Future of the Preaching Work?

by NeonMadman 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I wrote the following comments in a response to joelbear's thread on the 4 steps to the new system. But they were sort of off topic there, and I thought they might be of interest as a separate thread. So here goes: At one time, door to door work was highly effective. In the early days of the WTS, all sorts of business was done through door to door sales. Even when I was a kid, we had milkmen, bread men, ice men (to bring ice for the pre-refrigerator ice box) and numerous others coming to the house on a regular basis. In the 1940's and 1950's, the Fuller Brush Man was an icon of American consumerism, and a really good job to have - a Fuller Brush Man who worked at it and knew what he was doing might well earn three times what a factory worker made.

Alas, the world has changed. Crime has become more widespread and its nature more hideous. We are now suspicious and afraid of strangers who knock on our doors. Moreover, we have become more assertive of privacy rights. When I was young, I thought nothing of dropping in on my friends uninvited, and they felt the same way about me. Now, I would rarely if ever go to someone else's house without an appointment. People are also much busier now, they are home a lot less and far less inclined to be hospitable to an uninvited stranger when they are home.

Because of all these factors, businesses have gotten away from door to door sales. Now, instead of a barrage of several strangers knocking at the door each day (as I recall when I was a child), the only ones left making unsolicited calls at private homes are religious proselytizers - and they are generally unwelcome. Therefore, what once may have been an effective method of getting the message out has become a parody, fodder for comedians. Yet, rather than recognize the changes in society and change their methods in order to meet the new market conditions, as any good businessman would do, the WTS continues to plod along using the same old methods that don't work anymore. Why?

I guess the main reason is that, no matter how ineffective the work is, it costs them nothing. All expense is borne by the "publishers". To switch to any other more effective method (radio and TV spring right to mind) would cost the WTS its own money. What difference does it make if it takes 8000 hours of "field service" to produce one baptism, when they are paying nothing for the hours and likely receiving donations along the way?

But now they have a problem, in that service is also waning. Publishers are less enthusiastic about going out, and less concerned with being effective when they do. Many, many hours are recorded in donut shops. The object has become to maximize time counted with the least possible effort. I even see a JW bot now in Yahoo chat rooms - a bot is a fake screen name that delivers an automated message. This particular bot usually has a name like "Vital Info" and posts a message that says "Vital info - something everyone should know about - check my profile." When you go to the profile, there are links to articles on the WTS website. The bot goes from chat room to chat room delivering its automated message, and I have no doubt that whoever is running this bot is sitting there counting the hours as it runs.

Anyway, I suspect that the long term future will see a change of some sort, though I don't know what it might be. Perhaps the WTS will produce radio or TV shows and ask local congregations to sponsor them. The key will certainly be to find some form of spreading the message that costs the organization little or nothing to distribute widely.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Anyway, I suspect that the long term future will see a change of some sort, though I don't know what it might be. Perhaps the WTS will produce radio or TV shows and ask local congregations to sponsor them. The key will certainly be to find some form of spreading the message that costs the organization little or nothing to distribute widely.

The internet is the answer to all the WatchTower Society's preaching woes.

Cheap and effective. And they can ask for donations right on the website.

Just think of the many millions of people they can impact with the Paradise earth message!

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

And yet they avoid it like the plague, because the Internet has a really big downside for them. The free flow of information has never been a positive factor for the WTS.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

You're onto several likely conclusions, Neon! Nice work. I totally agree. "FREE" has always been the main mantra of concern by the GB at the the WTBS. In time, it will be interesting to see if they can keep up the stringent requirements for all types of pioneers and publishers while attendance and service is dwindling.

At some point, people have to start questioning things. Humans will eventually take the path of least resistance, and for a pioneer, that usually means joining someone else's calls, doing someone else's return visits, or conducting someone else's studies.

I'll bet that it is a real cat and dog fight nowadays between pioneers and publishers to see who gets stuck with cold unworked territory cards. I am sure many a weekend morning is spent inside Dunkin Donuts and other food places just to run the clock down to noon.

• sir82
    sir82

They used to pride themselves on using the absolute latest in technology.

"The Photodrama of Creation" was among the first attempts ever to coordinate sound and moving pictures.

When radio was in its infancy, not only did the JWs broadcast, but they linked radio stations to get the message out even further.

They had portable phonographs to play the records of Rutherford's speeches...if I recall correctly, they got a patent for developing one of the first portable phonograph players.

Now, they are an anachronism, as they staunchly refuse to update their methods and rely on door-to-door, when they know beyond doubt that this is easily the least efficient manner to distribute the message.

• joelbear
    joelbear

I can assure you the boys in Brooklyn have done a cost benefit analysis and know to the penny how much they generate per publisher. Remember the publisher pays for all the literature whether he gets donations from householders or not.

Most recruits never occurred from door to door work. That has always been a sales business. Recruits are gotten from informal sources, family, workmates, etc.

• sir82
    sir82

Joelbear,

You are correct--I meant "least efficient" from the perspective of actually gaining new members, vs. effort expended.

But of course so long as it is just the "rank & file" effort being expended, who cares?

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

There is no doubt in mu mind that "field service" is quickly denegrating into a complete ritual.

The WTS has been encouraging other forms of service such as telephone or letter writing, but always as an aside to the core "door-to-door".

So this leaves the R&F ever more comfortable with the feeling that their service is less about converts and more about proof that their works are a sign of faith.

This will make field service even more ineffective. Anyone who wants to debate or has a strong opinion is already written off as "not interested".

"Ignor. Next door" will be the new MO.

• M.J.
    M.J.
    So this leaves the R&F ever more comfortable with the feeling that their service is less about converts and more about proof that their works are a sign of faith.

well said, Zeke. That's exactly it. It's what they do. It's what they say the Bible says they're supposed to do. It makes them unique (in their minds). Whether or not it's effective is of secondary importance.

I think that the org also sees it as a good way to keep them occupied as a group and keep the indoctrination fresh.

But yet as NM says, as its futility becomes more apparent, people will lose enthusiasm and become disillusioned.

• Justin
    Justin

If they wanted to, they could have had a TV program for the last half of the twentieth century. But, they don't want anything that will take the responsibility off the shoulders of the individual JW. By forcing the people to spend their time engaging in a humiliating, time-consuming work that is no pleasure for the majority, they exercise control over them. That is the name of the game: control. They are not going to give this up for a more efficient, high-tech way of proclaiming the message.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit