On the Ministry

by Ring Wielder 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Ring Wielder
    Ring Wielder

There were 5 of them, one brother and 4 sisters, at least one of them a pioneer, engaging in the field service opposite where I was cleaning windows the other day.

It was comical but sad to see the lengths they were going to to avoid knocking at the doors of the houses.

There was a row of about 8 houses, all attached, so very little distance between each door. They all stood at one end and talked for a few minutes. Then 2 of them walked (at snails pace) to the other end of the houses and knocked at the door and waited...and talked...and waited...and talked...and waited....

The others meanwhile were at the other end and the brother...who was on his own...did one door before linking up with the girls for another 5 minute chat!

It took at least 10 minutes for them to complete the row...(about 2 people came to the doors) and then they stood talking again, after which the pioneer sister and her partner left the group, I should imagine, to go on 'calls'.

The body language of all of them said...'I do not want to be here'.

No doubt the pioneer would be on the platform (against her will) talking lying about the 'thrilling' experiences she enjoys in the ministry and the joy of the preaching work.... on a - 'if you have the circumstances to pioneer but dont...youre dead meat' item.

It really made me appreciate the fact that I do not have to do that excruciating work again!

• Mary
    Mary

They probably made a mad dash for the nearest coffee shop after the strain of that spiritual workout! Then after a 25 minute break, they can do return visits. One of them will say that they have one at one end of town (knowing full well they won't be home), and then the other person will have one at the other end of town----someone they haven't called on for 6 months and they're just praying that the person won't be home. Depending on traffic, that should bring them pretty close to quittin' time where they can go home and begin studying for the meeting the next day.

Don't you think it would be cool to have Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie do a tape from The Simple Life where they go and live with a Witness family for a week and where they have to go out knocking on doors and PREACH!! Oh my god, what a scream that would be!!

• Grace
    Grace

I've had an overwhelming thought today about the nastiness of shunning: I am thinking of one "sister" who I am surprised that she is being so terribly mean and serious when I see her at the grocery store: could it be that she is mad that I got out? She became baptized as an adult when she and her husband figured the Witnesses were the best way of educating their children about the bible. All four children are grown now and, just maybe, she regrets the whole thing but is in it too deep? How can parents say to their kids, "By the way, we were wrong in how we raised you all these years"?

But this could apply to others, too. When they get ugly upon seeing me, perhaps they are just jeolous? I, too, am thrilled when, on Saturday mornings, I can stay in my jammies until whatever time I wish!

Grace

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit