Thank you all, it's been a great year!

by AlmostAtheist 16 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

It dawned on me today that it's been a long time since I left JW's. How long? I wasn't sure. So I went back and checked when I first posted here. September 1st, 2004. (The start of the new "Service Year", how appropriate!)

What's happened in that year?

In a year I've watched the organization I loved turn on me with voracity. Within weeks of my Christmas decorations going up, elders were at my door arranging to "meet" with me, to "discuss the situation". A month or so after that (many delays on their part -- Jehovah's people are a busy people, ya know!) I was officially disfellowshipped. I had felt a great sense of freedom and release long before that, so their action had no effect on my feelings at all. There was great satisfaction, though, in replying to their "reminder" to attend my judicial committee hearing: "No, I won't be here. You can still meet if you want to, but don't bother on my account." The how-dare-you look on their faces was a souvenir I'll treasure forever.

In a year I've gone from having my JW in-law's great love and respect to being an angry, demonic, hate-filled apostate, bent on forcing their God to kill their grandchildren at Armageddon. Long praised for my insight and generosity, now I'm scorned as a selfish liar.

In a year, I've realized that not EVERY non-JW is a maniac, ready to pounce on me if ever they get the chance. Turns out that not "some", not "many", but the vast majority of people are good hearted, friendly folks living their lives without concern for my religious preferences.

So what hasn't happened in a year?

I still haven't gotten my head around the fact that the future DOES matter. I know that the world isn't going to end in my life time, yet I still feel myself thinking in the short term, as if there is no future to worry about. I'm still working on getting that out of my head, but it seems to be stuck pretty deep.

I still haven't gotten all the bitterness out of my heart toward the Watchtower's robbing those 20 years from me. And such important, formative years. I am stealing them back by working hard to make sure Zach and Sierra aren't similarly tricked into donating their life to a man and his fantasies.

I still haven't directed myself. I still spin my wheels. I look back over the days and weeks and months and find that I not only haven't gotten anywhere, but I haven't even picked a direction, much less a destination. More "there is no future, just wait it out" thinking. I live, but I don't feel like I'm actually "living".

What does the next year hold?

I'll have a book published.

I'll launch a new parody web site, hopefully driving more traffic to my current one and similar ones operated by my colleagues.

I'll make some progress on that robot that exists only as a pile of parts in my garage and a rough "plan" drawn up by Zach (a plan that looks suspiciously like "Bender".)

As I always claimed I'd do as a JW, I'll make a conscious effort toward "making my time count, not just counting time." But THIS TIME, it will be on things that actually do mean something!

For all you've done, for all your assistance and kindness and knowledge and wisdom, for all of your "you"-ness, I thank you. All of you.

Dave

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Hey Dave!

I started posting just a year ago as well. It's amazing how much things can change in a year. Isn't it great that you have 2 extra nights a week to spend on stuff with your kids! Hope you're having fun and it's great seeing you on here!

Sean

Hey, BTW, what's the deal with this book and website. PM me if you don't want to post it.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    More "there is no future, just wait it out" thinking. I live, but I don't feel like I'm actually "living".

This one sure takes time to let go. I started lurking about a year ago. Your posts then really caught my attention, as someone torn between going ahead to get baptized, or letting her doubts lead her to actually think with an open mind for a change.

• FMZ
    FMZ

What else happened in that year? You crashed your helicopter in the kitchen. Even get that thing back off the ground Dave?

Been good having you here dude.

FMZ

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    What else happened in that year? You crashed your helicopter in the kitchen. Even get that thing back off the ground Dave?

LOL! I forgot about that!

I cracked my R/C chopper up pretty badly while still learning to fly it, and boxed it back up in despair. Recently I got it back out, super-glued it back together and took it on another flight -- resulting in another crackup and some more super glue. (Also turns out the little balancer/paddle thingies have to be turned THIS way, not THAT way, or it doesn't fly.) Maybe I'll take a whack at it again tonight. Getting closer, ever closer, to controlled flight!

Kwin -- I have had a satire/parody news site for a couple of years now. Started it while still a JW, so it's all "clean, family-friendly" stuff. What little following I have appreciates that, so I keep it that way now. Besides, you gotta have an edge to stand out against the 3,000 other Onion-wannabe's. The Bentinel is clean, that's its "edge". You're welcome to stop by and fail to laugh at it: http://TheBentinel.com

The web site spawned a book project, which will hopefully be published next month. You can see it here:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=lp23nd5CGT&isbn=1563437899&itm=1

(Cheaper at Amazon, cheaper still at Wal-Mart!)

Dave

• vitty
    vitty

I started posting in June, im not completley free,yet. But one day I will be.

I realized for the fist time a couple of days ago that I had a future (and im in my forties) for so long my life was based on short term goals. It made me happy, it made me appreciate the beautiful day and the life I have, living now.

• Valis
    Valis

w00t! Happy Good Year!!

• kazar
    kazar

You are quite welcome, Dave. And you have a good sense of humor to keep you going. I started lurking here about a year ago myself and came on board in April of this year. I always feel better communicating with real people who understand what it feels like to be away from the Witnesses.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I think you've gone off the deep end.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

AA, don't forget FF followed you "out"! That was a biggie.

I'm so glad you're here. You have been a marvelous inspiration and I'm grateful to know you.

Hugs

Bren

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit