Religious symbols

by daystar 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• daystar
    daystar

Since reading C.G. Jung's Man and His Symbols many years ago (and really, before), I've been interested in the various symbols man has used in his religious practice, their history, and what they mean to him.

The cross, for example, is probably the oldest religious symbol in the world. It is a solar-phallic symbol representing the masculine forces of life. In its current, Christian, form, it also symbolises the balance of forces within the human mind-body-soul system, North (divinity), South (earthly), East, and West (alternatively, depending upon tradition, the masculine and feminine energies, or aspects).

The hexagram, in either its common Jewish star of David form or the more recent unicursal form, has similar symbolism, though it might be considered more complex.

Both of these religious symbols, for example, have histories and applications that make their symbolisms less than Christian in the most common sense of the word. I think that one thing the WTS has right is their refusal to use such symbols in their religious practice, in their fight to remain (become) "pure". If I were to, God forbid, return to the fold, I would have to divest myself of all pagan accoutrements, knowing how what they symbolise work on our psyches from our collective unconscious regardless as to whether or not we consciously are aware of them or what they symbolise.

That being said, I still have respect for the fact that the WTS tries to clear out pagan influences in its efforts to be pure. I see problems, however, in that it picks and chooses what it will allow or not allow. This hypocrisy is part of what I despise about

So, while not being a religious man, per se, or even having belief in the objective existence of any god at all, I recognise the power of symbols and how they work to influence the human system.

In other words, I am an atheist who uses religious symbols, practices, etc. in order to influence the direction, mood, and quality of, my life. I find that they do, despite my disbelief, in that my life takes on a different... color, depending upon how I've designed the sphere of prominent symbols surrounding me.

I'm interested in seeing what others have to say about any of this.

• daystar
    daystar

Whoaahhh... *crickets*

Nothing?

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

That's assuming that the cross is a "pagan" symbol and not a representation of an intsrument of toture. Of course, a crucifix immediately clears up this mistake.

Of course, the WT and many other Protestants like to use post hoc ergo propter hoc type of thinking.

• daystar
    daystar
    That's assuming that the cross is a "pagan" symbol and not a representation of an intsrument of toture.

It has attracted new meaning over time, and means slightly different things to different people. It was more clearly a solar symbol until someone decided that Jesus was tortured and murdered upon it. And even then, if you get beyond the literal sense of it, it symbolises a purifying element.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    It was more clearly a solar symbol until someone decided that Jesus was tortured and murdered upon it.

So the Romans didn't have crucifixion? Wow, all those early Christians were really committed to the lie that was completely invented by other generations (just like the Vietnam vets, when we all know that Vietnam never happened).

• Sirona
    Sirona
    I think that one thing the WTS has right is their refusal to use such symbols in their religious practice, in their fight to remain (become) "pure". If I were to, God forbid, return to the fold, I would have to divest myself of all pagan accoutrements, knowing how what they symbolise work on our psyches from our collective unconscious regardless as to whether or not we consciously are aware of them or what they symbolise.

Pardon?

Why is their (the symbols') influence a bad thing? Why does use of them make one "impure", even if one is a christian?

It is my opinion that such symbols should NOT be rejected, but should be embraced as a powerful, beautiful, unifying influence. They tie together religious thought throughout the centuries (millennia even) and are just as powerful today as they were back then.

To try and purge them from our psyche is simply denial. For instance, for the skeptic, the symbols can reflect certain mathematical beauty (e.g. the pentagram). So even those with no belief in God needn't "purge them" (in fact they're least likely to deem it necessary). For believers like me, purging them would produce a gap which could never be filled with pathetic watchtower symbology.

Sirona

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Good point, Sirona. There's nothing wrong with a syncretism when it comes to melding cultures (I would think melding doctrine would be more troublesome).

• daystar
    daystar
    So the Romans didn't have crucifixion? Wow, all those early Christians were really committed to the lie that was completely invented by other generations (just like the Vietnam vets, when we all know that Vietnam never happened).

No, no, no... I'm not saying that at all. My choice of words may not have been the best there, but it was an attempt at remaining neutral on that controversy. The point is that the idea that Christ died on the cross changed the symbolism for the cross to include that. Prior to that, the cross was more directly a solar symbol.

Don't start confronting me on a tangental topic.

• daystar
    daystar

sirona

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Perhaps you did not read the rest of the post?

In other words, I am an atheist who uses religious symbols, practices, etc. in order to influence the direction, mood, and quality of, my life. I find that they do, despite my disbelief, in that my life takes on a different... color, depending upon how I've designed the sphere of prominent symbols surrounding me.
  • Sirona
    Sirona

Ok Daystar,

What I don't understand is how on the one hand you can agree with the JWs on purging ourselves of the symbols for the sake of purity, whereas on the other hand you embrace them? Are you simply saying that their version of impurity is wrong? Or that you don't mind embracing it?

Sirona

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit