Born Into Brothels

by chrissy 11 Replies latest social entertainment

• chrissy
    chrissy

Has anyone seen this award winning documentary? http://kids-with-cameras.org/bornintobrothels/film.php

It was in theaters months ago and will not be released to DVD for another month or so. I am anxious to check it out. The way I understand it, it's about a group of kids in Calcutta, India and their daily exposure to the sex trade industry. Only, done in a non-exploitative nature. The kids involved receive the film's profits and with that, proper education.

I see they are showing it on Cinemax next Tuesday, only, shoot, I do not subscribe.

If anyone gets Cinemax and wants to participate in a little experiment, one in which you would watch it next Tuesday August 16th, 2005 at 7 p.m. and report back...let me know. ;)

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    Only, done in a non-exploitative nature.

you had me til there.

and their daily exposure to the sex trade industry.

its called public school and fashion, silly.

• chrissy
    chrissy

I'm sorry Richie, I'm afraid I dont understand...sorry, I'm a little slow I guess.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

no explotation = no sex= waste of time.

"sex industry" = public school and fashion. The average high school male could make a gynecologist turn his head in disgust.

I'm sorry if I'm moving too fast. Fat people do that a lot.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Yeah I guess I don't get it either Richie.

I didn't get a chance to see it in theaters - but it will be one I rent for sure, read a little bit about it and the director.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Richie is being sarcastic - commenting on schools in America, rather than india.

I just thought I'd mention that I was conceived in a brothel in Spain. But that was the end of my association with the sex industry or awareness of it for many years.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

By coincidence I just ordered it from Netflix the other day. It should be arriving in the mail today.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ
    I just thought I'd mention that I was conceived in a brothel in Spain

Blimey.

I have heard about this documentary. Bit of a moral dilema isnt it?

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

er Paul - they didn't ask me to be in the documentary ... but I guess I don't remember an awful lot of my conception.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

It's an excellent movie. It's not so much about the sex industry, as about the lifestyle of the children and the expansion of their horizons as they are taught photography.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit