A Comparison Of Translations

by Honesty 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Honesty
    Honesty

Decide for yourself how accurate the New World Translation is:

*** Rbi8 Exodus 6:2-3 ***2 And God went on to speak to Moses and to say to him: “I am Jehovah. 3 And I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as God Almighty, but as respects my name Jehovah I did not make myself known to them.

Ex 6:2-3 (HCSB)Then God spoke to Moses, telling him, “I am Yahweh. 3 I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty, but I did not make My name Yahweh known to them.

*** Rbi8 Genesis 21:32-34 *** 33 After that he planted a tamarisk tree at Be'er-she'ba and called there upon the name of Jehovah the indefinitely lasting God. 34 And Abraham extended his residence as an alien in the land of the Phi·lis'tines many days.

Gen 21:33 (HCSB)33 Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beer-sheba, and there he worshiped the Lord, the Everlasting God.

*** Rbi8 Genesis 22:14 ***14 And Abraham began to call the name of that place Je·ho'vah-ji'reh. This is why it is customarily said today: “In the mountain of Jehovah it will be provided.”

Gen 22:14 (HCSB)14 And Abraham named that place The Lord Will Provide, so today it is said: “It will be provided on the Lord’s mountain.”

*** Rbi8 Genesis 26:23-25 ***23 Then he went up from there to Be'er-she'ba. 24 And Jehovah proceeded to appear to him during that night and to say: “I am the God of Abraham your father. Do not be afraid, because I am with you, and I will bless you and multiply your seed on account of Abraham my servant.” 25 Accordingly he built an altar there and called on the name of Jehovah and pitched his tent there, and the servants of Isaac went excavating a well there.

Gen 26:23-25 (HCSB)23 From there he went up to Beer-sheba, 24 and the Lord appeared to him that night and said, “I am the God of your father Abraham. Do not be afraid, for I am with you. I will bless you and multiply your offspring because of My servant Abraham.”
    25 So he built an altar there, worshiped the Lord, and pitched his tent there.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

WoW, you and I really think very alike! I had been planning on making a post about this, long ago. Because this issue is very important, much more so than most people understand. I really don`t understand why this isn`t discussed more on this forum. Because, if you pick up a NWT and start reading it, of course JW-doctrine will seem to be the correct interpretation of the Bible. They have rewritten it, to fit their doctrine! And the consequences of this, is just appaling, because it means taking brainwashing and indoctrination one step further! When a young person now grows up as a JW, that person won`t know what the Bible really says, because he/she has been reading the NWT all his/her life! And it is impossible, at least difficult, to question a religion that has it`s own Bible, tailormade to fit it`s already established doctrine!

Ok, here are some more, I haven`t figured them out myself, I found them on another "apostate" site: I have added end edited some to the commentaries.

Genesis 1:1-2

NWT: In [the] beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth proved to be formless and waste and there was darkness upon the surface of [the] watery deep; and God's active force was moving to and fro over the surface of the waters.

NIV: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

NASB: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.

KJV: In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness [was] upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

(My opinion: The Trinity-teaching may or may not be correct, I don`t know, but it is still unethical of the WTS to "remove" all doubt)

Zechariah 12:10

NWT: And I will pour out upon the house of David and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem the spirit of favor and entreaties, and they will certainly look to the One whom they pierced through, and they will certainly wail over Him as in the wailing over an only [son]; and there will be a bitter lamentation over him as when there is bitter lamentation over the firstborn [son].

NIV: And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplication. They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son.

NASB: I will pour out on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the Spirit of grace and of supplication, so that they will look on Me whom they have pierced; and they will mourn for Him, as one mourns for an only son, and they will weep bitterly over Him like the bitter weeping over a firstborn.

KJV: And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

(My opinion: Again, an attack on anything that might indicate that the Trinity-teaching could be correct. Many christians interpret this passage as a Messianic prophecies, because God (Yahweh/Jehovah) is speaking in the first person about Him being the one who will be pierced through. Jesus fulfilled this prophecy, and the Jehovah’s Witnesses recognize this as well. The implications are clear. Since this was God’s prophecy about what would happen to Him, and Jesus fulfilled this prophecy, then Jesus must be God, at least this is a very valid interpretation. In fact, in the NWT Zechariah 12:1 indicates these are the “words of Jehovah.”The NWT translators apparently missed the inclusion in this verse of the Hebrew ayth, which Strong’s indicates it is a contraction of a word that gives the meaning of “self.” )

Mathew 14:33 (among others)

NWT: Then those in the boat did obeisance to him, saying: “You are really God’s Son.”

NIV: Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."

NASB: And those who were in the boat worshiped Him, saying, "You are certainly God's Son!"

KJV: Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God.

(My opinion: Whether or not Jesus was God or not, it is wrong to change anything, for other than clear linguistic reasons! The WTS has changed this verse, because they think it`s wrong for Jesus to be worshipped. In their eyes, he is clearly not God, and no worship should therefore be allowed. So they simply changed it. The Greek word here is proskuneo. While this word can be translated as doing obeisance (which is defined as giving reverence or homage), the giveaway is the Watchtower’s inconsistency in translating this word. In every instance in the New Testament were proskuneo is given to Jesus Christ, it is translated as doing “obeisance.” Where proskuneo is directed to the Father (“Jehovah” in the NWT), they rightly translate it as “worship” (as in John 4:20)

John 1:1

NWT: In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.

NIV: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

NASB: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.KJV: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(My opinion: Here, every legitimate translation of the Bible reads the same – the Word (logos) was God (theos). The NWT stands alone in its contention that the Word was a god. This is to reinforce the JW doctrine that Jesus is not Jehovah. That may be so, I don`t know, but there are no linguistic reasons for changing it. It is done solely to insist on Jesus not being God, because that is what JW-doctrine says)

John 8:58

NWT: Jesus said to them: “Most truly I say to YOU , Before Abraham came into existence, I have been.”

NIV: “I tell you the truth,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!

NASB: Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."

KJV: Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

(My opinion:I used to think that Jesus was here saying that he was God, as gods name, YHWH means "I am", or "I exist". And many christians see this verse as just this, Jesus claiming that he is God. After having discussed this with some members of this board, I`m not so sure anymore. But either way, there are no liguistic reasons for changing it. It is done simply to remove any doubt about the WTS` view on Jesus` relation to his Father. It`s simply not right to do so)

Acts 20:28

NWT: Pay attention to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the holy spirit has appointed YOU overseers, to shepherd the congregation of God, which he purchased with the blood of his own [Son].

NIV: Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.

NASB: Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.

KJV: Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

(My opinion: Same as above)

Colossians 1:16,17

NWT: because by means of him all [other] things were created in the heavens and upon the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, no matter whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All [other] things have been created through him and for him. Also, he is before all [other] things and by means of him all [other] things were made to exist,

NIV: For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

NASB: For by Him all things were created, {both} in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.

KJV: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether [they be] thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

(My opinion: Same as above)

Titus 2:13

NWT: while we wait for the happy hope and glorious manifestation of the great God and of [the] Savior of us, Christ Jesus

NIV: while we wait for the blessed hope—the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ

NASB: looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus

KJV: Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

(My opinion: Same as above).

• Honesty
    Honesty

The WTBTS goes to great lengths to heap ridicule on the God they claim to serve with their apostate New World Translation.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

By the way, this one is just appaling:

*** Rbi8 Genesis 22:14 ***14 And Abraham began to call the name of that place Je·ho'vah-ji'reh. This is why it is customarily said today: “In the mountain of Jehovah it will be provided.”

The Torah can`t possible use the "Jehovah"-version of Gods name, as this version wasn`t invented until around 1100 a.d (!!!). The name of God is YHWH, not Jahve, and certainly not Jehovah. The name, YHWH, was considered so holy, that the Israelites stopped saying it out loud, in fear of using Gods name in vain. So, the exact pronounciation of the word, was forgotten. Eventually, the name, YHWH, was crossed with the word for Lord, "Adonai"; so that the vowls of AdOnAi were used with the consonants YHWH, resulting in the word "Yahowah", which eventually evolved into Yahweh, and the "Jehovah"-version was the invention of a monk in the 11th century. So Abraham couldn`t possibly have begun calling the name of that place "Je-ho-vah-ji-reh". It is historically impossible. An anachronism. He might have called it "Ya-hw-eh-ji-reh", but definitely not Je-ho-vah-ji-reh.

See: http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/c/1124383017-2139.html

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I often wonder, do crtics of the NWT ever read its Appenidices to find out why certain passages are rendered a certain way? I hear "the JWs have rewritten the Bible to suit their doctrines" all too often.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Cygnus: I don`t own a copy, I use the net-version of the NWT, published on the Watchtowers official website. It is published there, but without appendicies. Would you care to elaborate further on what it is in the appendicies that you feel might justify the changes in the above mentioned passages?

• robhic
    robhic

I'm sure this has been noted before, but for the sake of this particular discussion I think I'll do it again.

If you go to http://www.e-sword.net/ you can download a free electronic bible and many, many different translations. It is an excellent piece of software and you can get a lot of other things like biblical maps, commentaries, dictionaries, etc.

But the point I wanted to stress right here is that the e-Sword software contains a "compare" function wherein you can select as many different translations as you want and it will compare the verse selected side-by-side. It would make the comparisons like above in this thread a lot easier and faster.

Plus, the whole thing is free for download. You can send the guy a donation and he'll send you a CD but you can download all for free, regardless. Pretty cool.

Robert

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Well, some (read: mostly evangelicals) call the different renderings in the NWT "changes." JW/NWT apologists will say they are restorations to the original meanings and best ways to translate difficult passages. For instance, IMO they make a good case for what anti-NWTers call the "insertion" of the word "other" in Colossians 1. Best get yourself a big brown NWT reference Bible, as I can't reproduce all the Appendices here. There are a few decent pro-NWT websites out there too that deal with the criticisms against the translation, such as http://www.bibletranslation.co.sr/ . Rolf Furuli's book on bias in translation of the Bible is an interesting read (but I sold my copy on ebay).

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Colossians 1:16,17

NWT: because by means of him all [other] things were created in the heavens and upon the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, no matter whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All [other] things have been created through him and for him. Also, he is before all [other] things and by means of him all [other] things were made to exist,

This is one of the most egregious examples of how self-serving and sectarian the NWT is, it makes me shudder, and hell I'm not even very Christian.

That and the comma placement in Jesus words to the evildoer next to him on the cross,

Truly I tell you today, you will be with me in Paradise

it's sick

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Dan, why is it sick? Do you know why "other" is in the NWT? Do other religions that teach as do JWs that the comma belongs after "today" in Luke ('cause it definitely could be put there) make you equally as sick?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit