Need help with MATH

by horrible life 10 Replies latest jw friends

• horrible life
    horrible life

I know this isn't the place for math questions. But I really want to go to bed. This is daughters homework. I'm checking it. It's her first day with algerbra. She has gotten most all wrong that I have checked. And her boyfriend broke up with her tonight. So no wonder she isn't thinking. This is the only one I can't get. Please help!!! i have been writing down how she has messed up each answer. Thanks HL

2/3 - 6h = -11/6

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

2/3 - 6h = -11/6 Do the same thing to both sides of the equation

2/3 + 11/6 = 6h Add 6h to both sides, add 11/6 to both sides

15/6 = 6h Make both fraction something/6, and add up

5/2 = 6h Simplify the fraction

5/12 = h Divide both sides by 6

My dad taught me algebra and trigonometry, and how to use an instrument solder. He is one of those dirty stoopid JWs, you know.

• horrible life
    horrible life

FE Thank you so much. I have making this so much harder than it is. What you did in 5 steps, I have been using 10 + steps. I understand!!! This is so much easier. I owe you big time. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good NIght HL

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Wheres Katie Kitten when you need her???

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Apparently, she is preparing to dance around in her bedroom, clad in naught but a pair of large pants which are .......

Actually, I can't put it better than she has

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/96997/1663824/post.ashx#1663824

• horrible life
    horrible life

FE203girl is my hero. I have been going over several of the other problems. I was making it soooooo hard. Changing subtraction signs, and then changing the sign of the second number. Nevermind. Thank you again!!! HL

• horrible life
    horrible life

LOL Looks like Katie has a wonderful excuse. LOL HL

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

To be honest horrible life, I don't think there is a "right" way to work them out - it just has to make sense to you (or your daughter!)

What I am really doing in my head is "move -11/6 to the other side of the = and it changes sign to +. Move -6h to the other side and it changes sign to +." But that doesn't really make much sense!

You could also multiply everything by 6 to get rid of the fractions as the first step, so 4 - 36h = -11. Actually, that would probably be better than the first one I did.........

• John Doe
    John Doe

Wait 'til she gets to completing the square, the quadratic formula, and elimination. Those are really fun! :-)

• thom
    thom

I've been helping my daughter with math (7th grade) but I notice the terminology is so much different that I'm familiar with. I know how to do the math (math is a big part of my work), but the instructions are confusing. One problem last night I had to tell her I had no clue what they expected her to do and to skip it and ask the teacher today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit