Explain 1 Chronicles 16: 30; Psalms 104:5; Psalms 37: 9, 11, 22, 29, 34

by findingmyway 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• findingmyway
    findingmyway

If I remember correctly, these and other scriptures like it support the belief of "paradise on earth" inhabited by righteous people forever. Sorry to make you pull out your bibles, but do these verses confirm that the earth will always exist (i.e., never totter) and that the righteous will live on it forever?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Or you could pick other verses which describe the earth and/or the heavens being destroyed in the future (Psalm 102:25-26, Isaiah 51:6, Matthew 24:35, 2 Peter 3:5-7, 10-12, Revelation 20:11), to be replaced by a "new heavens and a new earth" (cf. Isaiah 65:17, 66:22, 2 Peter 3:13, Revelation 21:1).

As for the other scriptures, these are frequently read out of context or made to say more than they really state. 2 Chronicles 16:30 says that God created the earth to be "firm" and "unshakable" but this says nothing about it existing forever or that God cannot "shake" it or devastate it if he so wishes (cf. Job 9:6 "He shakes the earth from its place and makes its pillars tremble", Joel 2:10 refers to the earth shaking on the Day of Yahweh, Isaiah 24:19 says "The earth is broken up, the earth is split asunder, the earth is thoroughly shaken", Nahum 1:5 refers to the hills quaking and the mountains melting away, etc.). As it is, the psalm in 1 Chronicles 16 is a thanksgiving and stresses the blessings of God to the world; all the references to God destroying the world or inflicting damage to it is elsewhere in connection with eschatological judgment. It would be a mistake to read a thanksgiving psalm as if it had eschatological reference. Psalm 104 also is a thanksgiving psalm for the glories of creation and the reference to the earth being "unshakeable forever and ever" also has little to do with the eschatological "Day of Yahweh" or "Day of Judgment" scenarios the prophets (and later apocalypsists) entertained. This is just another example of different writers (writing for different purposes) expressing different points of view. The author of Psalm 104 just had no concept of God destroying the earth and creating a new one, tho Deutero-Isaiah, the author of 2 Peter, and the author of Revelation certainly did. The Society thus picks and chooses which scriptures they want to privilege in constructing their own apocalyptic scenario of the End, just as others pick and choose other texts. But it is quite clear that the destruction of the earth is a scenario entertained in the OT and NT.

As for Psalm 37, this text also is interpreted to mean something different than it says. It contrasts the wicked with the righteous, and declares that the wicked will perish while the righteous will be blessed: "Trust in Yahweh and do what is good, make your home in the land and live in peace; make Yahweh your only joy and he will give you what your heart desires ... Those he blesses will have a land for their own, those he curses will be expelled" (Psalm 37:3-4, 22). This passage has no eschatological orientation (just like the thanksgiving psalms) and no concept of an individual "earthly hope" in which the meek will be given the planet earth to dwell for eternity. It simply says that in the here and now "Yahweh takes care of good men's lives, and their heritage will last forever" (37:18 ). This is no concept of an earthly paradise, for famines still come and "times of disaster" still come (v. 19). Interesting that the Society never notices this fact. Rather than inheriting a paradise earth, the text simply states that "the humble shall have a land for their own to enjoy untroubled peace" (v. 11), and rather than referring to individuals living forever, the text plainly refers to the posterity and "descendents" of the righteous who will prosper and not "be wiped out" (v. 28, 37-38). If anything it has the "conquest" of Canaan by the "righteous" followers of Yahweh in view, who have inherited the "promised land" which Yahweh promised to Abraham would be theirs to possess forever (cf. Genesis 12:7, 15:18). The Society has put a spin on the passage to make it into a prophecy of a future paradise earth, but that is reading into the text what is not there.

• Legolas
    Legolas

This is what a Chris emailed me about Psalm 37...LOL Greetings ****** wonderful to hear from you. Congratulations on your freedom from Watchtower. I must commend you on your solid belief in the Bible and it only as far as a basis of belief -the scriptures are infallible. I too am the same way, believing first and foremost in the scriptures. I do attend and assist at a small rural Baptist church but Baptist is only a title. The scriptures you present are very valid ones in that they seem to indicate the eternity of this earth. These are just some of the ones among others that lead me to "question", heaven forbid the Watchtower Society, leading to my leaving it in 1996. I am glad I did, for now that spiritual blindness is gone. Revelation 5:10 -This verse clearly states, yes, reigining on earth; no contest there. We must also look to another description of this reign, given in Revelation 20:6. 20:6 tells us this reign is going to be only 1,000 years in duration. This 1,000 years is the Millenial Kingdom. There ar varying views as to the true definite meaning 5:10 among scholars and commentators: some indicate this rule will be "over" the earth, as the Watchtower teaches the 144,000 will rule from heaven over the earth; and some say it is literal meaning actually on the earth. I believe the latter. Note that the "new heavens and new earth" do not come into palce until after this reign is finished, as defined in Revelation 21:1-4; and note where it comes from -Heaven, being the New Jerusalem. the "tabernacle of God" -Rev. 21:3 is going to be with men, indicating we will then obviously be with God in his tabernacle; residents of the New Jerusalem, the "new city". Earth will no longer be needed as our home. Psalms 37:9-11-the nation of Isreal which David the psalmist was king over, was always looking to receive the inheritance promised them, their own land. In writng this passage, and also verse 29 so commonly used by Watchtower, he was referring to the expectation of that land, hence the term "will inherit". The words 'earth' and 'land' come from the same Hebrew root, and Watchtower takes advantage of that in such verses, making them sound as if this literal earth is to be restored/inherited/inhabited for all eternity. The Old Testament prophets never spoke of earthly eternity in paradise. David and the saints of old had no concept of an earthly paradise home; as the verse from the article stated, Hebrews 11:13-16 they looked for a heavenly dwelling place. How could David then write about an eternal earth when he had no knowledge of it? In following the whole theme of the Bible, one has to conclude that sin of man ruined this earth (Genesis 3:17 -ground is cursed), casued inherited sin, and we have been redeemed from that sin by the provision of Jesus Christ as a sacrifice. God does not need this earth. Jesus, Peter, and John in the Revelation from Jesus, all point to the destruction of this earth. We could write chapters unlimited on this all, as I do not think we will have a full understanding of the entire Word until going to heaven (1 Thessalonians 4:16,17). I must again refer to the article: all this Watchtower teaching about life in paradise did not come about until thye and they only 'discovered' there were 'too many' to fiot the sealed 144,000. I encourage you to keep researching everyhting. Pray for the guidance of the Holy Spirit to help learn and discern. We weren't supposed to look into things on our own wehn we were Jehovah's Witnesses... despite how often the used 1 Thesaalonians 5:21. Isn't it great now that we can do so without fear of repercussions? Amen. If I can be of any further help or anytime you just wish to share, feel free to e-mail Blessings; Chris Stire
    -Jehovah's Witness 1967-1996
    "Refuge And Release From The Watchtower Society"
    Life After Watchtower Support Ministries
    St. Thomas, Ontario
    Canada

• findingmyway
    findingmyway

I was cleaning the house when the recurring thought about paradise and the earth remaining forever came. I'm glad I decided to post this. I have a Concordance to the scriptures so I decided to look up those scriptural references for help on this. You know this was the only teaching that I found it hard to let go of -- mostly, because I have a son and the thought of taking such a wonderful possibility from him made me ill and riddled with guilt. I wasn't sure anyone would respond, but I am so happy for those of you who did.

I see the light now!

I am forever grateful!

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

For ignorant people (like me) who don't know what the word "eschatological" means:

Eschatology literally means the study of the eschaton, the times of the end, 'last things', or 'end times.' In Zoroastrianism, Christianity, Rastafari, and in Norse pagan theology, eschatology is a theology concerning the end of the world, as predicted in the prophecies of these faiths, and as recorded in their sacred texts. It can also be the study of general afterlife concepts of other religions, especially the western monotheistic faiths. In this broader sense, eschatology can refer to the messiah, a messianic era, the afterlife, and the soul in religions which have such beliefs.

More info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eschatological

-ithinkisee

PS: Leolia ... I'm working on the pics ...

• prophesariah
    prophesariah

Thanks ithinkisee!

I was wondering about that word myself. I didn't want to stop reading through the thread to look up the word. You saved me from having to do that. Love/Peace/Respect

• prophesariah
    prophesariah

Hello findingmyway!

I see you are a "Newbie" that I probably did not have an opportunity to acknowledge. So, here is my official WELCOME!!!!!!! This was an interesting topic. I look forward to more of your posts.

Love/Peace/Respect

• findingmyway
    findingmyway

Thanks a lot. It's definitely great to be here!

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Excellent, Leolaia. I can see, however, how JWs can easily fool people that know little/nothing about the Bible, when pulling out scriptures like that. When you just look at it, not taking into consideration the context of the text, it can look very scary (if that`s what they want) or promising (if that`s what they want). The bible is a dangerous tool...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit