Joy Division/New Order

The Specials

U2

Aztec Camera

Haircut 100

and many, many more....

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Lots of bands.... mainly from the indie/alternative genre...... and britpop.

• Jordan
    Jordan

I remember an elder singing "Babylon" by David Gray, that kinda shocked me at the time.

I was a late starter with music, primarily because of it being "EVIL". But I more than made up for it when my friend copied Blink 182s Enema of the State for me, from there on out I've been addicted to music and gigging, it's kinda like a drug for me, and it's why I stick around at my shit job.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I was too much of a good kid sometimes I think, I too missed out on a lot of music of my peers. Music means so much to me now in my life I cant imagine how I managed without it. I remember my friend listening to Smashing Pumpkins and being somewhat disapproving of him but of course I would never dream to tell.

I listened to some sappy boyband crap because it was completely innocent. My mom tried to be trendy and learn the singers names, something I never really cared about especially. The one mix CD I had which featured eminem and puff daddy to name a few (albeit edited song versions) I said I won in a contest and told her I only listened to a couple of the songs (ricky martin etc) on it.

After I left she said to me that she doesnt even know what I listen to anymore and I named some fairly approved bands such as Linkin Park that have no real objectionable qualities to them and dont sound as "hardcore" that sends up an instant JW flag. I generally avoid making any mention of Cradle of Filth, Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, Bad Religion, etc

I think the most "transgressive" songs I had from growing up was Pretty Fly for a White Guy by Offspring and Strange Disease by Prozzak.

• ballistic
    ballistic

My parents didn't interfere with my musical tastes amazingly. A bro once told me I shouldn't have a compilation album which had George Michael's "I want your sex" on it. In fact they seem very easy going on pop music over here - although I saw an elders son rush up to the DJ at a wedding and stopped him playing "Spirit in the Sky".

I now have aprox 1300 albums including what's on my PC.

• Caedes
    Caedes

Not wanting to give away too much much about my age but,

the Buzzcocks and My bloody valentine were the ones I got into trouble for. Julian Cope and Billy Bragg bring back a lot of memories of being at home as well.

I see I wasn't the only one to listen to alternative music as a way of avoiding snooping parents from editing my music collection.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Everything nilfun said!!!

• Soledad
    Soledad

I will always associate Bon Jovi with the year prior to my baptism. They were everywhere and my mother was determined to destroy any liking I took to their music. I bought their Slippery When Wet album with my own money at Caldor (7.99 can you imagine!). She insisted on listening to the tape before I could. She hated it but let me keep it. She gave me a complete run down of all the lyrics and words she found disapproving. Like I cared.

One Sunday morning I was sitting on the living room couch and the top 10 videos came on channel 9 and they started playing Wanted Dead or Alive. I was supposed to be underlining the stupid Watchtower. Of course I started watching the video instead. My mom very quickly came over and snapped the tv off. That scene repeated itself many times over the years----while I was on the phone, when I was watching a ball game, anywhere, anytime. My mom along with the WTS made my teenage years unbearable. I hated being her kid everyday of my teenage life.

20 years later I'm still listening to Bon Jovi and I make sure my mother knows it! They've outlasted my pathetic dedication and baptism, ha!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Any music you hear that still conjures up images of your teen years?

Yeah. Duran Duran, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Rock Me Amadeus, Sledgehammer, Kajagoogoo, Billie Jean, I Want Candy, Lucky Star, Simple Minds, Life in a Northern Town, DeBarge, Jungle Love, Footloose, the Jets, Old Man Down the Road, Easy Lover, Police, Jump, West End Girls, Relax, Boys of Summer, Love and Rockets, Another One Bits the Dust, Rock the Casbah, Hall & Oates, Planet Claire, Rock Lobster, Shock the Monkey, Freeze Frame, Take These Broken Wings, Tarzan Boy, These Dreams, Big Audio Dynamite, Papa Don't Preach, Cruel Summer, Flesh for Fantasy, Girl in Trouble is a Temporary Thing, Africa, Eat It, I'm Wearing My Sunglasses at Night, Here Comes the Rain Again, Round and Round, Boy in the Bubble, Fast Car, Human League, Invisible Touch, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit