Disfellowshipping or Disassociation what is the "difference"?

by booker-t 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• booker-t
    booker-t

I know this may sound like a dumb question but fellow ex-jws out there what is the difference between being Disfellowshipped or being Disassociated? Why do the Watchtower have two classes of ex-jws? I have really never understood the difference. I personally DA'd myself but I am treated like poison by my family and fomer JW friends. My teenage niece was Disfellowshipped recently but my brother still allows her to live in his home. I know of JWs that have told their DF'd children to leave their homes when their kids were "kicked out" So I am just trying to figure out why would the WT have two classes of ex-jws?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Disfellowship = Kicked out of the organization
    Disassociated = You resigned from the organization

Result for both is the same: Sever shunning by all JWs including immediate family.

Bottom line: There is no honorable way to leave the organization. It’s like being married to the mob, if you try to leave they will take their pound of flesh.

Article from the Kingdom Ministry, August 2002

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

Its truly amazing!! After reading every scripture in that KM article , not one of their statements were backed by these scriptures. Reading the context of the scriptures pointed to something completely different. Big difference between the "teachings of Christ" and "Watchtower doctrine".

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Its truly amazing!! After reading every scripture in that KM article , not one of their statements were backed by these scriptures. Reading the context of the scriptures pointed to something completely different. Big difference between the "teachings of Christ" and ;"Watchtower doctrine"

You are correct. The context of 1 Cor 5 shows that Paul refers to those who are current, active, sinners. In most DF'ings that I know of in over 40 years that simply was not true. Nearly all had discontinued the 'sin' before the DF'ing happened.

As far as treating them like 'a man of the nations' - Jesus gave a wonderful parable of the 'Good Samaritan' that showed how He viewed those of the nations. He was criticised for eating with those the Jews hated. Evidently Jesus views were not close to that of the self righteous Jews, or the self righteious witnesses.

It amazes me how they can twist these scriptures to fit the moment. Disgusting to me. How did I accept this shit for so long?

Jeff

• daystar
    daystar
    How did I accept this shit for so long?

I know. It always amazes me as well.

I was always of the mind that a person could only be DF'd if they'd been baptised, and then only for more serious "crimes". DAing was for the unbaptised and for less serious "crimes" of the baptised.

It's all so convoluted anyway. I was, effectively, DF'd, except that because I had never commited to baptism, I wasn't quite shunned. My family could still in all ways interact with me. Other JWs were polite, in that wide-grinned "I'm being polite to you, but really hold you in suspicion of commerce with demons" way that they can. A very few seemed genuinely still warm. But they were usually ones who had DF'd or DA's family themselves. Rather telling...

I believe there is supposed to be an "official" difference, however, in reality in all depends upon the congregation and the elders. A DA'd person in one cong. will get one sort of treatment, and in others, a very different sort.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

Actually , now, there is no difference as that distinction is not made when the announcement is made from stage.

I was sitting in a car with a bunch of dubs when this subject came up and they were talking about howit was announced and how bad it sounded.

"this is to announce that is no longer one of Jehovah's witnesses?"

You would've thought that that person's life had come to an end or something. It's just their way of putting their wagons in a tighter circle.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

When I disassociated myself I was, in effect, disfellowshipping Jehovah's Witnesses. They are unworthy of associating with me, and I shun all of them except my mom, who is still misled.

I can't help but marvel at their stupidity. I left because I objected to their protection of child molesters yet they view me as though I'm the one who's doing something wrong. Only in the Watchtower world could such insanity exist.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit