The bible and astronomy

by thinker 13 Replies latest jw friends

• thinker
    thinker

Has anyone else done any research on the bible as an astronomy book? If so what do you think of that theory? Does it make sense to you? And what correlations have you found?

Thinker

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Has anyone else done any research on the bible as an astronomy book? If so what do you think of that theory? Does it make sense to you? And what correlations have you found?

The Bible tells us stars were made to provide light at night. Apart from that, I can't think of where it mentions astronomy at all.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Are you thinking about astrology?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

LOL! I did a research paper in a high school science class for extra credit, trying to prove the Bible as scientifically and astronomically accurate. Oh, how embarrassing.... I soooo cringe at what arguments I used....I'm thankful I got a brain by the time I finished high school.

• thinker
    thinker

Hi All,

I can see we have alot to discuss on this.

"The Bible tells us stars were made to provide light at night. Apart from that, I can't think of where it mentions astronomy at all.

Are you thinking about astrology?"

I think we forget how important reading the sky was to the ancients. With our clocks and calendars we don't pay much attention anymore, but back then the sky WAS clock, calendar, and compass all rolled into one. The knowledge of how to read the sky was considered sacred and mysterious. There was no distinction between astronomy and astrology in ancients times.

The most obvious correlation would be the 12 tribes and the 12 signs of the zodiac. There is also Ezekiel's angel with the face of a man, an eagle, a bull, and a lion. Each of these 'faces' is a constellation that corresponds to one of the cardinal points in the sky at night: North, South, East, and West.

Here's an interesting correlation found in Genesis:

He (man) will bruise you in the head and you (serpent) will bruise him in the heel." Gen 3:15

I always thought that was a strange phrase. But when you look at the man as the constellation Hercules and the serpent as the constellation Draco, it makes perfect sense. In those constellations Hercule's heel is right over Draco's head. Then as the stars rotate in the sky Draco's head is right over Hercule's heel.

Here's a star map which shows this relationship very well: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/file/BEEEF542-566E-4C5F-85F4-34DA62526719.ashx

You might enjoy a freeware astronomy program called Star Calc:

www.relex.ru/~zalex/main.htm

There are many more correlations we can find between the stars and what's in the bible. I'lll add more when time permits

thinker

• thinker
    thinker

Here's a quick rundown of some of the sky myths in the bible:

Serpens

The constellation serpens is a HUGE snake-shaped constellation. It's so big only half of it is visible in the northern hemisphere. The tail end is visible in the sothern hemisphere. Hence, the serpent god cut in two aka. Leviathan.

Jonah's whale

There is a whale-shaped constellation that has a red star right at it's mouth. This red star is Jonah being swallowed.

Why was Jonah in the whale three days? And Jesus in the ground three days? Follow the monthly cycle of the moon. It disappears from the sky for three days. It was thought to travel to the netherworld under the earth (Hades) and contend with the forces of darkness. This god (the moon) then rose again on the third day. To celebrate the rising of the god the Israelites blew on a ram's horn at the new moon. Why a ram's horn? Because it is shaped like the cresent moon. This also explains the horns their god wanted on her altar, incense burners, etc... (see Exodus). I said HER altar because the moon is traditionally a feminine god. Why is that? Because a womans monthly cycle follows the moon's 28 day cycle. This is also why blood is concidered life (see Genesis). When a woman retained her blood a new life was being formed. Hence, the blood was life being created in the womb.

To understand the bible all you have to do is know a little about the heavenly objects and think like a superstitious pagan. It all falls into place.

thinker

• Beta Male
    Beta Male

Good Post thinker. Gimme More!

• thinker
    thinker

In the year 2750 BCE the star Thuban was almost exactly in the North Pole position; it is located in the constellation Draco (Dragon or Serpent). From the years 2750 on, Thuban descended from its pole position to be replaced by Polaris.

Let's assume that the early sky watchers thought that Dracon would contine it's descent:

Rev 12:9 " So down the great dragon was hurled, ... he was hurled down to the earth, .." thinker

• Pole
    Pole

There's also a verse about the orion constellation in the book of Job if my memory serves me right.
    Pole

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Taking the context of acient astrology: genesis 1: 14 And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years.

Jesus also said that there would be signs in the stars.

steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit