THE BIBLE ITSELF the rotten foundation of Watchtower theology

by Terry 27 Replies latest jw friends

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    No shit. They have lots of differences, especially orthographic ones, but thanks to modern manuscriptology, we are able to reconstruct the New Testament in works such as Nestle-Aland. Even Jerome complained about scribal errors back in the 4th century so it's no wonder most did a crappy job.

and lo and behold! guess what modern manuscriptology has confirmed?

catholics are right, and everybody else is wrong! whoopie!!

Of course, this only provides problems for sola scipturists, and not those enlightened by Sacred Tradition.
    what an ignorant thing to say.
  • BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Great post and wow, awesome thoughts you guys.

When it comes to the whole All scripture is inspired of God.....

Ok, here's my response to anyone who would throw that at me.

"Yeah, but do you realize that when Paul wrote those words to Timothy, he was NOT referring to the body of work that was going to make up the Greek Scriptures/New Testament?

He was referring to the Hebrew scriptures. He was NOT referring to his own letter to the various congregations. He was NOT referring to the writings of Matt, Mark, Luke and John. He was NOT referring to any of that. The New Testament as a collection did not come until later. After the first century, the Christians pretty much felt they had their collection of writings and if anyone else came around with anything else they did not like, they left it out.

Now, who's to say that all the REAL inspired works (if there were any) weren't left out by people that were too afraid to accept something they were unfamiliar with?

So, I agree with you guys on So many levels. I just think that if a person uses that line, they should be reminded what Paul was referring to in the first place.

peace and blessings

BlackSwan

• Terry
    Terry
    So, I agree with you guys on So many levels. I just think that if a person uses that line, they should be reminded what Paul was referring to in the first place.

It is my view that Paul is the inventor of what became Christianity.

It was Judaism that accepted and rejected Jesus in various ways.

It was fragmented at his destruction.

What Paul did was raise the subject again and make something of it.

He, it is my view, applied a peculiar blend of pagan Platonic thinking blended with failed Rabbinical thinking into a stew that happened to hit the market at just the right time and place.

The Barbarian invasions were happening at this time. The empire was very insecure. The gods, the traditional ones, weren't pulling their weight protecting Romans from the invasion. Citizens were sick of war. Politicians were shifting loyalties and everything was in a state of flux. A new product was needed to provide an anchor for people's hope that would conform to a pre-existing mythos.

Paul grafted Judaism and Neo Platonic philosophy into something that gained credibility eventually when the bugs were worked out.

Constantine was probably pretty bewildered by the lack of cohesion among so-called Christians as his grass roots base. He sought to weld them into something useful. The various conventions and councils served to create an Orthodoxy. From this emerged an institution known as the universal church of christianity or CATHOLIC CHURCH.

The rest, as we say, is history.

NO SCRIPTURE is good for much more than an excuse to parlay an opinion into the arena of debate where authoritarian power brokers enforce a mindset (creed) by force of arms.

T.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Terrence,

You haven't answered my question.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    and lo and behold! guess what modern manuscriptology has confirmed?

catholics are right, and everybody else is wrong! whoopie!!

Geez, Tetra, I would think someone who prides himself on being rational and level-headed would have something more intelligent to say.

• Terry
    Terry
    I would also like to ask, are there any disputed parts/readings in the New Testament manuscripts that involve doctrine? (there's only one I can think of off the top of my head, that is when a scribe changed a part from "the boy's father and mother marvelled," to "Joesph and his mother marvelled."). And thanks to modern manuscriptology, we are able to correct these scribal abbherations.

Is this the question?

I'm finally off work today and can spend more than a few moments on hit and run posting.

T.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake
    It is puzzling to me that anybody familiar with Jehovah's Witnesses could assert they don't base their theology on the Bible.

They do.

Sorry Terry, can't quite let that one pass. They most certainly do not. They are definately in the 'you can use the Bible to support any doctrine you want' class, if that is basing their theology on.... I could pick out some verses in the Bible or any other book to support anything, from flower arranging to terrorist attacks. Whether it is based on that book is a different matter. You could select any book off the shelf and snatch many portions out of context to prove some points. You can't then say their points are based on that book.

Just a wee point but I feel better now.

• Terry
    Terry

THIS IS FROM THE SPLASH PAGE OF THE WATCHTOWER.ORG

(Below notice how much they resort to focus on the Bible as their basis:)

Actually, Jehovah's Witnesses are interested in you and your welfare. They want to be your friends and to tell you more about themselves, their beliefs, their organization, and how they feel about people and the world in which all of us live. To accomplish this, they have prepared this brochure for you.

In most ways Jehovah's Witnesses are like everyone else.

They are dedicated to
    God to do his will

It is of vital importance to them that their beliefs be based on the Bible and not on mere human speculations or religious creeds. They feel as did the apostle Paul when he expressed himself under inspiration: "Let God be found true, though every man be found a liar." ( Romans 3:4 , New World Translation*) When it comes to teachings offered as Biblical truth, the Witnesses strongly endorse the course followed by the Beroeans when they heard the apostle Paul preach: "They received the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so." ( Acts 17:11 ) Jehovah's Witnesses believe that all religious teachings should be subjected to this test of agreement with the inspired Scriptures, whether the teaching is offered by them or by someone else. They invite you—urge you—to do this in your discussions with them.

They believe the
    Bible is God's Word

From this it is apparent that Jehovah's Witnesses believe in the Bible as the Word of God. They consider its 66 books to be inspired and historically accurate. What is commonly called the New Testament they refer to as the Christian Greek Scriptures, and the Old Testament they call the Hebrew Scriptures. They rely on both of these, the Greek and the Hebrew Scriptures, and take them literally except where the expressions or settings obviously indicate that they are figurative or symbolic. They understand that many of the prophecies of the Bible have been fulfilled, others are in the course of fulfillment, and still others await fulfillment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit