Truth hurts

by Decidedly_Unsure 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunchild
    Sunchild

Joelbear,

I agree that all of us should contemplate more positive issues and discuss those here more. I agree that we should try to upbuild each other with positive experiences, thoughts and directions our lives have taken.

I agree with your agreement. To take a concept from The Matrix (everyone's favorite movie ), not everyone is ready to be unplugged. For some, finding out the truth about "The Truth" can be devastating, and the loss of that security can be even more damaging to them psychologically than their lack of freedom while they were in the Borg. If nothing better is offered to fill the void... bad things can happen. Very bad things.

*Rochelle.

---------
    http://www.dreamsphere.net/ -- See it, live it, wear it.
    "Most men complacently accept 'knowledge' as 'truth'. They are sheep, ruled by fear."
    -- Sydney Losstarot, "Vagrant Story."

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Hey Decided:

Your question concerning alternatives to life in the WTBS is valid and a common symptom of a similar type of separation anxiety experienced by many humans involved in manipulative and abusive relationships.

To answer your question briefly, while there are hundreds of "replacements" to the WTBS that you could associate yourself with, it is not the same as an "alternative". Think about these questions:

How do you regain the satisfaction of what you felt was a "clean conscience" with God?

How do you enjoy companionship, fellowship and agape with trusted associates?

How can you quell the urges of guilt, and cease finding "pre-fabricated faults" within yourself?

How can you possibly live with any measure of "normalcy" again?

The answer is inside of YOU! No human or organization will ever be able to create the tranquility and comfort you desparately need! It is not possible to externally generate internal love of self for another human. You must pass through the experiences that will develop that love on your own.

Once you realize that spirituality is a deeply personal experience, whether natual, emotional or religious, it is your own private place which you must visit often, to find solstace.

You will learn that placing humans, organizations, and other fleshly obstacles between yourself, your spirituality and Almight God Jehovah and Jesus will continue to do you long-term harm.

You must think, and grow on your own, from the inside. This is your journey. I believe you have already taken the first few steps.

I wish you love, peace, happiness and satisfaction of spirit and life. Agape!

• Francois
    Francois

DU

Do you have access to "Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose"? In it you will find reports of Rutherford and other JW leader's attempts to get religious leaders of their to debate the bible, theology, hell, etc. Very few would debate, and much was made of this fact by the WTB&TS. The fact that the religious leaders wouldn't debate was prima facie evidence, according to the WT, that they didn't have God on their side. They'd be more confident to debate if they did, we were told in this book.

The WTB&TS has been challenged twice on this site to a public debate. Any reasonable time. Any reasonable place. The debate topic was to have been "The organization of Jehovah's Witnesses is a religious cult." The challenger was me. Little ol' me. No special training. No special talent. Just the confidence that comes with following the leading of the spirit, and that's all.

No takers.

The cowardly bastards are afraid to come out and debate little ol' me.

Makes you wonder why they did so much crowing in the above-referenced book about how the willingness to engage in public debate was a perfect measure of the truthfulness of one's religion. And of course this isn't their only hypocrisy.

Think about it.

Francois

Where it is a duty to worship the Sun you can be sure that a study of the laws of heat is a crime.

• Flip
    Flip
    I agree that all of us should contemplate more positive issues and discuss those here more.

Unfortunately joel, we'd have to disregard the WTB&TS as a subject and change "Jehovahs-Witness.com" as the name for the url...maybe...to something like..."Ignorethefactsaslongaseveryoneishappy.Com"

Revealing the under-belly of the WTB&TS Corporation is a disheartening task at best.

The discussion of which is partly made palpable because of the levity generated by many creative current and former Jehovah's Witnesses who haven't, as yet, forsaken their sense of humor.

Flip

• Vienna
    Vienna

Personally, I see a trend of those who think that this board is "negative" coming from those who are JWs. Imagine if we came across a discussion board that only talked about members of our immediate family, discussing their personalities--be it good or bad, looking into their past, etc., I would take it as an attack on my family, how DARE anyone take a close look at my family. But in reality, it's not an attack. It's board that's looking into all areas of that family's life, from everything they say to what they do. Just the facts.

That's what this board is. Just the facts on the WT, all areas, uncensored. We just expose the bare WT underbelly that unfortunately is hiding lots of stuff.

I use this illustration all the time:

When I was a JW and if I were put in a room with no windows and someone asked me what the weather is, I would say I don't know. If someone told me "The Society says it's raining, but if you want you can go outside of this room and find out." I would of said "No way! It's raining! I don't need to leave this room to find out because the Society said it's raining. No need to do what they've already done." But in reality, it would actually been snowing. Would I of ever found out?? I look back and want to cry at how much thinking I let them do for me, at the cost my very salvation.

If you have the right Jesus, you're right for eternity. If you have the wrong Jesus, you're wrong for eternity.

Don't let someone "tell" you which Jesus that is. Find out for yourself.

• circe
    circe

I don't think that Joel was saying that we have to offer an alternative religion or philosophy to Decided (or to those that visit this site).

I do think he was trying to say that maybe it would help various lurkers and posters if we offered positive experiences in our life that have happened as a result of leaving JW's.

Am I right Joel?

What will life be like if you leave?

I for one, work full time as a manager for a natural foods and vitamin store. I've been with them off and on for seven years. I've recently had to declare bankruptcy (mostly due to attitudes I had toward money that I picked up from JW's: no need to worry the end is coming Real Soon Now). The people I work for purchased a car for me and I'm paying them back.

I'm married to an ex-JW. He posts here as felix angler. We have a nice apartment and hope to have a house sometime in the next few years. We have four cats and four zebra finches (and would have a house full of ferrets if I had my way).

I get to sleep in on Sundays, peacefully, knowing that I'm a good person and that some boogy-man in the sky isn't going to fry my butt for not selling magazines and books on the weekends.

We've been celebrating our birthdays. I even put together an "Easter" basket for my hubby this year (although we celebrate it as the Pagan holiday that it is).

We've considered attending the UU church in order to meet local like-minded people and to get involved in community things. My views of God are off the wall and unique, but I know that I'll be welcome at the UU because of their accepting attitude towards individual beliefs.

I am able to make friends with workmates without judging them as "worldly". I'm able to attend social gatherings without worrying about "bad association".

I get to watch the people walking by in the park without thinking "Oh those poor people, they don't have The Truth(tm). I hope they get it soon or they are all going to DIE!" Instead I watch them and think "I wonder what they believe about God? I wonder if they are good people? Do they have kids? What are their lives like?" And if they look like they need help, I know I can offer help without feeling like a hypocrite because it was drummed into my brain that if I really wanted to help them I would offer a Free Home Bible Study, instead of food, money or a blanket. Sigh.

I would have to say that the biggest positive benefit that I have reaped in my life due to leaving JW's is the feeling of PEACE that I have towards the world and the people in it (including myself).

circe

• Vienna
    Vienna

Well, after reading Circe's post, I didn't tell much about myself after leaving. Thanks for your post circe--I enjoyed reading about you.

I am an ex-JW, my husband is also ex-JW, we have a baby and three cats. I was rasied a JW and baptised at 18, and pretty much lead a good JW life. When I was 25, I was introduced to scriptures that showed things that proved the WT wasn't following the Bible (and a long list of other stuff). I left, of course saddened that my family is still in, but not angry in the slightest against JWs. I love them all.

Now I attend church (only a Bible teaching church which was important to me) where I volunteer in working in the church's nursery and stuffing bullentins for Sunday worship. I attend a "bookstudy" *smile* which is actually called a Community Group on Wednesday nights where we study the Bible and have fellowship, like the JW bookstudies. Right now we are studying 1 Timothy, and at all meetings we take it verse by verse, using a bible study guide. The only bad thing is that people bring desserts after the bible study, and it's not helping my diet!!!! LOL :)

Like circe, I don't view everyone as "worldly" anymore, but I DO recognize that some people are not good association simply for things like drug use, drinking in excess, etc., therefore some people I don't buddy with because of the differances in lifestyle. Not that I'm God to judge their every move and condemn them to death (like Witnesses do when they see people not conforming), but just plain ole "birds of a feather" theory--you hang out with people with your same interests.
    I get to watch the people walking by in the park without thinking "Oh those poor people, they don't have The Truth(tm). I hope they get it soon or they are all going to DIE!" Instead I watch them and think "I wonder what they believe about God? I wonder if they are good people? Do they have kids? What are their lives like?" And if they look like they need help, I know I can offer help without feeling like a hypocrite because it was drummed into my brain that if I really wanted to help them I would offer a Free Home Bible Study, instead of food, money or a blanket. Sigh.
    Ain't that the truth??? I'm currently in training and volunteering to help pregnant women in crisis situations and I was thinking this week "If I were a witness, I couldn't do this! I could only invite them to the Kingdom Hall!" Now I can help people in real life situations and still let them know the love of God without beating them on the head with it.

Life for me is better than I ever knew it could be after leaving the JWs. I honestly, honestly never knew such a life like this existed. I feel no anger or bitterness, and JWs are not stupid, just misdirected.

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

[/quote]some people are not good association simply for things like drug use, drinking in excess, etc[/quote]

You prolly shouldnt hang out wit' slayer layer

• Flip
    Flip
    I feel no anger or bitterness, and JWs are not stupid, just misdirected.

Vienna, misdirection didn't happen on it's own. How do you feel about the WTB&TS Corporation and the direction, by those who run it, steer Jehovah's Witnesses?

Flip

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit