Jehovah’s Witnesses and Education – A Brief History

by Nicodemus 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dozy
    dozy

The article in '95 opened the floodgates and I suspect that the motivation for the 2005 WT was to try to damp down the tendency among JW parents to encourage higher education , rather than a "tug of war" at HQ. I am always puzzled by the arbitrary distinction between "vocational" courses (which are OK) and academic courses (which aren't). In my limited experience , the kind of associates that a young witness would have at a technical college would be far more damaging (in witness terms) than those at a university.

In any case , JW parents & youths (ouch) tend to vote with their feet on this issue. I know many devout JW parents who kowtow to the WTS on every issue and who would never criticise or listen to criticism of the WTS who have sent their children to university.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Great well researched post must have taken some time to prepare. Indeed the devious enticement of religion is apparent here: "what could be better than serving jehovah the more the better think about pioneering, missionary work don't go for the temporary worldly objectives"

Many that followed this advice grew old and without money, the WTS jehovah's reps on earth refuse to help them despite the many years of service they put in.

"Wait until armageddon" they tell them "it's just round the corner then jehovah will abundantly reward you because you served him so well."

That's the archetypal exploitative cunning of religion, God will reward not them.

• zagor
    zagor

If those in higher jw-echelons of power had any brain at all they would want more educated people in their midst; that would then ensure a long term survival of this religion. Ignorance has never brought any long-term benefits to any community, yet jw leadership somehow believes they will be an exception. IF they had intelligent people in their midst they would not have to fear "apostate" influence, because members of the community would be able to hold intelligent conversation and possibly even win others on their side. They would bring more money in, since better-educated people usually hold better-paid jobs. And above all they would have much better reputation even among their enemies. Unfortunately, average witless is utterly unprepared for any intelligent discussion, whatsoever. Why do you think as soon as they find someone who is a bit "brainier" in the field service they tend to run to PO or CO when one comes to visit, thinking these guys have systematic knowledge of the bible and can answer anything?

• Nicodemus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit