B.O.O.B.S.

by simplesally 17 Replies latest jw friends

• simplesally
    simplesally

Outnfree just sent me the book with that title. It means "a Bunch Of Outrageous Breast-cancer Survivors". It's a book about women who tell their stories of courage, hope and healing.

As many of you know, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and just went thru a mastectomy and have started reconstruction work already, which is painful when they inject the saline to stretch my skin. Even today, 2 days later from the injection, my breast is very sore. In October, I will go to the oncologist and find out what my chemo regimen will be. My final pathology report revealed it was a 1.7cm tumor and nodes (2) were negative. It's estrogen postive so that means I will go on hormone blockers at some point (this is good news that it was estrogen positive. I was grade 2-3 (meaning that it was medium to fast growing cancer).

I have already returned to work .......... we will see how it goes. It's good to return to some normalcy.

Outnfree is also going thru treatment. You have read of her cancer.

Dansk has cancer and we all have been with him during his journey.

I found my lump because I was doing my BSE (breast self exam) in the shower. I did NOT do it regularly on a certain date, just now an then. I did NOT get a mammogram on my birthday this year....I was busy with vacation and work. I should have had one last year. I could have caught this sooner but I think I did catch it soon enough.

How many of you dear ladies have had your mammogram? It didn't hurt!! Go, if you over 40 or nearing 40. Go as soon as your doctor will let you go... going before you have cancer gives you a "baseline" mammogram ... a picture of your healthy breast, that way if you have changes your doctor can note them in later years.

I know a dear friend who is over 45 and has NOT had her mammogram. I am going to help her make her first appointment and try to go with her if she can get it scheduled for a Monday which is my day off.

I do know that exercising will decrease your risk as will eating low fat foods and limit red meat. I said decrease not eliminate your chances.

I now buy organic products ... (you can even buy organic wine) in order to elimate the hormones and fertilizers that are used in the crop production and milk industry.

Breast cancer needs to be cured but until then we all have to do what we can to stay healthy and early detection is the key. Most women with breast cancer survive. It is life threatening, it is scary but it is treatable.

Thank you outnfree .... and thank you Dansk for talking so candidly about your fight and your journey.

Love,

Kelly

• Odrade
    Odrade

Thanks. (((SS)))

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

SimpleSally,

Thanks for keeping us posted on what you are going through. My hope and prayers are with you, Outnfree and Dansk on the journey that you are on.

Those of us who haven't faced these kind of obstacles yet don't really realize how good we have it. I/we can only wish you the best and hope it doesn't happen to us.

The word "yet" really means (for us who aren't going through any major issues) "You're Elegible Too"

HappyDad

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

(((((Kelly)))))

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

Kelly ---

Thanks so much for posting this. I missed my mammogram this year because I'm still having a lot of neck and arm pain from an accident. But it was on my mind that I should go see my ob-gyn and ask her if there is a way to get around this. After reading your post, I decided I really better do it.

You and Brenda and Ian are all in my prayers.

Marjorie

• roybatty
    roybatty

Just wanted to wish you well. I've had two bouts with bone cancer but have been without it for 19 years now. I always appreciated what you're doing right now, informing other people and show them that not only can one survive but also make a recovery.

mike

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

All the best to you in all of this K.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

(((( Kelly ))))

I get my mam every 2 years. My doc will tolerate that because I have no breast cancer genetics involved, I don't smoke, etc.. I do my BSE quite regularly, shower and/or laying down at bedtime. This year... time for my mam...

• talesin
    talesin

Thanks. Breast care is so important, and everything you said is such great advice. Thinking of you.

tal

• Es
    Es

I hope everything goes well with you.

What worries me is that there isnt anything for younger woman such as myself....and considering i have lost an aunt due to breast cancer, i do my regular breast check, wish there was something for us.

all the best

es

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit