Do you often find yourself back at "Square one" in life?

by JH 17 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Some people seem to advance in life and gain more and more as time advances, whether it's money, love or anything, while others, maybe like me, always come back to square one, and everything is to be started all over from scratch once again.

How about you?

• ballistic
    ballistic

err, how do you put your hand up in this forum?

• kls
    kls

I always think of myself as a square peg trying to fit in a round hole.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Square one isn't so bad. Some people are permanently stuck in minus squares. In some ways, i have been trying to get back to square one. Won't bore you w the details.

S

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Yeah, I'm 34, and have come to the somewhat saddening realization lately, that I've had kind of a stupid life so far. lol

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

The point of this seems to be lack of progress...so there comes a time when you have to ask yourself...

"Am I doing the same things and expecting a different result?"

WLG

• luna2
    luna2

hrm...well, there's been movement, but I don't know if you'd call it forward movement. Seems to me it's more sideways. I'm done raising kids, my son moved out for good last year (well, at least he hopes its for good), I'm done with the stupid cult religion that I allowed to dominate my life for 20 years, but I think I'm going to have to soon find another job as my father has decided to sell the business and move to Texas. I guess that's good??? I'm going to be forced out of my rut at any rate. Thing is, I'm not feeling all that adventurous and desirous of starting over again. *sigh*

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Yes, I quite often feel that way. I just have to keep pressing forward to acheive the goals I've set for myself. Giving up on me is not an option as long as I'm alive.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

always look ahead...its the only direction where there are no regrets

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

One of the biggest things I've had to deal with with chronic illness is the feeling that I've slid back behind square one, and I'll never be able to get there again.... I'm grateful its just a feeling.

Back at square one can be at a lot of different levels for a lot of different reasons. Health, job/career, emotional, relationships, friendships, and so on. But when one finds themselves "back there" one actually now has a wealth of information that can be used to move forward again: What worked, what didn't, and what to do different.

Most of the time I am the one that put myself at square one again. Sometimes it was on purpose because the route I was taking wasn't benefitial... i.e. my alcoholism was taking me the wrong direction in life, even though I was a fully functional and successful person while my alcohol was developing, right up until the end of it when I HAD to do something about it.

Moving to a new city will put a person at square one when it comes to employment, knowledge of the area, and friendships/relationships.

For me throughout my life and career, I just went with the flow of things. I seemed to end up having made mostly good decisions along the way. Relationships on the otherhand .... Well that part of me was busted for a long time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit