Kanye West Speaks the Truth

by bisous 14 Replies latest social current

• bisous
  • Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

Kanye sounded like a moron--the only part of his speech that didn't make him look like a reactionary idiot was the part where he admitted that he hadn't been doing what HE could for the crisis at hand.

• bisous
    bisous

Like I said, what is on many of our minds ... not all. That's what is great about my country (and yours) ... we can speak our minds and individual opinions.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    Like I said, what is on many of our minds ... not all. That's what is great about my country (and yours) ... we can speak our minds and individual opinions.

Actually, I actually was in agreement with the spirit of the point I think he was trying to make. But his 'I went shopping before I gave money' line was the only thing he said that didn't smack of rash, poorly thought out hype.

"Bush hates black people" and "They sent in the national guard so they can shoot us" can hardly be categorized as the 'truth'.

Edited to add: And I'm not even a Bush fan.

• bisous
    bisous

Rings of truth to me, my dear. Does this represent a caring leader? Compare mr. bush to Mayor Giuliani during our last national crisis... hmmmm... Your definition of caring and mine are obviously far apart.

As Katrina Struck, Bush Vacationed

In 2001, the Federal Emergency Management Agency ranked a major hurricane strike on New Orleans as “among the three likeliest, most catastrophic disasters facing this country,” directly behind a terrorist strike on New York City.

Yesterday, disaster struck. And even as one of the strongest storms in recorded history rocked the Gulf Coast, President Bush decided to continue his vacation, visiting the Pueblo El Mirage RV and Golf Resort in El Mirage, Ariz., to hawk his Medicare drug benefit plan. (Bush will spend one more night in Crawford tonight before flying back to Washington.)

Oh and here is another class act by another of our revered leaders:

As South drowns, Rice soaks in N.Y.

Did New Yorkers chase Condoleezza Rice back to Washington yesterday?

Like President Bush, the Secretary of State has been on vacation during the Hurricane Katrina crisis, with Rice enjoying her downtime in New York Wednesday and yesterday. The cabinet member's responsibilities are usually international, but her timing contributed to the "fiddling while Rome burns" impression given by her boss during the disaster, which may have claimed thousands of lives.

On Wednesday night, Secretary Rice was booed by some audience members at "Spamalot!," the Monty Python musical at the Shubert, when the lights went up after the performance.

Yesterday, Rice went shopping at Ferragamo on Fifth Ave. According to the Web site www.Gawker.com, the 50-year-old bought "several thousand dollars' worth of shoes" at the pricey leather-goods boutique.

A fellow shopper shouted, "How dare you shop for shoes while thousands are dying and homeless!" - presumably referring to Louisiana and Mississippi.

The woman expressing her First Amendment rights was promptly removed from the store. A Ferragamo store manager confirmed to us that Rice did shop there yesterday, but refused to answer questions about whether the protester was removed, and whether by his own security or the Secret Service.

At the State Department's daily briefing yesterday morning, before the New York incident, spokesman Sean McCormack responded to a journalist who asked whether Rice was involved with hurricane relief efforts by saying, "She's in contact with the department as appropriate." He made no mention that his boss had any plans to leave New York.

But yesterday afternoon, Rice had done just that. Department spokeswoman Joanne Moore told us: "The secretary is back in Washington, and she is being briefed on the situation." Moore did not know whether Condi had planned a longer stay here.

• bisous
    bisous

more about Kanye

Friday, September 02, 2005

"George Bush doesn't care about black people..."

Kanye West took to the air tonight and in bold defiance of his pre-scripted safe NBC speech about Hurricane Katrina voiced an opinion that many in New Orleans and the surrounding areas echo: "George Bush doesn't care about black people..." Whether that statement is completely accurate or not--there is a shared sense amongst African Americans tonight that George W. Bush did not seem to have much compassion for or rush to help the poor, black folks stranded in the rising waters of New Orleans.

The point that Kanye West brought up this evening, including the difference between "looting" vs. "finding" (hint: the AP feels it has something to do with skin color), the fact that GW Bush has instructed the National Guard to shoot to kill fellow Americans, mostly African Americans that have been left behind in New Orleans, speaks to a larger issue--a wedge issue--why is the media and the administration playing white against black in the face of tragedy?

We should all be rallying behind the victims of Hurricane Katrina, not fighting amongst ourselves. The Evening News Reports display, predominantly, shots of black people when they speak of violence, rapes, and looting as if it was only an African American issue. As if to say that only black people were taking part in illegal activities. Racism is an ugly, cowardly path to travel that tears at the very fabric of America. Now, as the Gulf Coast sits in tatters, we need to act as one America--not be split by hatred and ignorance.

It took a lot of guts for a popular artists like Kanye West (now undoubtedly grist for the GOP slime machine) to stand there on national TV and voice his opinion against the War on Iraq, against racism, and against George W. Bush, who once again completely failed in the face of disaster. So is it true that "George Bush doesn't care about black people"? Look at the facts so far and you decide...
  • Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

Like I said, what is on many of our minds ... not all. That's what is great about my country (and yours) ... we can speak our minds and individual opinions

And you are right too bisous..

I'm glad you posted this!

M'

• bisous
    bisous

thanks M' ~ I agree, we need to get it all out there, whether it makes folks squirm or not.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    Rings of truth to me, my dear. Does this represent a caring leader? Compare mr. bush to Mayor Giuliani during our last national crisis... hmmmm... Your definition of caring and mine are obviously far apart.

Did I say I thought he was 'caring'? Did I say I even supported him? I simply refused to declare one man's opinion as 'truth'.

I absolutely respect your right to assert your own views. But I would also assert my own right not to have mine misconstrued: If you're going to attack my views, at least be sure of what they are, "dear".

• Mulan
    Mulan

I was watching it and after he said "George Bush doesn't like black people", they cut away to Eddie Murphy. I figured he got censored and was waiting for one of the news programs to pick it up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit