Making Strides

by Kristen 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Kristen
    Kristen

I realized that one year has passed since I initially signed up on this board. A year ago I was afraid of being part of this place; but knew it was necessary if I wanted to move beyond where I was. Today I am totally comfortable being around here. Experience is a great teacher. People are so human. I hate the way the WTBTS paints those who leave the organization. In many ways, they are just so wrong.

I asked myself a question today about how much this place has been of support and enlightement to me. Has my being here added to my life or just made things more confusing where I am? It has been an interesting journey. At times it is overwhelming. But some days I'll take away a nugget or two that makes me stronger, more aware, and less naiive about the organization, people, and life itself. I have gained a lot of insight through the contributions of others—even if I am not on the same wavelength as them. There is a lot of clutter here sometimes, but layered within are things worthy of coming back for. I am not a mega-poster; the way I contribute and absorb has very little to do with the number under my name. I am very involved at times behind the scenes and often with my heart and mind.

I have come to realize the value in being open to new ideas. Of listening to people who I would never have the opportunity to IRL. To at least give consideration to ideas that I've never been "allowed" to before. I still may not agree, but I learn to see how another person does. To me, that has much value.

Thank you to everyone who comes to this board with something to share. To discuss things in a constructive way. To help others, and to inform others. And even when you share something very human about yourself, it may resonate in people in ways you may never realize. We all impact someone else's life—even if we just reply with one of these -->

I am so thankful that we have this medium to group together. I can't imagine how lonely and isolated people were before being able to go online and connect with others who shared this part of their lives.

I hurt for all of you who are hurting. I am sad that the people who should be showing the most love and support to you are governed by policies and rules . . . that are just so ridiculous sometimes.

I have made great strides over this past year. I am in the middle of some major breakthroughs with some people in my life; dealing with issues that have held me in limbo for quite a few years. I am growing up.

Thank you again, all. And to Simon and Angharad, thank you for all you do to maintain this place. It has truly added value to my life.

Kind regards,
    Kristen

(edited to fix a speeling error

• Esmeralda
    Esmeralda
    thank you for all you do to maintain this place. It has truly added value to my life.

As your words have added value to ours, Kristen! Happy 'anniversary'!

*hugs*
    Essie

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

Kristen - I have yet to make your aquaintence on this board, our paths are yet to cross! Yet I still wanted to offer my best wishes for your first year here and I hope you will continue to find much support and comfort here, also a little light relief on occasions!

I am total agreement with you when you point out the loneliness and isolation that can be felt before you come to a place like this, my greatest wish is that more people could be made aware of the benefits of coming here and sharing their experiences, I would like to take this opportunity to encourage those that lurk and are reluctant to take the plunge to do so unreservedly. I lurked for a long time before diving in and I am so glad that I did, it has made such a difference to be able to express myself here, I have managed to offload so much emotional baggage.

So Kristen, here's looking forward to the next 12 months......

• Kristen
    Kristen

Es,
    You have always been one of my favorite people. (((HUGS)))

IW,
    Thank you too for your sincere response. I have always enjoyed your posts and insights you share.

Thanks again,
    Kristen

• Prisca
    Prisca

Kristen,

Thank you for expressing your thoughts about this board, as many of the things you said are exactly how I feel!

Sometimes I feel I should leave this DB, as it often takes out more energy from me that it gives. Yet, at that same time, someone comes out who needs help, or someone comes out with a certain insight on something I hadn't considered before, and I am encouraged to stay just a little longer.

I am glad this DB is here - it has grown in the past year, and changed according to the personalities who post here. I have had the privlege to have met some of these individuals, and there are many others I wish I could meet, was it not for the Pacific Ocean dividing us.

My thanks go to Simon and Ann, for all their hard work in maintaining this place, and to everyone here who keeps it alive by continually posting.

Long live JW.com!!

• Kat_
    Kat_

Kristen,
    Congrats! You expressed your thoughts so eloquently and perfectly. I related to a lot of the things you said about respecting others' opinions and valuing them. I am happy you've done well and yours is an example of 'growing up' that I hope to follow successfully.

Kat

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

Hey Kristen......

My sentiments exactly. Congrats on all your successes and breakthroughs. Doesn't it feel good to finally be able to think for yourself! Cheers to freedom!

BW

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

<--- i know what you mean Kristen.

Path

• Simon
    Simon

Thanks Kristen, I feel very priveledged to be able to provide somewhere like this that so many people choose to visit. It does take a fair amount of time and money but the positive feedback that I get does make it all worthwhile. Thank you for you comments.

• think41self
    think41self

Hi Kristen,

I just talked to you last night in chat.

I am so glad you are doing well in your personal growth. So many of us are. This board is a great place to share experiences, ask for advice, get encouragement...and occasionally test your mental mettle!
    I look forward to getting to know you better.

think41self

"When agnostics die, do they go to the great perhaps"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit