Where did oil come from?

by IP_SEC 11 Replies latest social current

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I guess there are two theories eh? One that it came from dead dinos and decaying ancient plant material and the other that it is a normal geological process.

Has anyone ever done any research on this?

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

According to the Daily Show, you kill two lizards, bury them in your yard, wait 300 million years, and then tap the oil well.

• hubert
    hubert

Walmart, sears, auto parts stores.

Hubert

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

ahh ok I see how it is, this is what I get for making wise cracks on other ppls threads...

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

IP_Sec,

Hast thou not learned? For the Wikipedia knows all: it is to knowledge what Google is to searching. Seek and thou shalt find.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I don't think there were enough dinosaurs and other creatures to make the amounts of oil we have.

My personal theory - no proof just a hunch I had in one of my dreams, is that it formed from the vast quantities of organic compounds and amino acids that rained down on the planet at some point in its prehistory. Since the early sun was cooler than now most of these may not have been destroyed, but frozen.

They were of course originally formed as the void congealed and clotted to form timespace as Hamstergod trod the wheel of emptiness.

HB

(of the long toothed prophets class)

• hubert
    hubert

Sorry, IP, just couldn't resist .

Hubert

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

I shouldest mentioned IP_Sec. If Wikipedia containeth not the amount of knowlege to satisfyeth thine curiosities, then thou canst use Google to searcheth more. To wit, "oil + biogenic," then thou shalt find all that shall wet thine appetite.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

decayed vegetation and other organic material - oil has a very high % carbon as has coal - gas has more hydrogen generally - the lower the sulfur content the sweeter the crude and generally commands a better price

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

"First the earth cooled, and then the dinosaurs came! But they got too big and fat, and they all died. Then the Arabs came and bought Mercedes Benzes...."

Wow. Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

--Sara, of the "random classic movie line reciting" class.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit