Do you find the bible boring?

by ChrisVance 28 Replies latest jw friends

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

I was raised as a dub, and I suppose when I was quite young I found some of the bible stories interesting. However, the older I got the more boring the bible seemed. Obviously, it had a lot to do with repetition. Over and over again. I especially hated the "creation" story. It seems like the botchtower went over that one a million times. I never did think much of the dramas, but I liked the modern day ones over bible-times ones. Of course, many were a mix to show how the bible applied to modern times. The mental gymnacists necessary to "understand" how everything foreshadowed the "slave class" were oppressive. Not just in the drama, but in all the "socities" lit. The thought of reading the bible as literature leaves me cold, even after 14 years. Anyone else feel this way?

• gaybeat
    gaybeat

Oh i find it really boring, it would be nice to have bibly studies at the gym on the treadmill.

• kid-A
    kid-A

I completely agree. Which is difficult to understand, I mean, the bible has pretty much got it all in terms of plot and characters, sex, violence, war, scandals, intrigue, climactic ending....but I dont know.....its just so painfully tedious to read.....maybe it just loses its punch when its translated from the original languages, like so many other great pieces of literature.

• flower
    flower

Even just the idea of reading the bible bores me to tears now. I tried to read parts of it w/ a more open mind since I left but after twenty some years of reading it I found that I couldnt even read one chapter w/o being bored to tears and just not giving a damn about what it was supposed to mean. I'm agnostic for the most part but I figure if there is a God and he wants to tell me somethin he'll have to write it in a modern day, interesting format.

• gaybeat
    gaybeat

The language reminds me of Mojo Jojo form Powerpuffgirls, but less exciting. For the bible speaks like this, and it has found to be boring in modern times. However, it was not found as boring as the King James version, for it is unreadable to the modern day tongue. And in these days of the times soon to end, there was a great undeniable need for "ENGRISH", for YOU men, women, and YOU virgins have taken the time to laugh at it with humour. FOR I AM MOJO JOJO!

Ok i have tried, but I'm sorry to say that the Watchtower Society's publications are by far more interesting unfortunately you know where that leads to....

• John Doe
    John Doe

Sounds like short attention span problems.

• Soledad
    Soledad

I don't know if it's the NWT but when I read from the NIV I don't find it as boring

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The language in it twists my brain in knots. Some of it is interesting though.

• flower
    flower
    Sounds like short attention span problems.

nah, more like a low tolerance for religious bs problem. ;)

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Some parts are boring, others are not, like Sirach, wherein he encourages people to induce vomiting if they eat too much. Now that's interesting, plus it shows the Hellenistic influence on, coincidentally, Jewish though during the Hellenistic period.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit