Introduction of new doctrines. 1945, 1975.

by MidwichCuckoo 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Reading a thread about smoking the other day made me think......

Previously on this site (which I have spent much of today unsuccessfully trying to find) I recall reading that as numbers of Publishers declined at the end of WWII, the 'No Blood' doctrine was introduced in 1945 as a direct result in order to boost numbers again.

After the 1975 fiasco, I believe the Society lost a lot of followers - and it was very shortly after this (during the same or following year), that the WTBTS introduced the smoking ban. Again to boost flagging numbers?

When the WTBTS experience a 'failure', do they resort to introducing another doctrine, or is this just a coincidence?

• Legolas
    Legolas

But how would that get people to go? Wouldn't that get people to leave? Like the no smoking, I'm sure there must have been people that left because of it. But you could be right!

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

wasn't the smoking ban before '75?

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    wasn't the smoking ban before '75?

The disfellowshippings I am aware of at the time occurred late in 1976.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Mid,

It was in 72 that the axe fell on tobacco. I never smoked but my folks did. It made sense to me to drop the filthy, deadly habit so I had no problem with it. I can't find the WT article but I did find the KM reference to the WT article. Enjoy.

Someone else will have to find it for you, I'm too sleepy, sorry.

In case it makes you feel better, the CO is here this week and I couldn't give a flying fig about going to any of his guilt inducing rants.

W.Once

km 11/73 p. 7 Tobacco Users

Tobacco

Users

It will soon be about six months since The Watchtower in English pointed out the need for decisive action in stopping use of tobacco by dedicated persons. If there are still any who use tobacco, it would be good for them to make stronger efforts to stop now. Speak to the elders for assistance. The elders, applying the counsel of the Scriptures, must determine who may remain in the congregation.
  • crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Does anyone know the thread for the new doctrines on 1945 and 1975? I don't have a clue how to find previous threads! I need a computer book for blonde dummies!

shelley

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit