How many English/Brits on board? America OwnZ!!!!

by d0rkyd00d 13 Replies latest jw friends

• d0rkyd00d
    d0rkyd00d

That will be all. Just wondering, how could anybody NOT want to come to the U.S. Yes, i'm well aware i'm opening a post for flaming, and Flaming is what i need to here! J/k, but seriously, U.S.A. is the best country in the world. One word: Colgate baby!

"No cool quote yet. but i'll think of one soon."

• Prisca
    Prisca

Dorky,

Considering your dad started a similar thread several weeks ago, I'm not surprised to this coming from you. Chip off the old block, eh?

So how many countries have you visited Dorky? Lived in any of them? Studied at length even???

So how do you KNOW that America is so wonderful, then????

Inquiring minds want to know!

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I always say that if I win the lottery, I'd like to move to the US. But I've got a funny feeling that if I told you which state, Dorky old chum, you'd wish to argue that point too. Seems that people who like these sorts of arguments are never satisfied...

Q: How do you know a Dub loyal to "Jehovah's Organisation" is lying?
    A: Their lips are moving.

• Prisca
    Prisca

After some consideration, I realised that Dorky is still pretty young, still in his teens I believe, so it's quite natural for him to be completely ignorant as to how other countries operate.

Ah, the arrogance of youth!!

• Princess
    Princess

Come on Stephanus, which state? PULEESE tell! We won't argue over which of the 50 is the best. Well, I won't anyway.

Princess

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Do you want the short or the long list, Princess?

There's a place or two I'd like to visit, but that doesn't mean I'd like to live there. My dream is to go to 'Vegas to see Rodney Dangerfield's stand-up act, but that's no basis upon which to make a decision to take up permanent residence!

Actually, you've given me an idea for another thread...

Q: How do you know a Dub loyal to "Jehovah's Organisation" is lying?
    A: Their lips are moving.

• d0rkyd00d
    d0rkyd00d

Believe it or not, not all youths are ignorant, but nice stereotype. I know a lot of things about other countries as a matter of fact, and they have a lot of qualities i admire. For instance, i know that in England, there are a LOT fewer guns in circulation. From what i hear, the police don't even use guns. I really admire this, because it's an obvious solution to gun violence, something America has a huge problem with. I just wanted to see how many people on this board are from England/Britian, or any other country for that matter. I love different cultures, their beliefs, and everything about them.

Feel free to post, anybody. And although i am aware my adopted father started a post similar to this a while back (Brits vs Yankees, or something along those lines) I was just wondering maybe what people are particularly proud of about their cultures, and where they are from.

"No cool quote yet. but i'll think of one soon."

• d0rkyd00d
    d0rkyd00d

Revelation had i of just now. There was a post recently regarding how cold the people on this board have recently been. I now feel it. I'm suddenly attacked like i'm Fred Hall ( no offense Fred, *pets* ). And by people who don't even know me! Jesus Christ, Dear lord God almighty, let me never have pride of my country again. Thank you lord.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

"Revelation had i of just now"

Who the fuck resurected Bob Marley??

Are you seriously suggesting that it's other peoples fault you phrased something in a silly way and got toasted for it (not that you really were toasted... cold indeed!!).

Pride in your country is fine. But it should be informed pride. Slagging off (dissing) other countries is fine if you have a basis for your opinion.

But a American raised person who's not been outside his homeland saying "Just wondering, how could anybody NOT want to come to the U.S." and "but seriously, U.S.A. is the best country in the world. One word: Colgate baby!" is silly; you're the one conforming to the stereotypes about Americans!!

When I was on teaching practise in Kansas, I had a student AND a teacher ask me what language was spoken in England.

ENG-land, ENG-lish.

It is good that your own opinion is developing beyond catch-phrases taken from films. As you say, in England, there are very few guns in private ownership, and even the police don't normally carry guns. This is reflected by the fact it's quite unusual to die from gunshot wounds in the UK compared to the USA, per head of population.

In Holland, soft drugs are legal, or at least 'de-criminalised'. This is a major lesson for most Western countires to learn, as it does not lead to junkies all over the place and actually reduces drug problems.

In the supposed 'Land of the Free', not being allowed to put a dried bush into a pipe and set fire to it seems quite strange, as it doesn't harm anyone else.

Also, if you look at the way the American press treat celebrities (get that tongue RIGHT up there) and politicians, it makes the supposed advantage of not having an aristocracy completely disappear, as you just re-make it with a social upper-strata of you own.

In England, the press is, if anything, TOO nasty, but I don't think you're likely to hear an American comedian say "Bush is a *ucking moron", whereas that comment applied to Tony Blair or the Queen would be considered fair comment in England, even on TV. Yet more lack of freedom in the land of the free.

America has an amazing standard of living, if you have a job. If you are unemployed or on minimum wage, it's a really good idea NOT to get sick, as your public heath-care reeks.

Basically, what you have to realise is that just like in Kingdom Halls, where people are taught how wonderful god's kingdom, in America, people are taught how wonderful America is.

You are sold a concept that sometimes falls far short of its ideals in everyday practice, but these shortfalls are glossed over, just like the shortcomings of Watchtower teachings are glossed over.

Because of this, Americans can be intensely and unrealistically patriotic.

Of course, all countries fall victim to this to one extent or the other. Because of its size and importance America can 'get away' with it more, as it is possible just to look inwards, and not have any comparisons. In smaller countries, where you have to look outwards, comparisons are easier. It's not that Europeans are cleverer, it's that they are forced to compare themselves to other countries, and thus have a more realistic perspective of their countries good and bad points.

Personally I love the 'States, for all the points I don't like about it, it is a wonderful country, huge, beautiful, with mostly friendly out-going people, and a good system of representation for people in government. In the USA I think there is one elected official for every 2,000 people. In the UK this is something like one for every 7,000. You've every right to be proud of being three times more democratic, BUT, don't believe the hype. America has problems, and if you take the concept of 'citizenship' seriously, you should be aware of how certain social issues are handled in other countries so you can be a more informed voter when that time comes.

The fact that many American's are not informed voters is demonstrated by the fact people voted a strategically-shaved chimp into the Presidency recently!! This was met with disbelief by many many non-American's.

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

I personally think all countries have good points and bad points. Some of the bad points of course are worse than others. I have been to Europe three times and visited fourteen different countries. I was completely absorbed in the sheer ancientness (new word). Nothing, IMO, can compare to experience, trial and error, and just plain out age.
    I am glad to be born in the realm of life I was born in, because it provides me with freedoms I am well aware that others even in my own country do not share. It all depends on chance. Where you were born, what station in life you were born in, and what you choose to do with it. It sickens me when I see others who basically have no choices or at the least, very few.
    And believe me, I have seen with my own eyes, this exists in every country.
    TW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit