Are You a Blood Donor? (idea for campaign)

by Scully 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Scully what a fabulous idea.

After 20 years out I finally made the decision to donate. I called the blood services and over the phone they asked me a few questions to determine weather I could donate. Disappointingly I found out that I am not eligible because of the B12 injections I get each month.

I would suggest that if people decide to donate they call first and get the questions out of the way before heading off to find a clinic

• Scully
    Scully

I was just checking the website for Canadian Blood Services and found their In Honour Program:

In Honour Program
    Canadian Blood Services has made making a blood, plasma or
    platelet donation even more special. You can now give in memory or in
    honour of someone, as part of the In Honour Program . After making
    your donation, simply mention your intentions, and you will be given a
    special card to mail to the person you are honouring.

The In Honour Program is a great way to celebrate any milestone or to
    mark an occasion. Perhaps you know someone who recently received
    blood as a result of an accident or an operation, and you wish to donate
    to replenish the blood that person received. The Program is also a
    wonderful way to honour the memory of someone who has recently
    passed away.

For more information on the In Honour Program or to schedule an appointment to give blood, please call 1 888 2 DONATE (1 888 236-6283).

Blood. It’s in you to give.

altIn Honour Program Logoalt

Canadian Blood Services
  • Scully
    Scully

Lee,

I'm disappointed to hear that your good intentions fell by the wayside. Maybe there are other opportunities, such as volunteering for Canadian Blood Services, that you can make your intentions a reality!

For anyone who can't donate blood but wants to support the campaign, volunteer opportunities do exist. They are also a registered charitable organization, and financial donations are always appreciated if someone is able. You can make a financial gift "in honour" of someone too.

Love, Scully

• qwerty
    qwerty

Sorry this is not big enough. I wll re-link this to webshots.

• qwerty
    qwerty

I gave blood a few months back. I found the above in my local news paper. This is a situation me and my JW wife will be going through this winter and it's making me very upset, I don't want to lose her. Her problem is the same, although she is only in her early 30's. Her family are all "big" JW's - I feel helpless. Anyway sorry this is changing the topic a bit. Qwerty

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

WOW!!!

I just found out Im old enough to donate blood!!!

I'll do it ASAP!

• Scully
    Scully

A few things that might temporarily make you ineligible as a blood donor (in Canada):

• If you've had a tattoo or piercing within the last 6-12 months.
    • If you've had a baby or have been pregnant within the last 6 months.
    • If you have had dental work within the last 3 days.
    • If you have had the flu or another minor illness within the last 7 days.
    • If you have had a recent vaccination (like the flu shot).

For a complete list of temporary deferral criteria, please check with your local blood donor center, or check the website.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit