9/11 tapes - horror revisited

by Shakita 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Shakita
    Shakita

As they release the 9/11 tapes for all of us to renew the horror of that day again, I feel my anxiety level raise almost as much as it did that very day.

I watched the face of the man I worked for stare in disbelief as he came rushing into the room to watch in absolute horror as the Trade Centers fell one after the other killing his close friend inside. As he collapsed on the couch, I knew I would never forget the look on his face for the rest of my life. Such complete disbelief and sadness.

My husband's niece was coming up from the subway on her way to work that morning when she noticed the commotion ahead of her. She worked directly across from the Trade Center. She followed the stares of the people around her, looking up across the street to the top of the Towers. She saw what no one should ever have to see, people jumping from windows to their deaths on the pavement below.

I have changed jobs over the past few years. I now work for a medical practice here in New Jersey. One of the doctor's here lost a very close friend in the towers that day. His widow comes in to the office regularly with her two young sons. I overheard the doctor say to the young son just yesterday, "I knew your Daddy very well. We were very close friends. I miss him very much. Yes, I do."

Let us never forget how we felt that day, where we were, what we were doing, when we knew that our world would never be the same again. Even if our lives were not personally touched by 9/11, let us not forget the widows, fatherless children, etc. who still are with us. They will never forget, nor should we.

Mrs. Shakita

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I know I won't forget.

I was on my honeymoon. We sat and stared at the TV in disbelief.

For me it is the same king of memory as when the Kennedy's were killed. Utter disbelief.

Funny thing I have noticed since the London attacks. Here I am in Ottawa, the capital of Canada. Every so often during the evening I hear low flying planes or helicopters, sometimes both, that seem to be patrolling the city.

eerie

• IronGland
    IronGland
    Let us never forget how we felt that day, where we were, what we were doing, when we knew that our world would never be the same again.

How could I? No, with the web awash in tributes, Every other word from the Presidents mouth 'terrist' and 'evildoers' and the fact that in 30 days every news channel will spend their entire broadcast day replaying those events I couldn't forget if I wanted to.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I felt some of the same feelings with the death of Peter Jennings: speachless and horror-struck. On 9/11 I couldnt turn off the TV for 4 days, and I kept it on ABC only occasionally flipping to NBC and CBS.

The Oak City bombing - I had been in the building 1 year before - to the day!

The explosions of the Columbia and the Shuttle in 1986.

I've grown numb to the bombings and deaths in Iraq. And the crap going on in Israel is just that - self-perpetuated crap.

Edited to add: I'm sorry, I overlooked the bombings in London.

• IronGland
    IronGland
    I felt some of the same feelings with the death of Peter Jennings: speachless and horror-struck.

Why?

• IronGland
    IronGland
    think the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki should be remembered more then anything. More innocent men and women and children were murdered then by the USA then any other time...

No they weren't. More were killed in the firebombing raids over Tokyo and Dresden.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

As long as you are remembering the horror of 9/11 perhaps you should remember the horror of the almost 1900 soldiers dead in Iraq and the 20,000 (or more by some estimates) of Iraqis killed by GW blood lust shall we please?

• Mary
    Mary

One of my coworkers came to me and told me when the first plane hit the WTC.....for some reason, I had it in my mind that it was just a single engined plane which hit the tower maybe due to fog and I went back to what I was doing......15 minutes later she came and told me that another plane had hit the other Tower........we just kind of looked at each other for a minute and then I said "....let's get the keys to the Council Chamber" which had 3 movie-sized screens in a room that looked like a miniture version of the United Nations. We simply sat there for the next 2 hours in stunned disbelief as more employees heard about what was happening and they all filtered in to watch. When the first tower fell, several of us (yes I include myself) all started to cry. I felt like I was watching a scene from Independence Day and I thought "...Holy shit, this can't be happening!"

I think 9-11 will be like November 22, 1963.......everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing when they heard this horrific news. I know of at least 2 Firemen from Oakville, Ontario who immediately travelled to New York to help out.......Yes, it was a day that will live in infamy.....

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Pity and terror are what Aristotle described as true tragedy.

Let us remember the small french village invaded by the nazis, where families were locked inside the church, then grenades thrown inside.

Let us remember those tortured and beheaded by the Japanese.

Let us remember the millions gassed by Germany, the thousands bombed and massacred.

Let us remember the hundreds of thousands murdered by Saddam.

Let us remember the thousands killed by American soldiers.

Let us remember the thousands of Americans killed.

let us remember the children dying in America from guns.

There is no black or white here. Just a human race that needs to stop blaming and retaliating and labeling.

Loving and forgiving is the only way to save ourselves.

That ain't easy.

HB

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    I think the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki should be remembered more then anything. More innocent men and women and children were murdered then by the USA then any other time...

It is estimated that a couple of million Japanese lives, men, women and children were saved because the War that the Japanese STARTED ended so suddenly. Had the U.S. military landed on Japanese soil while the war was still raging, not only would there be the most numerous U.S. losses in the war, but the Japanese losses would have been catastrophic. Most of the citizenry were preparing to defend their island nation to the death, as many did on Okinawa and Iwo Jima. As tragic as it was, millions of Japanese, and their children and grandchildren decendants are alive today because of the sudden end of the war.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit