JWs and Lawsuits

by Jeannine 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jeannine
    Jeannine

Another JW thing that boggles my mind.....

My mother-in-law, a super-JW, was crossing the street when she was hit by a car. She was fortunate enough to sustain very minor injury (bruises and maybe a minor sprain or two). I would describe the accident as very minor. She hardly needed any medical attention and did not lose one day from work as a result of the accident. Therefore, she is FINE. No real damage, except to her self-esteem after learning that she is unable to "look both ways before crossing the street" :). Anyway, she is now suing the driver of the car that hit her. She is suing for as much money as her attorney is able to get for her. She speaks of this lawsuit, not as a victim trying to compensate for real losses, but as a person who insists that she is owed money because SHE WALKS INTO CARS. Now, I have nothing against anyone suing anyone else. I would probably sue myself. However, I am not a "non-materialistic, god-fearing, neighbor-loving, Jehovah's Witness !! I am a normal, opportunistic person who would be pissed that the car didn't slam on their brakes to avoid hitting my perfect person :)). What would the JW organization's position be on my MIL suing for money that clearly isn't to compensate for actual losses? I believe that other JWs in her congregation are aware of this lawsuit and nobody says anything to her about it. Are JWs allowed to sue people? If so, I thought that JWs were "no part of the world". Someone englighten me please.

• Odrade
    Odrade

It seems many JWs have this attitude that they are "entitled" to something from the system. They don't care in the least about the world or worldly people so why not get what they can, while they can. There was the same mentality back in '75 and before where people would run up a bunch of debts thinking that Armaggedon would come and they wouldn't have to pay it back.
    Example in my family: My brother is an Elder (WT study conductor, other "responsibilities,") in a strong, rather strict congregation. When he got laid off as construction slowed down, he went on unemployment. He made NO EFFORT WHATSOEVER to find another job, and his right to sit on his ass and collect $1600 a month unemployment was protected by the union. He was on unemployment for a year, then he started "retraining." He also turned down several union jobs in the interim because they were "short-term" or "too far to drive." (Across town.) He was also protected by the Union in his right to do so and continue collecting unemployment.
    He never had any intention of using his "retraining," (I believe,) he was just using it in order to continue collecting the government check for another year.
    Then he heard of a real cherry job for premium wages in HAWAII! So he moved there and took the job. Some months he made over $10k. He stayed there JUST long enough to qualify again for unemployment, then got himself "laid-off," so he could move back home and sit on his ass again for another 6 months collecting.
    If you ask him about it, he says that's what he paid taxes for, and he was just getting a little back.
    AFAIK, not one person ever counseled him on misusing the system, being irresponsible or lazy, or any other criticism. In fact, I'm sure he was praised for "using his opportunities" to spend time in the ministry. He was never demoted from Elder or WTstudy conductor or anything else. Pretty shameful, IMO.
    If a person needs to collect long-term (due to disability, or a real lack of employment opportunities of any kind,) I have very little issue with that. But he was capable, young, strong and able to work. He just used the system to enable him to get something for nothing. It seems to be an acceptable thing to do among many JWs.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

They don't care where the money comes from--as long as they (the organization) are getting something out of it.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I don't think JW's are more prone to starting lawsuits any more than anyone else. People are people, and if it in their nature to sue, then they will regardless of what religion they are.

• thom
    thom

I never heard much said about lawsuits against NON-jw's. It's when you file suit against another jw that the elders have something to say.
    I once got a letter from another brother's lawyer (he thought I owed him money) and I had my lawyer answer it. Then I was accused (by the elders) of bringing lawyers into the situation.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    What would the JW organization's position be on my MIL suing for money that clearly isn't to compensate for actual losses?

That depends on how big of a donation she is going to give with her winnings.

• Jeannine
    Jeannine

Freedom96: I never thought that JWs were more prone to lawsuits than anyone else. But, I would have thought that JWs would be more reluctant to file lawsuits (especially one where the "relief" sought is money that is compensating for nothing). I am aware that JWs have used the legal system in the past for lawsuits based on freedom of religion, or access to public places, etc. However, those type of lawsuits seek injunctive relief, or a legal opinion that allows them to operate according to their wishes. On the other hand, suing for $10,000 because someone bruised your knee by mistake is an entirely different motive for a lawsuit. Obviously, personal injury cases are for monetary gain. Sometimes money can compensate for injury, loss of wages, etc. Yet, my mother-in-law didn't suffer those lossess and she is STILL SUING someone. If JWs are suppose to be non-materialistic and "no part of the world", why is it o.k for them to benefit financially from our legal system? They seem to be so two-faced.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I agree, many witnesses are totally two faced. They will justify their actions, whatever they are. Perhaps they would sue because they have little or no other way to make money, as so many are uneducated, and don't have much going for themselves financially. Or, could be they are just miserable people to begin with.

My ex wife seems to be in a constant state of filing lawsuits, but she is a miserable person to begin with, and feels everyone is out to get her and do her wrong, and therefore they should be punished financially.

• oldflame
    oldflame

When I was studing their religion I had an understanding that suing anyone was wrong

• sinis
    sinis

You may want to remind you MIL that the ONLY way she will see the big $$$ is if she "lies" about here injuries. Depending on the insurance company they may take her the distance and actually go to trial. Will she be willing to sit on the stand and say she worse off today than before the accident? May want to "lovingly" remind her that Jehovah sees all :wink:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit