Are birthdays now a "conscience matter" for JWs?

by Elsewhere 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

A few months ago my JW sister emailed me out of the blue asking for me to suggest a good telescope for her little girl (about 12, but I'm not sure). My niece has had a strong interest in science since she was very little and my sister is trying to encourage her. If you are wondering, yes, my sister and her JW husband do shun me... so basically she got the info she needed and then disappeared again.

Even still, I feel compelled to give my niece another science related gift. When she was about seven I sent her a very nice magnetic compass that was mounted in a wooden box with a hinged lid and brass fittings. I included a letter telling my niece about how Einstein first became interested in science when he was a little boy and was amazed at how a magnetic compass worked through invisible forces that no one really understood.

Yesterday I started thinking about buying her a microscope set... but I would very much like to mail it to her as a birthday present.

Has the organization published anything recently that would suggest that birthdays are more of a conscience matter so I can quote it in an email to my sister?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Are birthdays now a "conscience matter" for JWs?

They always were!

• myself
    myself

Don't worry about tagging it as a birthday gift. Send it at the time of her birthday, she'll know what you are intending, but you will put her on the spot with her parents if it is sent as a birthday present.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

If I'm not mistaken, if you give a b-day present or have a small party and don't advocate it or advertise it to the congregation, the elders won't mind. In other words, I don't think it's in the list of DFing offences in the Flock book. In my JW family, when I was a kid, when someone had a birthday my dad would lead everyone into saying loudly and proudly "HH-AA-PP-PP-YY BB-II-RR-TT-HH-DD-AA-TT-EE so and so". I always thought that was neat.

• Es
    Es

wow i never knew they were a conscience matter. Has anybody got any written info on that i would love to show my dad that. I know elders who on the quiet celebrate birthdays.

es

• free2beme
    free2beme

Depends on your congregation. Although, if you did celebrate that evil day, you might not want to pass annoucements and invites in the Kingdom Hall.

• Brymichmom
    Brymichmom

Here is an article from the July 8, 2004 Awake Magazine, page 30:
    ********************************************************** PiñatasI read with interest the article "The Piñata—An Ancient Tradition." (September 22, 2003) It left me with some questions. The ties to false religion are well-documented. But the article seemed to take the position that as long as it doesn’t bother someone’s conscience, it is OK. What about birthdays and holidays such as Christmas? S. W., United States

"Awake!" responds: Christians refrain from any celebrations or customs that continue to involve false religious beliefs or activities that violate Bible principles. For example, the Bible definitely puts birthday celebrations in a bad light. (Genesis 40:20; Matthew 14:6-10) However, if it is very obvious that a custom has no current false religious significance and involves no violation of Bible principles, each Christian must make a personal decision as to whether he will follow such a custom.

(underlining and bolding mine)

CH

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Persons who deliberately spread (stubbornly hold to and

speak about) teachings contrary to Bible truth as taught

by Jehovah's Witnesses are apostates.

The Bible condemns the following:

Causing divisions and promoting sects.

This would be deliberate action disrupting the unity

of the congregation or undermining the confidence

of the brothers in Jehovah's arrangement.

There are certain cases that the body of elders is respon-

sible to investigate and, when necessary, appoint a judi-

cial committee to handle:

Any serious sin that constitutes a clear threat of contami-

nating the congregation. (I Cor. 5:6, 9-11; Gal. 5:19-21;

1 Tim. 1:9, 10)

Depending upon length of inactivity and other factors

suggested above, elders may determine to hold the

matter in abeyance.

If individuals Persist in "walking, disorderly" in serious

violation of well-established Bible principles, but not yet

to a degree warranting judicial action, they may be

«marked» by members of the congregation. (2 Thess. 3:

6, 14, 15; w85 4/15 pp. 30-1; om pp. 152-3)

However, this would occur only after repeated efforts to

provide authoritative Scriptural counsel and admonition

have been ignored and in many cases after a warning talk

has been given to the congregation. (w85 4/15 pp. 30-1;

w81 9/1 pp. 19-21 )

If a person who has been marked continues his wrongful

course in brazen defiance of Christian standards, ada-

mantly rejecting loving Scriptural counsel,
    judicial action

may be taken if the situation becomes scandalous loose

conduct.

If an individual takes a course contrary to the neutral

position of the Christian congregation, the congregation

is compelled to view him as one who has chosen to

separate from us. (Isa. 2:4;John 15:17-19)

Elders must guard against automatic or letter-of-the-law

application of punishment for breaking God's laws.

Elders must always seriously consider the guidelines that

serve to protect the congregation and keep it clean in Jeho-

vah's sight. They must also treat God's flock with tenderness.

The law of the Christ consists of a body of rules for

Christian conduct.

Yet b-day celebrations are never mentioned, again, if I'm not mistaken.

• chrissy
    chrissy

i've heard stories to this effect...bdays being a conscience matter. i asked my mom about it and she laughed and said no and it was almost like she wanted to know who was celebrating their bdays. she wanted names?

but i am convinced that they are more hardcore in pittsburgh because thats where taz and this entire crazy movement started. they tend to keep it real. (real insane)

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I posted a discussion of the piñata article earlier this year that shows that the WTS was not saying that birthdays are up to a "personal decision". The article is unfortunately phrased very poorly, but it is clear that no change in position is involved; the writer cites "birthdays" as an example of "customs ... that violate Bible principles" and thus should be refrained from. The concept is clearer ironically when the passage is read in reverse:

"Each Christian must make a personal decision as to whether he will follow a custom (ONLY) if it is very obvious that a custom has no current false religious significance and involves no violation of Bible principles. The Bible definitely puts birthday celebrations in a bad light. Christians should refrain from such celebrations or customs that violate Bible principles."

Brymichmom....Are you from the Yahoo! ex-JW discussion group? If so, hi!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit