damselfly is not happy :(

by damselfly 15 Replies latest social entertainment

• damselfly
    damselfly

The amp on my record player just blew out in the middle of The Cult's "Sweet Soul Sister" from the Sonic Temple lp.

Now I can't listen to any records until I get a new one!

Any leads on a cheap, gentley used one?

Dams

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Do you need just an external amp or is the whole turn table needing to be replaced?

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Oh that's not good! Music enhances our moods and our life. I hope you find another amp soon!

Cheer up luv - your a jedi now!!!

• ballistic
    ballistic

You may find it's just a fuse, maybe in the unit itself. I would definately start there.

• kid-A
    kid-A

e-bay is the way to go!!!

• ballistic
    ballistic

all 3 time zones on the board at the same time! I'd better get off to bed!

• damselfly
    damselfly

The external amp. which means I can't listen to cds either!

Dams

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm not much into music or stereos, so I'm guessing when I point this out:

http://electronics.listings.ebay.com/Home-Audio_Amplifiers_W0QQfromZR4QQsacatZ14970QQsocmdZListingItemList

• damselfly
    damselfly

When the amp was opened up 2 of the 3 fuses were blown. I'll replace those and see if it works.

I'm gonna have to listen to muchmusic. Let's hear it for the boybands!

Dams

• ballistic
    ballistic

Make sure you get exact replacements for the fuses. There are some quirky ones in hifi. The old method of wrapping foil round them to see if it works does not apply in delicate hifi electronics!!! Also ask why they blew, was the ventilation of the amp covered up with the volume high for a long period? Check for other obvious things which could cause a short circuit, although unlikely. Possibly other blown components which are visible with the naked eye.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit