What am I so scared of?

by katiekitten 69 Replies latest jw friends

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Ive thought about posting this for a good few weeks, and finally decided to now the initial upset and outrage have calmed down in me. Hopefully I will be more objective in my post, and more robust to take some constructive critisism.

I have been divorced 7 years, since my daughter was 1. 50% of the blame was mine, definately.

Her dad moved across country and saw her every third weekend for several years. Two years ago he moved back into the area but specifically told me he still only wanted to see her every third weekend. Find by me. At the beginning of this year he got engaged, and asked to see her every other weekend (this is a long weekend as he has her from Friday after school, and drops her off at school on Monday). Fine. Then he asked to see her every Wednesday night. Fine also.

In May he got married, and In July he bought a house. One weekend he asked daughter if she wanted to stop with him an extra day every week. She said No thankyou. He said 'well its not your decision, its mine, and im going to have you an extra day a week'.

Daughter came home hysterical. When she goes to his house she invariably cries the night before. He is very strict with her, and unfortunately over the last 6 years she has got used to my more liberal parenting style. (Im not saying one style is right, and one wrong, just that they are VERY different, and Im the one she has been living with for her formative years). Ever since he started having her every other weekend I have had tears before she goes to him. One day when he came to pick her up she ran and hid under the coffee table (most embarrassing).

So when this 'extra day' issue came up I told daughter not to worry, daddy was already seeing her lots and if she didnt want to go she didnt have to.

I am now locked in battle with daddy, who is putting lots of pressure on me. But the bottom line is I have been to see a solicitor and she says he is already getting what a court would grant (he gets her half of all the school holidays too), and the only way he can try and compel me to give him more time is by taking me to court - and they are highly unlikely to grant him any extra time. I did suggest a good compromise which would have given him an extra evening with her but not an extra night. I put it in writing, but he refused it and told me he wanted a whole extra night a week.

Now the real issue for me is this - if daughter wanted to go I would let her, without a doubt. Im only saying no because it makes her so upset, and this makes me upset too.

But every time I stand up to him over it (and this is the first issue I have ever refused him) I get all shaky and scared. Im physically shaking now, just writing it. I dont know what I am scared of. I stand up to my current partner no problem, I will argue with my employers, with officials, with any other family member and not feel scared. But with him just saying 'no', even by text fills me with non specific fear. Hes never hit me or shouted at me (much the opposite, I often get upset with him and end up shouting then crying, and he stays clinically cold and emotionless - in fact he prides himself on not getting emotional). He has never threatened me with court or with anything else. But im a wreck. I hate saying no. The only reason I can do it is because I know how much it will upset daughter. She is such a good girl, so loyal and obedient. And hes on her case all the time about things I consider side issues (like sucking her thumb and biting her nails). He makes huge issues out of them and issues regular punishments over them. He tells her off about how she pronounces words (unfortunately I have a medium strong regional accent that she sometimes picks up). He swaps her knife and fork round in her hands, shes not allowed to play with makeup or jewellry.

But to me those are all small things. Shes never disobedient, never chats back, or has a tantrum, has excellent manners, is generous to a fault, and never sulks if you dont buy her something she has seen in a shop. Shes really patient - we waited 9 hours in Madrid airport for a plane and she never ONCE complained. To me those are the main things.

Sorry Ive gone on a bit.

So why am I so scared of him? Whats the worst that can happen?

• avishai
    avishai

Ohhh, Ummm, I think I'm gonna pm this.

• willy_think
    willy_think

Don't let him see her at all. He is not good for her in any way.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

What a control freak, he is!!!

Child custody issues are always difficult, but it sounds like you've played fair by him. You're right to stand your ground, especially for the sake of your daughter. You also did the right thing by getting legal advice. The "Citizen's Advice Bureau" is another good source.

That kind of confrontation can often have physiological effects, so don't be surprised at your body's adrenal reaction. It's "flight or flight" left over from the days before we could TXT or email rebuttals.

(((hugs)))

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

hi katie..i have absolutely no experience about this whatsoever....but i do know what you mean about certain situations where you cant treat someone in the same manner as you do others

and it sounds to me as if he knows that is how you react to him...and is therefore taking advantage of it

if your visitation arrangements have all been by mutual agreement thus far..which is by far the best way to do it imo...then maybe the time has come to say that all visitation will stop...and that he will have to pursue his rights through the court entirely

does he feel btw that since he is contributing then he has certain rights...has he upped the amount he pays in maintenence recently

i have to admit that i dont understand a parent forcing an issue like this when they can physically see the effect it is having on a child...but then i am looking at it purely factually and have no awareness of the emotions involved...

hope you get it sorted but i think that to do so you have to be able to say 'no' to the 1 person you find it difficult to say it to

• vitty
    vitty

I would try and get to the bottom of WHY she doesnt want to go, apart from him being strict, is he nice to her generally.

Why does he want her overnight more? Have you asked him why hes so insistant when its obvious his daughter doesnt want to.

Ita a horrid suituation, goodluck with it and keep us posted!

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Piss him off outta your lives. Let him take you to court and screw him good. Arsehole!

Mate, if I met him, I'd show him some emotion. Poor little kid having to put up with his power mad games.

The mans a freak

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

I can't top what they said...((((((((((KatieK & Daughter))))))))))...our babies come first!!!

~Merry

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

I used to get a very similar reaction around people. It most often occured when I feared the other person was capable of witholding something from me that I needed or deeply wanted. This was not limited to physical things; when someone was emotionally distant or unavailable, I had problems because I knew they would not attempt to understand my perspective and would likely ignore/invalidate my feelings and my right to those feelings. I looked to certain individuals to confirm the legitimacy of my emotions instead of simply accepting myself and my feelings as they are. In other words, I was giving away my power to these particular people. It took years to realize what I was doing. I also had an underlying fear that people in general weren't safe and would hurt me without warning.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

(((((Katie))))))

Although I am sure it was a real picnic being married to a man who prides himself on not being emotional, who was to blame for the break up has absolutely no bearing on access and residency of your daughter. This is entirely about what is best for her. Are you letting guilt over something way in the past affect your interactions with your ex?

I am sure you are well aware about the growing campaigns in this country for men to get greater access to children when they split with the mother. There is a backlash against what is perceived to be the "automatic" residency of children with the mother rather than the father. Maybe this is fuelling his determination to have more time with your daughter.

It sounds like it all coincided with his marriage and new home. He probably feels he can now "compete" with you in terms of being able to provide a stable family life.

As you know that you are in a very strong position legally (and I am sure that the court will also take into consideration your daughter's feelings) I would do no more. Let him make the next move. You have made a reasonable offer; he has refused it. If he chooses to take things further, he may find he has less access! If he has any sense, he will take legal advice and then back down.

I don't know what it is about exes. I am sure I would have a complete panic attack if I ever had to deal with mine - so I am glad that I have never had to! Anyway Katie, if you can face a class of 15 year olds, you can face anyone! You must be hard as nails!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit