What's the big deal about a Circuit Overseer visit?

by jaffacake 25 Replies latest jw friends

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

According to the son of my newly baptised JW friends, they re-decorating their house for a visit and 'inspection' by the circuit overseer.

Can anyone explain what the Circuit Overseer's visit is all about? Does he or she normally visit the homes of people in the congregation? And if so, why?

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

Yes, it's quite a privilege to have the co and his wife for a meal. The inspection part must be something new.

• Preston
    Preston

The circuit overseer's visit, allows every single faithul witness of Jehovah to "role-play" that they attend every meeting, faithfully adjust their schedules to knock on doors several times a week, and display a greater degree of kiss-assity. It represent the "ideal" that the JW's are told to be. In other words, its how you act at work after the boss has come back from a 6 month vacation.

- Preston

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

he usually goes to peoples houses to ungratefully scoff food thats been provided for him. there's always a big 'song and dance' put on for the bishop, although there is no rank in the JWs just like there's no rules.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

The circuit overseer visit is an opportunity for brothers who are "reaching out" to kiss some big time ass. It's considered a "privilege" to feed these freeloading bastards.

W

• undercover
    undercover

Depending on the CO, it can be really bad or not that bad...It's kinda like the visiting preacher in the old days. There's nothing wrong with wanting to feed them and put them up for a few days while they are in town.

The downside to the circuit work is that many of them have become whores. They take money, goods and services under the table and then when the giver needs a favor or a good word the CO is comprimised because they are in debt due to the earlier favor. Sorta like the Godfather...he'll do you a favor and then he expects a favor in return later.

I've known some decent COs who were very fair and honest....but I've known some that were shady, untrustworthy and unprincipled. They had obviously let the good ole boy network prostitute them for a few favors and they would manipulate Kingdom Hall politics based on who was the most generous.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

If can help it, I'll never invite those glorified freeloaders to my home!

DY

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    If can help it, I'll never invite those glorified freeloaders to my home!

In case you do have them over at some point, please do not resist the urge to add some laxatives to their food.

W

• blondie
    blondie

The CO and wife usually eat lunch on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday with some individual JW or family. Since it is during working hours, many JWs would have to rearrange their work schedule.

Elders tend to schedule brothers they are hoping to appoint as elders/MS. COs also select the speakers for the assemblies, so even elders/MS may sign up to "impress" the CO with their spirituality.

As to redecorating, that is unusual but not totally strange.

I know of elders/MS/brothers who only auxiliary pioneer during the month of the CO's visit; again to get his ear and impress the CO with the capabilities.

Blondie

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

There is no formal "inspection" of homes that I know of.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit