Hey you slacker elders...get off yer duffs!

by sir82 14 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

As a Manager I can say with certainty that Abraham did not personally train 318 men. As he prospered he likely trained a core of servants of between ten or twenty. That's about all a person can do one-on-one. As his holdings grew and more servants were added, this core would have trained the new crew. Twenty well-trained supervisor/servants could have each had twenty more; 400 men.

Also, let's not forget Moses' arrangement. His supervisors each only had five or ten people under them.

Exodus 18:21 NIV But select capable men from all the people—men who fear God, trustworthy men who hate dishonest gain—and appoint them as officials over thousands, hundreds, fifties and tens.

Now, with the elders, they are expected to keep up on their family responsibilities, be a provider, keep up on all the Watchtower demands, AND be a shepherd. Impossible. In my opinion, they are muzzled labourers.

1. 1 Corinthians 9:9
      For it is written in the law of Moses, thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen?
      1 Corinthians 9:8-10 (in Context) 1 Corinthians 9 (Whole Chapter)
    2. 1 Timothy 5:18
      For the scripture saith, thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.
      1 Timothy 5:17-19 (in Context) 1 Timothy 5 (Whole Chapter)
  • Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

You say there is more? Let's hear it....

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

I have to agree with tijkmo - it doesn't have to be a farce.

The problem with the JW religion is that it is one of rules and regulations rather than one about helping fellow humans to find God. I don't think I was too bad at shepherding I my time but I would approach it in a different manner now. Most Jw elders are Pharisees rules enforcers not shepherds.

Eyeslice

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    The fact that you, like me, were sincere and did it....does NOT mean the "arrangement" as a whole isn't a farce...IT IS!

point taken.

i thought it as soon as i posted

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    The elder may have difficulty trying to get around to everyone to shepherd them regularly

Everyone? Unless the subject is in hospital , bedridden or has some other obvous visible need then the shepherding arrangement is pretty much dormant on this side of the pond as well

I do accept that it is not easy to balance the time , when you are on the treadmill of eldership. The things that are most clearly seen and on which you will be judged, ie field service report and meeting items and cong business often take precedence. What would the C/o say if the secretary failed to send off the monthly report because he was helping a family ? That is the fault of the system under which they work .

Thinking back, motivation has a lot to do with it. When I was keen and really believed in what I was doing, I did make regular calls. When my motivation lapsed so did the shepherding

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit