Prohibition or what ?

by KAYTEE 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• under74
    under74
    Anything over .5% was banned

Sounds about right...don't they still have that law in Utah? Any beer over 4.9 % isn't sold....that's what I heard at least.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Here you go:

Limited amounts of wine and hard cider were permitted to be made at home. Some wine was still produced in the U.S. but was only available through government warehouses for use in religious ceremonies, particularly for communion in Roman Catholic and Episcopal churches and in some Jewish ceremonies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

...or maybe they just smoked pot instead.

And that "wine is only for the annointed"-thing is just something they came up with so they didn`t have to share their wino. After all, why share when you can have it all yourself. Hm...there is much wizdom among the annointed, me thinks..

• blondie
    blondie

During that time sacramental wine was exempt. There was a winery in New York and one in California that were licensed. I have visited both and they tell you that on the tour.

I understand that Rutherford had Canadian brothers that smuggled in alcohol. His booklet on Prohibition was it was the law was of Satanic design and was unscriptural.

Blondie

• thom
    thom

As some have mentioned, I would think that wine for religious purposes was most likely exempt.
    Here in Arizona (and probably other places) Indians may smoke certain things for ritual purposes even though it's illegal for any other purpose.

• kid-A
    kid-A

Interesting question especially considering that Judge "Booze" Rutherford was rabidly opposed to prohibition!!

booze1.jpg (12807 bytes)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit