Dogs and Communion

by Justin 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• Justin
    Justin

I have been attending an independent church lately where they allow people to bring their pets (dogs) and give them communion. For those who don't know the procedure, people file down to the front of the church and receive a piece of bread and a sip of wine - of course, they don't have two classes. Well, if you have your doggie with you, the pet can also receive (I assume only the bread - what a mess it would make for them to slurp from the chalice!).

Well, it wouldn't be such a big deal if the priest didn't make an issue of it - impressing on all that this is the church where it is done. I told him most Christians would be offended, as Christ died for humans and not animals, and that animals can't meet the prerequisite of even having faith. But he said when he sees a dog playing with children, this is true communion.

The congregation is so small I imagine someone started bringing their dog, feeling they couldn't leave it home. Then when they got it to church, they couldn't tie it up while they went forward, so doggie went with them. And then, not to leave the good boy (or girl) out, it began getting its tastey biscuit.

Any thoughts?

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

BWAHAHAHAHAH.. ahh man, this really is perfect.

GBL

• Robdar
    Robdar

I asked the priest I was studying with if he thought that animals were going to heaven. He said "absolutely". The reason is that animals never fell from grace never sinned and have no need for the ransom sacrifice. I tend to agree with him and am insulted that your minister would use such a publicity tool to get more members.

Oh, and another reason the priest said that animals are going to heaven? Because of the scripture where it mentions the beasts before the throne of God.

Imposing some silly ritual is only adding insult to the injury that man has already inflicted upon his animal brethren.

Robyn

• Satanus
    Satanus

Sounds cool to me. All are one I'm sure jesus wouldn't dissaprove. He was a dog lover.

S

• ballistic
    ballistic

Of course us humans are better than animals. Aren't we. It just makes a mockery of the whole thing.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Makes me think of Mel Gibson in one of the Lethal Weapon movies, where he says that he couldn't shoot a dog, a person no problem, but never a dog. I have heard it said that dogs are better people than people.

• lawrence
    lawrence

My dog celebrates everyone, everything, and loves to eat bread, slurp beer and wine (only on Saturdays), and would officiate after a few minutes sans a program. Man, my dog Sassy would love your church and pastor. This dog is... Sassy!

• Earnest
    Earnest

Matthew 7:6 "Do not give what is holy to dogs..."

• lawrence
    lawrence

Earnest-

"But the dogs are holier than the holy."

• Satanus
    Satanus

*** Rbi8 Acts 10:15 ***

"You stop calling defiled the things God has cleansed."

S