Movies...the Good, the Bad & the Ugly

by hibiscusfire 23 Replies latest social entertainment

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Gangs of New York was awesome. Scorsese is a national treasure.

Life is Beautiful

To Live and Die in LA

Monty Python- Holy Grail and Meaning of Life

Gold Rush, Modern Times, City Lights, The Kid- all films by Charlie Chaplin.

Swingers

Napoleon Dynamite

Slacker

Run Lola Run

Mystery Train

These are all movies I'll watch multiple times.

edited to add: Troy, starring a baby-oil coated Brad Pitt, was the worst movie I've seen in the past year. Somehow they managed to turn a truly exciting story into silly, vapid mush. The script was ridiculous and the acting was bad, even by Brad Pitt's standards.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Bulworth

It speaks to the desperate reflection of poverty and ghetto life. The rich corporations who fuel the fires of the direction of the economy. Insurance corporations, health, life, their covert schemes to keep people in as helpless a condition as possible. The biased leaning of the media. How they carefully select their propaganda to make what they are secretly fighting for or against, appear to be deemed as newsworthy or nonsense, all according to what company's in your pocket.

A tragic black comedy, but speaks to the reflection of our times.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

There are tons of movies I am fond of so I won't bother listing them here.

However, let it be know I am pissed that I have tried to download The Exorcism of Emily Rose and not once have I gotten the real movie. Everything is either a stupid B comedy or Rob Zombie's movie. I guess I'll have to wait for the DVD. I just don't understand titling a film as being one thing and the content is completely different. Ooooh yeah, you guys goit me! Jerks.

Edited to add: I have learned and memorized the entire screenplay to A Clockwork Orange and have gone so far as to purchase nearly all the elements that would make up a droogan Alex DeLarge costume, right up to the false eyelashes and mascara, and wig to simulate his 1970 hair. Sir Anthony Hopkins is one of my favorite actors, The first film I went to a cinema to watch was Star Wars Episode IV in 1977 and I have fond memories of my mom taking us kids to the outdoor Drive-in, hooking the mono sound receiver to the car window, and watching movies like Condorman.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I like the old movies from the 40s and 50s. My Dad, Uncle, cousins operated the movie projectors at several theaters when I was young and I could get in free, so I saw all the movies from those days. I also worked as a substitute projectionist when they went on vacation when I was a teenager. My brain has died so I can't remember the names of those old movies, but I watch them on TV. I get so melancholy lately when I go buy the old places I remember from my youth. Most of the old theaters are not there anymore.

Ken P.

• talesin
    talesin

Do you like to watch movies or tv? Mostly movies, but I like some TV.

What movies would you watch over and over? Excalibur, Doctor Zhivago (anything by David Lean), all MP flicks, Disney cartoons (esp Lion King, Little Mermaid & Sleeping Beauty), 40s/50s movies, and just about anything starring la Streisand/Al Pacino/Robert Duval/Colleen Dewhirst/Susan Sarandon/Nic Cage/Richard Gere/Goldie Hawn/Eddie Murphy/Bogie/Lana Turner/Lauren Bacall.

What movies do you like? All genres, except the Carmen Miranda/Rogers&Astaire-type musicals.

Which movies were the worst? Beloved! Musical extravaganzas with lousy plotlines and acting, stoopid comedies (eg, Deuce Bigalow), gratuitous violence a la Tarantino and most 'slasher' flicks, bad sci-fi.

What movies seemed related to your life. Powder, Harry and Tonto.

The characters portray real life or not. Do you see yourself like them? Sometimes. Do you want to be like them? Rarely (I would love to live like Grizzly Adams or The Wilderness Family).

Love the glamour? Occasionally. I loved Rita Hayworth in Gilda, now she was glamorous!

• blue1
    blue1

Hi,

I like to watch movies in general. I love "Pay it forward ,City of angels"

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Some of my all-time faves: The Thirty-Nine Steps (1978 remake with Robert Powell), which I was obsessed with for many years in my youth, Somewhere in Time, My Cousin Vinny, GoodFellas, Strange Days, Pulp Fiction, Fargo, Sixteen Candles, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars Empire Strikes Back, Titanic, Desperado, Ace Ventura Pet Detective, Fifth Element, Galaxy Quest, Election, ExistenZ, Mulholland Drive, Jurassic Park, Since You Went Away, Citizen Kane, Wizard of Oz, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Secret of NIMH, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Back to the Future I & III, and ..... whatever else I can't remember.

I've hated a lot of movies over the years, but few of them have been memorable at all. One intersting thing is the movie Batteries Not Included which I sort of despised when I saw it as a teen. Then later I got to know the guy who made all the flying saucer creatures, so that made me think maybe I should not hate it so much....LOL

• kazar
    kazar

Talesin

Thanks for reminding me of Gilda. I had completely forgotten that one. When Rita Hayworth sang "Put the Blame on Mame" it was powerful. I also liked "Whos afraid of Virginia Woolf"

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

finallyfree:

the Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Great movie.

You something I never saw this movie and if I did I can't remember it.

What's the storyline? Why is it so great?

Hibie

• Legolas
    Legolas

Hosted by Tinypic.com

Of course, of course!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit