Christ---Jehovah God

by RevFrank 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

1. "To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ." 11 Peter 1:1 Emphatic Diaglott
    2. "The glorious appearing of our Great God and Savior, Jesus Christ," Titus 2:13 Emphatic Diaglott
    3. "Keep watch over yourself and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has you overseers. Be shepherd of the Church of God, which he bought with his own Blood." Acts 20:28 New International Versions
    4. "Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of Christ, who is God over all, forever praised; amen." Romans 9:5 King James.
    5. "The life appeared, we have seen it and testified to it, and we proclaim to you the Eternal Life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us." 1 John 1:2 King James "and we are in him who is true even in his son Jesus, He is the True God and Eternal Life." 1 John 5:20 King James.
    6. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God Himself." John 1:1 Amplified version.
    7 . "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness; God was manifested in the flesh. 1 Timothy 3:16 King James
    8. "and Thomas answered and said to him My Lord and my God," Jesus said to him"Thomas because you have seen me you have believed," John 20:28 King James
    9. "For in him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead Bodily," Colossians 2:9 King James "Godhead" (Greek-Theotetos). In Thayers Greek Lexicon page 288; i.e.. The state of being God (Godhead)
    10. "Who although being essentially one with God and in the form of God ( possessing the fullness of the attributes which make God God ) did not think this equality with God was a thing to be grasped or retained." Philippians 2:6 Amplified Version. The Athanasian Creed says Jesus was inferior to the Father in position because of this verse and others, which point out Jesus laid aside his equality he shared in Heaven with God the Father when he came down to Earth.
    11. "But sanctify the Christ as Jehovah God in your hearts." 1 Peter 3:15 ( Kingdom Interlinear New World Bible Committee footnotes B-Textus Receptus J-4,8,12,14,16,17.)
    12. "and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Jehovah." Philippians 2:11 Kingdom Interlinar (Should read this way according to page 18 in Kingdom Interlinar since it is a direct quote from Hebrew text where Jehovah's name was used (see Isaiah 45:23) this rule was used in same version in Romans 14:11 but for obvious reasons wasn't in Philippians 2:11.
    13. "Nor let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed by serpents." 1 Corinthians 10:9 King James.
    14. "Your attitude should be the same that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not cling to his rights as God." Philippians 2:5,6 New Living Translation
    15. "No one has seen God (referring to the Father) But God the one and Only, who is at the Fathers side, has made him known:"
    John 1:18 New International Version (Jehovah God was seen many times by the people, so in them cases it couldn't the Father, (Had to be Jesus who was seen and called Jehovah ) " Moses and Aaron, Nahab and Abihu, and Seventy of the Elders went up and saw God Of Israel under his feet was something like
    a pavement made of sapphire, clear as the sky it self, but God did not raise his hand against these leaders of the Israelites, they saw God, and they ate and drank." Exodus 24:9-11 King James Version "at this point the men turned from there way to Sodom but as for Jehovah he was still standing before Abraham ...the Jehovah went his way when had finished speaking to Abraham." Genesis 18:22-33 New World Translation. Genesis 18:2 says three men appeared to Abraham, two are identified as Angels ( Genesis 19:1 ) One is identified as Jehovah God. Genesis 18: 1,3,13,14,17,20,22,26,27,31,32,33.

• daystar
  • sunshine2
    sunshine2

.....well...to me it does not even matter anymore, is Jesus the same as God? What if he is and what if he isn't? What would change?

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

13. "Nor let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed by serpents." 1 Corinthians 10:9 King James.
    nice. so jesus doesn't like to be tempted then? okaydokee.

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

I wonder if we will ever be able to fathon out this doctrine. If Jesus and Jehovah are the same, are we talking about part of the Trinity?. There are many other scriptures that indicate that Jesus did not consider himself to be the same as God Almighty. Phil 2 v 6 ..."although he was existing in God's form gave no consideration to a seizure, namely that he should be EQUAL to God." and v 9 .. "for this very reason God exalted Him to a superior position and gave him the name that is above all other names " ...? that's from the New World Translation, but I have also checked out the Amplied Bible, which gives the same meaning. If Jesus is the same as Jehovah, how could he exalt himself to a superior position when he has already got the highest position?

Twink

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

God and "Jehovah God" are two different notions to me

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

How about when God in heaven spoke to Jesus on the earth? How could Jesus have been speaking to himself?

It does seem like there are a lot of contradictions in the scriptures as to the relationship between Jehovah and Jesus. I spent many hours over the years arguing with trinitarians about this. They had their scriptures and I had mine. Inwardly, I was confused as to why the scriptures were not more clear.

If Jesus can be referred to as "God", and if he is separate from Jehovah, how can we say that there is only one God?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

One thing i have never seen the watchtower discuss is the ontological and economic differences in the trinity, yet they are crucial to understanding it. The trinity doctrine states that though they are ontologically the same they are economically different. Economically the father is greater than the son, yet this does not make the father greater overall. That is why Jesus called the father his head. To illstrate, the president is economically greater than me due to his job, but that does not make him greater than me as a person.

This ontology/economy debate is how the idea of trinity is able rectify the father/son/HS having different roles and positions yet still being the same in power/eternity etc.

• hooberus
    hooberus
    If Jesus can be referred to as "God", and if he is separate from Jehovah, how can we say that there is only one God?

Jesus is not "separate from Jehovah". He (along with the Father and Holy Spirit) is Jehovah. Thus, there is only one God.

The one God Jehovah exists as three eternal persons (each of whom is God). These persons are also distinct from each other. Therefore, Jesus is at times shown to be distinct from another person who is "God" without denying his own deity (ie: that he is also Jehovah).

To use an analogy*: The current US president is distinct from another person who is Bush (his father), yet he himself also is Bush.

*This analogy is not meant to be parallel in all aspects but to illustrate only the above point.

• RevFrank

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit