yellow-bellied sapsuckers

by Cellist 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Cellist
    Cellist

No, nothing to do with JWs. Does anybody know how to effectively deal with these birds? They're busy trying to kill all our good trees!!! And they won't give up.

Cellist

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

put some poison in the bird feeder

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    yellow-bellied sapsuckers

I've heard that Grey Haired Old Foggies are great to chasing off birds... just make sure they have a cane to swing around.

• Cellist
    Cellist

Buttlight, they don't feed at the bird feeder. They just drill holes all over the tree trunks until the tree dies.

Elsewhere, that sounds like a good idea. But we don't have one.

Cellist

• Finally-Free
  • Legolas
    Legolas

Question of the Week: I have holes bored in my maple tree up about five feet from the ground, and they are almost in a straight line. Can you give me any idea what this is and how to get rid of the pest?

Answer: Holes that have a pattern, such as evenly spaced holes in a horizontal

line around the trunk or branches is usually the work of the yellow-bellied sapsucker. This migratory woodpecker arrives along the

• Legolas
    Legolas

A: Your letter typically describes the work of yellow bellied sapsuckers. They are a medium-size woodpecker that has bands of red, black and white on the head with a belly that is yellow and a black and white back. They eat the nutritious inner bark of trees. In doing so, they make a series of small, evenly spaced holes. Sap fills the holes, and insects are attracted to the sap and become stuck in it. Then the sapsucker feeds on both the insects and the sap.

Q: Virginia Tech tree authority Bonnie Appleton at the Hampton Roads Research Center says the holes normally do not hurt the tree, and there is not much you can do about them. Some people put a band of sticky Tanglefoot, available at garden centers, above and below the row of holes. When the sapsucker puts his feet into this sticky goo, the bird may decide it is not worth the mess and leave.

• Legolas
    Legolas

Question of the Week: I have holes bored in my maple tree up about five feet from the ground, and they are almost in a straight line. Can you give me any idea what this is and how to get rid of the pest?

Answer: Holes that have a pattern, such as evenly spaced holes in a horizontal

line around the trunk or branches is usually the work of the yellow-bellied sapsucker. This migratory woodpecker arrives along the

• Legolas
    Legolas

Sorry for some reason that one won't come in!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Elsewhere, that sounds like a good idea. But we don't have one.

Not a problem... they tend to gather in public parks during the daytime. To catch one you just need to use a special call that will draw them to you. One of them goes something like this: "J. Edgar Hoover was a scoundrel!"... another one you can use sounds something like this: "Social Security should be cut back!"

Just repeat those special calls a few times and before you know it you will be surrounded by a "troop" of Grey Haired Old Foggies wanting to responding.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit