What is or was your favorite.......

by defd 51 Replies latest jw friends

• jstalin
    jstalin
    I believe the old prophet acted out of self-defense. Those children were probably a teenage gang of hoods and they were going to kill the prophet.

Well, let's take a look.

2 Kings 2:23, 24
    23 And he proceeded to go up from there to Beth´el. As he was going up on the way, there were small boys that came out from the city and began to jeer him and that kept saying to him: “Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!”

You just completely made up your statement. They were "probably" teenage gang members? Did you even read the quote? They're small boys.

And are they threatening to kill him?

24 Finally he turned behind him and saw them and called down evil upon them in the name of Jehovah.

He heard them, looked behind him, and saw them. Hardly a threatening situation. They were behind him. He heard them, which caused him to turn around. They weren't exactly beating him. They were just jeering.

Dont feel sorry for them. In fact, it was the bear that killed them, not the prophet. If you are blaming the prophet for telling a bear to do that, then you are saying the prophet had the power of God to command the bear to do so.

I said no such thing. I quoted the scripture. He called evil upon them in the name of Jehovah. Jehovah obliged. Either that, or Elisha had the power of Jehovah. Which one is it? Elisha called upon Jehovah to bring evil upon the children, and evil came, from Jehovah. So, in other words, Jehovah committed an evil act.

Then two she-bears came out from the woods and went tearing to pieces forty-two children of their number.

Elisha was walking along, heard small boys jeering him, called on Jehovah to bring evil upon the children, and two she-bears came out of the woods and mauled the 42 "small boys" to death. It's that simple.

Is this the Kingdom paradise that Jehovah is setting an example of? No thanks, I'd rather be cut off.

• Carmel
    Carmel

"Oh Son of Spirit! My first counsel is this: Possess a pure, kindly and radiant heart, that thine may be a sovereignty ancient, imperishable and everlasting."

First Hidden Word from the Arabic

carmel

• Carmel
    Carmel

"Oh Son of Spirit! My first counsel is this: Possess a pure, kindly and radiant heart, that thine may be a sovereignty ancient, imperishable and everlasting."

First Hidden Word from the Arabic

carmel

• bebu
    bebu

Psalm 73:
    25 Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You. 26 My flesh and my heart fail; But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

That one has long been my favorite verse too, sad emo!

bebu

• bebu
    bebu

On an aside, looking at that verse above (from Psalm 73), it is pretty interesting to note that the deep desire of the writer wasn't a place--ie, heaven or earth--but the presence of God. And paradise earth (a la the JWs) would not satisfy this psalm writer, obviously. If one loves God with all heart, soul, and strength, then one never desires a place (even a nice-looking one)... but God.

bebu

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

These are some beautiful gems that are found outside the usual Bible canon:

"Where there is but one, I am with him. Lift up a stone, and you will find me there. Split a piece of wood, and I am there" (Gospel of Thomas 30, 77b)
    "If those who teach you say that the kingdom is in the sky, then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you that the kingdom is under the earth, then the fish of the sea will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside you, and it is outside you" (Gospel of Thomas 3).
    "As the sun is the joy to them who seek its daybreak, so is my joy the Lord. Because he is my sun, and his rays have restored me, and his light has dismissed all darkness from my face. Eyes I have possessed in him, and have seen his holy day. Ears I have acquired and have heard his truth. Death has been destroyed before my face, and Sheol has been vanquished by my word. And eternal life has arisen in the Lord's land and it has become known to his faithful ones, and been given without limit to all that trust in him, Hallelujah" (Odes of Solomon 15:1-4, 9-10).
    "A cup of milk was offered to me, and I drank it in the sweetness of the Lord's kindness. The Son is the cup, and the Father is he who was milked, and the Holy Spirit is she who milked him. Because his breasts were full, and it was undesirable that his milk should be released without purpose. The Holy Spirit opened her bosom and mixed the milk of the two breasts of the Father. Then she gave the mixture to the generation without their knowing and those who received it are in the perfection of the right hand" (Odes of Solomon 19:1-5).
    "Put on the grace of the Lord generously, and come into his Paradise, and make for yourself a crown from his tree. Then put it on your head and be refreshed and recline upon his serenity. For his glory will go before you and you will receive of his kindness and grace, and you will be annointed in truth with the praise of his holiness" (Odes of Solomon 20:7-9).
    "As honey drips from the honeycomb of bees, and milk flows from the woman who loves her children, so also is my hope upon you, O my God. As a spring gushes forth its water, so my heart gushes forth praise to the Lord, and my lips bring praise to him" (Odes of Solomon 40:1-2).
  • Cygnus
    Cygnus

*** Rbi8 Jeremiah 25:27 ***

‘This is what Jehovah of armies, the God of Israel, has said: "Drink and get drunk and puke and fall so that YOU cannot get up...'"

• yesidid
    yesidid
    And whatever it is that YOU do in word or in work, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, thanking God the Father through him. Colossions 3:17NWT

yesidid

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

"And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.

"Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in has not ceased to kiss my feet.

"My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.

"Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, loveth little." --Luke 7:44-50

~Merry

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

"And he smote the men of Bethshemesh, because they had looked into the ark of the Lord, even he smote of the people fifty thousand and threescore and ten men: and the people lamented, because the Lord had smitten many of the people with a great slaughter." 1 Samuel 6:19

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit