Heh.....strange what we think about when we're faced with possible catastrophe's, eh? Yah, we've got insurance. I'm sure we'll be okay...it's just the possibility of power outages for indefinite time period that's looming ominously....besides the potential for tornadoes in the interim and aftermath.

Frannie

• jstalin
    jstalin

Make it a game! Think of it as practice for Armageddon.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    ...it's just the possibility of power outages for indefinite time period that's looming ominously

Nothing worse then losing your power, especially when there's a list as long as the powerline from the pole to your house of people waiting to get their's back on.

2 years ago we were hit by Hurricane Jaun, it was a low Category 2/high category 1 when it hit, but did the damage of a 3 or 4 because it was the first one to hit here in over 50 years. The amount of tree growth around the power lines an poles blacked out the city for days. It was almost two weeks before our power was back on again. One of our neighbours house burnt down a week after because of a candle.

We lost about $500 worth of food in our fridge and freezer, but thankfully we had no damage to our home, car or ourselves.

I was actually working during the hurricane, I drive a bus for the city transit department, and driving down a hill where I had a complete view of the city, it was amazing seeing explosions of blue and purple and green all over. It was quite the light show! It unfortunately was power transformers exploding, after each explosion, a neighbourhood would go dark.

Keep safe, really.

Kwin

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Sucks! Dont worry about the darn cars, you need to stay safe!

Yah, I know Soledad. We're insured. There's just been a lot of dealing with my personal vehicle lately and it was foremost on my mind so I had a brain fart about it...heh

Make it a game! Think of it as practice for Armageddon.

Jstalin, that's too funny!! Harm-a-gettin' isn't a weather phenomenon or my hair'd be standin' on end. I've been thru too many hurricanes to get very excited. The only one that gave me the heebie jeebies was in 1988 when Gilbert (category 10) hurricane was sitting at the mouth of the Gulf and the edges of it already reached SE Texas and we were experiencing showers!!! Thank goodness it went into the mountains of Mexico. Kwin, we've been caught in power outages for up to a week at a time down here before. My daughter asked me to email her a list for the groc. store. I'm including charcoal and charcoal lighter for the grill and ice for the ice chests.

Frannie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit