Donnie Darko an appropriate JW movie

by tsunami_rid3r 19 Replies latest jw friends

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

Is too demonized???

• damselfly
    damselfly

They think everything is demonized. I thought the movie was great.

Dams

• avishai
    avishai

Interestingly enough, I thought of myself as a teen and the borg a lot when i watched that movie, especially Patrick Swayze's little group and all of his followers.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

It's not demonized, but JW's will think it is because they won't be able to figure it out...

• shera
    shera

I saw the movie and I didn't see anything that would make it seem like demons were envolved....hmmmmm...must watch the movie again.

• steve2
    steve2

Donnie darko is definitely a must-see movie. But I think it would freak out young sensitive JWs - especially those who need everything to be nice and tidily explained and crystal-clear. The movie beats hands-down that other mental-illness movie Beautiful Mind which is closer to aspergers than schizophrenia. Donnie Darko captures so well the numbed-out, spacy, fear-filled world of a young person in the grip of psychosis. It pulls no punches. The dining room table scenes with the family members verbally abusing each other are priceless and the scenes with the old lady dwaddling across the road are stunning. steve2

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

Donnie Darko captures so well the numbed-out, spacy, fear-filled world of a young person in the grip of psychosis.

Actually this isn't the subject of the movie at all. The book that the movie reference about seeing the path of the future is actaully the basis of the entire move. The movie assumed the book is true and the plot develops around it as Donnie discovers it is true, he's not psycotic, he is the only one that knows the truth, and then chooses to sacrifice himself at the end to save others.

• talesin
    talesin

I have not seen this movie ... hmmm ...

t

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. Most JW's wouldn't watch this movie simply because it is rated R.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

I liked the movie, but I have to be honest, the rabbit totally freaked me out. There must be a small portion of Jdub mentality still left in me, somewhere.

CountryGuy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit