It's cool to live near a church

by Cygnus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

I live near a Catholic church

and further down the street is an Anglican church

One of my friends live down the street from Church of Christ

And...

Another one of my friends lives down the street from the Kingdom hall of Jehovah's Witnesses *she didn't know until I told her, and now she never hears the end of it from me! *

Evanescence

• Es
    Es

I dont think i would want to live near a church, too much commotion going on es

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

well, it beats living close to a mosque.

• Princess
    Princess
    Sometimes that "smug" look is a vain attempt to combat attack. In an increasingly secular world, some folks are disconcerted when their beliefs are challenged. You see it in all sorts of people, over all sorts of issues, not just religious ones.

Hmmm, kind of like the dubs then? I think they (my churchy neighbors) put on an extra special smug face when I walk by. Perhaps it's a reaction to how I'm dressed, which is usually unacceptable by their standards it seems.

I think that proselytisation (both ways, secular or religious) has a lot of negativity attached to it. If your beliefs don't speak through your life and walk, they are unlikely to make much impact through your words...

Are you saying that's a good thing? I see people around whose looks just scream "CHURCHY" (like a dub for instance) and I instantly form an opinion and walk the other way. These are the same people who have to know in the first minute of an introduction whether or not you are Christian and make sure you know they are.

Obviously your last statement has a lot of negativity attached to it for me. Perhaps I misunderstood your meaning.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    well, it beats living close to a mosque.

We live about a half mile from a mosque and see the members all over town in the stores and schools and other places. They are really nice folks, quiet and reserved. After 9/11, they had a huge outpouring of goodwill from the community, and their parking lot was full of flowers and notes all that week. We went by and dropped off a bouquet, and there were men there, accepting the gifts and chatting with everyone.

Someone had defaced their sign so all of us were just letting them know we didn't blame those particular Muslims.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I'm not quite sure what you took negatively. If it was the text that you "bolded", then it was a general comment to anyone and everyone (regardless of beliefs, or lack thereof), rather than anything specifically directed to you.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

If your beliefs don't speak through your life and walk, they are unlikely to make much impact through your words...

I believe this. St. Francis has a good quote that says essentially the same thing.

"Preach the Gospel every day. If necessary, use words."

• Princess
    Princess

It just sounded preachy. I guess for me it would be to live a fit healthy life then? I don't really want people to take one look at me and know my religious beliefs. It's none of their business and I hate the instant judgement. I do realize of course that I make that judgement as well. I wish it weren't that way. ~shrugs~

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Me sound preachy??? That'd be a first!

Given the context of your neighbours, surely you must see that those comments would be more directed at them than you?

As for your self-confessed hypocracy, I have no comment

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Mulan wrote,

We live about a half mile from a mosque and see the members all over town in the stores and schools and other places. They are really nice folks, quiet and reserved. After 9/11, they had a huge outpouring of goodwill from the community, and their parking lot was full of flowers and notes all that week. We went by and dropped off a bouquet, and there were men there, accepting the gifts and chatting with everyone.

The people are very friendly and ok.
    The only problem is all those prayers are many and loud.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit