Homeless "Pete"

by Billygoat 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

There is a homeless man (I’ll call him Pete) that stands on a street corner nearby my home. He’s been on this corner since I moved into this neighborhood almost 4 years ago. A staple to our community really. And it’s a busy intersection, lots of traffic. He carries a little cardboard sign that reads, “Homeless – need help – God bless you for anything you can give me.” Pete always wears the same clothing – a dark pair of grimy jeans and an old, torn plaid shirt. Sometimes in the cold he will have an oversize army jacket over his clothing. Beneath his captain’s hat he has long white hair pulled into a ponytail in the back of his head. He has intense blue eyes that stand out against his grizzled face that is tan and weathered, like a sailor. I have seen those eyes close up several times, as I hand him my loose change or occasional spare dollar bill. Those eyes always twinkle at me as he takes my offering. Pete is always polite, friendly, and thankful for anything you give him, even if is just a few quarters. One time I even went to the market and bought him some bags of food. Which he took graciously and thankfully. It made me feel good to know that I’d helped him. I wanted him to know that there are kind and loving people out there. He probably sees so much coldness and apathy.

Usually, I’m at this intersection during peak rush hour, around 6 or so. Yesterday, things were a little different. I got off work late. I didn’t get to that corner until around 7 PM. As I was sitting there at the red light, I saw Pete take his ratty backpack and his sign and walk over to a nearby parking lot. He got into a fairly clean old model Chevy that wasn’t in very good shape and proceeded to drive away. I sat there for a moment just a little stunned. As I drove away from the light, I began questioning his claim. I questioned his honesty. Was he really homeless? Did he live in a shelter? Did he live in his car? Did he have children that were starving? Did he have a sweet hungry wife waiting somewhere? Or was he just a con artist trying to make an easy buck?

I know that there are con artists that do pose as homeless people. I’m sure some of them make a decent amount of money. But I also know there are people who are down on their luck and really need assistance. Face it, nobody WANTS to be homeless. Some homeless are there because of addictions and others are there because of making poor life choices. But my question is, “How do you know the difference?” My experience yesterday has left me shaken and confused. Maybe even a little disappointed. Unfounded disappointment perhaps, but it’s still there. Part of me still has compassion for this little man, but another part of me feels duped.

I write this right before I leave my office to go home tonight. I find myself asking more questions. Will Pete be there again? Will his white Chevy be in the nearby parking lot again? Do I ask him questions? Do I say something to the police? I’m not sure. I struggle with my anger and wanting to confront him, but then I also struggle with a desire to be compassionate and trust that he really needs help.

I guess I’m more relating my experience than anything, but if you have any input, I’d appreciate you sharing.

Billygoat

• think41self
    think41self

Hi Billygoat,

I too have asked myself some of these same questions. Where I live, I really don't see homeless people that often. It is only occasionally that I even have the opportunity to do something, so I usually take it. I will either swing in somewhere and get them a quick meal and drop it off, or give them a buck or two.

The way I figure is, I can't worry if every one of them is just trying to rip me off. Either way, I am only out a little bit of money. If I were so suspicious that I doubted them ALL and never helped any, then I know I would probably be denying help to someone who legitimately needed it.

Since you've been seeing this guy for 4 years though...it does make you wonder. But it's not like he got in a BMW, right?

think41self

"When agnostics die, do they go to the great perhaps"?

• COMF
    COMF

You don't have to know the difference, Billygoat. They're all con artists. There is never any need for anyone to stake out a corner by a freeway exit, or a median at a busy intersection. There are lots of programs to assist down-and-out people to get food, jobs, housing and medical care. Truly down-and-out folks know where these places are, and how to use them.

Folks camped out on the corner are there because they choose to be, not because there's nothing else for them to do. You're here in Dallas, with me. Just take a harder look at some of them, next time you're sitting at the red light. Look over about 10 or 15 feet away from them, to where their gear is stashed. The plastic cooler, the backpack, the radio, the umbrella for when they're taking a "work" break.

Those guys are doing pretty good. I've heard cases of guys saying they make $40,000 or better a year doing that.

A friend of mine and I had an ongoing joke about it, about how the city should license street corners and advertise.

Corner Franchises!
    Are you tired of working all day? Want to stand around doing nothing and still make good money? City of Dallas Corner Bums Department has premium corners available for licensing. Your free starter kit comes complete with two full changes of torn, filthy clothing and one cardboard sign, emblazoned with your choice from a variety of messages, including:

"Homeless, have hungry family, will work for food"
    "Homeless, hungry - please help, and may God bless"
    "Vietnam Vet, disabled due to Agent Orange."
    "Sick, homeless, need $$$ for doctor, please help"
    "Unemployed dotcommer, will build e-commerce websites for food"

If you think you have what it takes to be a successful corner bum, call now! But hurry... freeway exits are going fast! Act now to reserve your place in the exciting world of con artistry!

COMF

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I was just about to start my own thread on beggars and whether or not they're genuine. My most recent experience was just after a thread on aus.politics about the kinds of scams that go on - I had resolved to give other than money if asked. A woman came up to me on Wollongong station and asked me for money to buy a can (375ml) of coke. I said I'd but it for her. She said fine, but could I make it a 600ml bottle now? Okay, I say. I buy it for her at the shop on the platform, and when I come out, I see her working her way down the platform, trying to sell the bottle!

A popular scam here is for someone to come up to you with his doctor's prescription and asking for the money to get it filled (here in Oz it's generally $3.50 for people on welfare, so that's the amount they ask for. I've speculated that if I did the same thing I did for the woman on the station and took them into the chemist's to get the script filled, whether they'd try selling the drugs on the street to get the money!

My favourite was an old bloke who came up to me and asked me for enough to buy a beer at the Oxford Tavern! What can I say? I always believe that honesty is the best policy, so I rewarded him for his truthfulness. (Still wondering about that one!)

Q: How do you know a Dub loyal to "Jehovah's Organisation" is lying?
    A: Their lips are moving.

• CordeDeVelour
    CordeDeVelour

Hm.....random question. Has the society ever given out formal instructions on how to 'give the good news' to homeless people? In my congregation none would approach then.

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

How about giving homeless people Watchtower and Awake mags instead of money. Wow, another neat way for pioneers to keep their mag placements up.

I knew some sicko Witnesses who put literature in the bags of kids trick or treating at Halloween. Talk about asking for your house to be egged.

• Isis
    Isis

Billygoat,

I can see why you would wonder about this homeless guy. I personally don't give any money to beggers. I think most of them are con artists. You have to wonder, if this guy could get up everyday to make it to the same corner, why couldn't he get up each day to make it to a job. I'll tell you why, because it was much easier for him to take handouts instead of actually work for his money. It actually makes me a bit mad when I think about it. I get up and go to work every day and some "bum" on the corner wants me to give him my money! My thoughts: Get a job, anywhere, you can't tell me McDonalds wouldn't hire this guy - they will just about hire anyone.

Just my thoughts,
    Isis

• Princess
    Princess

My family and I were at the Seattle waterfront a couple weeks ago and there were beggars everywhere. The Prince is always irritated by the signs. He wants to know where they hide the stash of Magic Markers. Anyway, there was a young man sitting on the sidewalk with his clean and very cute baby daughter. He had a homeless/jobless sign and a torn cup from a nearby restaurant. His baby was well dressed in a nice stroller with expensive toys. People were giving him cans of formula and money. What a scam! Oh yeah, he was smoking too. I was really annoyed by that one, and all the suckers giving him freebies.

Princess

• Ustabee
    Ustabee

My wife, 'Lefty' and I were in SF a couple of years ago on vacation. Down on Fisherman's Wharf was a legion of panhandlers. Being the hard-hearted and street educated person I am, I just went right by most of them. One fellow, however, was so totally honest with his sign, I had to contribute to his 'fund.' The BUD fund. Seemed logical to me. Another one was the group of punk rockers (6 in all) who were offering group pictures to the tourists. Naturally, I had to pose 'Lefty' in the middle. Worth two bucks to me just to show the pic to our friends back home.

Then, there was the evening we were returning to our hotel and passed a young lady sitting on the sidewalk with two small children. It was around 10:00 PM. 'Lefty' is absolutely beside herself wanting me to give the girl money. "But, honey, those two little kids!" My comment was that the State of CA has so many programs for deserving people, that to be on the street was totally unnecessary. Most likely, she rented the kids from a friend.

Additionally, a lot of panhandlers get dogs from the pound and use them as sympathy 'hooks'. Some may pass a human down on their luck, but they know it's tough for a lot of people to pass up a 'helpless' animal.

So, save your money for the next United Way Fund Drive, I say!

• joelbear
    joelbear

First,

Billygoat.

Don't be down on yourself even if you were duped. Be grateful for your kind and giving nature.

I seldom give money to beggars, but do occassionally. I used to give money every day to an obviously mentally ill woman who stood outside of the bank I was consulting at in Nashville Tennessee.

I gave some money to a guy in Key West one day who said he wanted it to buy beer. Later on that night, I saw him laying literally in the gutter outside one of the bars, the police were about to drag him off to jail. Made me feel kind of guilty, but he was smiling.

I have to agree. Most of the people working the streets are con artists. Still makes you feel bad to go past them.

hugs

Joel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit