Did anyone know Charles "stay alive til '75" Sunutko?

by IronGland 17 Replies latest jw friends

• IronGland
    IronGland

What was he like? Would he be amused to hear that talk he gave now?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

For people who haven't read or heard it Freeminds hosts it

http://www.freeminds.org/history/sunutko.htm

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

Obviously he doesn't know what he's talking about, but he has the gift of oratory.

• IronGland
    IronGland

He also shared Rutherfords gift of making an ass of himself.

• willyloman
    willyloman

He's alive (last I heard) and well in Desert Hot Springs, Calif., near Palm Springs, where he was an elder when I saw him last (two years ago). He was in his '70s and was remarkably well preserved with a full head of snow white hair which he wore fairly long and combed back just over the tops of his ears. He was fit and ia snappy dresser. His health was deteriorating a bit, but he still had his wits about him.

He appeared to me to be wary of the adulation he receives wherever he goes and said he doesn't go out to give talks in other congos very often. I resisted the urge to say something about his internet fame or to refer to him as "old stay alive til 75." I think I saw something like fear in his eyes. He must, in his heart of hearts, be very confused and disappointed.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    I saw something like fear in his eyes. He must, in his heart of hearts, be very confused and disappointed

That's so sad. I have seen the same look in thousands of JW's over the years. It's as if their eyes are crying out for help.

• IronGland
    IronGland

Wilyloman,

I take it you knew him back when you were in? Was he hard-line? Nice? Loose cannon?

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Was he hard-line? Nice? Loose cannon?

Yes.

• Toronto_Guy
    Toronto_Guy

I don't have the date but I came across a recent Watchtower or Awake a few months ago, and his life experience was it...no mention of "stay alive till '75"...;)

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    no mention of "stay alive till '75"...;)

Not surprising given the embarrasement and backpeddaling it caused. So many of the older Elders are still backpeddaling when it's brought to their attention.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit