NASA: Humans Back to the Moon

by Gerard 62 Replies latest social current

• Gerard
    Gerard

Nasa plans return to Moon by 2020 "This vision aims to return humans to the Moon, and then to use it as a staging point for a manned mission to Mars." I wonder if JWs will be required to canvas those areas too.

• kid-A
    kid-A

Most of them are already living in outer space.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm very disappointed that it will take so long. Hell, JFK did it in less than ten years and in doing so NASA had to invent all sorts of new technologies. Within the 10 years NASA figured out space walking, redeavou, space navigation, and many other thing critical for going to the moon. They even had to invent an intirely new type of computer system.

Right now NASA already knows how to do all of that stuff with off-the-shelf items and computers are everywhere these days. Your average cell phone has 1000 times more processing power than all of the computers on the Apollo rocket and ground control combined.

A decent time frame would be 5 years to the moon... anything beyond that is simply incompatence.

• Gerard
    Gerard

I'm under the impression that NASA is tided up with the International Space Station (ISS) because it is the best plataform for human space travel. This news of using rockets from Earth to Moon without using the ISS makes no sense.

• horrible life
    horrible life

Husband and I went to see Ron White last weekend. He said NASA needed to rethink the foam idea. He said his brother in law came over, and sat on his styrofoam cooler. It shattered. And this is what we send our astronauts into space covered with? HL

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I'm under the impression that NASA is tided up with the International Space Station (ISS) because it is the best plataform for human space travel. This news of using rockets from Earth to Moon without using the ISS makes no sense.

30 years ago the Space Shuttle was designed for the primary purpose of constructing the Space Station. The Space Station's primary purpose was supposed to be a launching platform to colonize the moon. The Moon Colonies primary purpose was supposed to act as a launching platform to colonize mars.

NASA has been fcking around and spinning their wheels for 30 years getting nothing done. I chalk this up to gross incompetence on the part of NASA's leadership.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Husband and I went to see Ron White last weekend. He said NASA needed to rethink the foam idea. He said his brother in law came over, and sat on his styrofoam cooler. It shattered. And this is what we send our astronauts into space covered with?

That's nothing. Remember the Lunar Lander and that shiny gold material it was made of? That was the "wall" that protected the astronauts from the vacuum of space and was nothing more than gold foil thinner than the aluminum foil you use in your kitchen.

One accidental brush against it would have killed the astronauts.

• talesin
    talesin

I agree, it`s shocking how in 30 years (and let`s not forget the previous 2 decades), all this money has been spent, and for what?

It`s like a parent who has a sick child that needs medication. The parent, instead of buying the expensive meds, spends her money on a new XBox and video games, a big screen TV ... you know, toys, while the child sickens and dies.

We (governments) are spending all this money on a program that will do nothing concrete for us (except increase and ensure military power) for decades or centuries to come, while the problems of the world are growing every year, people are dying, and we can`t afford to change things ...

tal

(sorry to be a wet blanket)

• Simon
    Simon

I don't see what going to the moon again achieves? Let alone Mars !!

Imagine the things that the oney could be spent on and how many lives could be improved here on earth?

The future of space exploration is by robots.

Some point to the spin offs from the space programme (like, erm ... velcro) but if we really wanted those inventions the money could be better spent directly funding R&D IMO.

I think NASA has done some amazing achievements but some of what they do just makes me thing "why?". Especially when it's some politician deciding what to do to try and look "monumental" (correct without the "monu" bit) rather than doing things for good scientific benefit.

What does putting a man on Mars do for us? really?

• Caedes
    Caedes

At least it might put an end to the endless "they didn't really go to the moon you know, it was all faked" nonsense. And as for a reason to go in the first place, I would say potentially the survival of the human race is quite a good reason to go, although I take the point about saving the planet first.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit