Jehovah's and materialism

by AJNG99 9 Replies latest jw friends

• AJNG99
    AJNG99

Hey guys! How are you all? I have a question about that, what are their views on it? I always thought they weren't into nice cars and nice homes, and the finer things in life. However, I came across a few who I would never expect to drive this beautiful expensive cars. I guess I was just shocked, maybe they worked really hard and have the money???

• georgefoster
    georgefoster

I've found the jws to be no different than the general population when it comes to materialism. My jw wife is very materialistic I believe due to her poor childhood. The congregations in our city are each different based on the part of town - the wealthier jws have the nice stuff. I've handled bankruptcies for several jws - financially irresponsible the same as anybody.

• M.J.
    M.J.

I hear ya, GF. I new a JW girl whose dad was a busdriver & mom was a babysitter. They consistantly lived beyond their means--always in debt. The most materialistic people with no money I ever knew! But this is simply human nature. The JWs ought not boast that they are better than others in this regard. The only difference is that they are socially pressured into always putting on a righteous display.

• luna2
    luna2

I've known quite a few JW's who were very materialistic. Like georgefoster said, they are no different than the rest of the world in this regard, except for the rhetoric...and the number of dubs who have been pressured to work menial jobs that barely meet their needs. Doesn't mean that some of them aren't always on the lookout for some scheme or other that would allow them to make money for doing nothing so they could "pioneer". Uh huh.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Unlike most Christian religions who teach (as does the Bible) that 'salvation' is spiritual state, the JWs try to sell a materialistic reward:

A paradise earth, good homes, plenty of good food to eat etc etc. None of this spiritual materialism is Bible-based.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I have met several who I thought were very materialistic. More materialistic than many people in the "world". I mentioned this to a sister about a particular brother who was super-materialistic. She said: "that doesn't mean he won't make it", meaning that he was a very faithful person, etc. It is not as though I would begrudge him or anybody else for "making it" it is just that it was so obvious with him. He also had an affinity for seeking out those friends who were wealthy so I do believe he was dazzled by their money.

I have nothing against anybody who has money or who is extravagant. In fact, I don't care if they live like Liberace. More power to them! Wear those diamonds with pride!

What I do hate are dubs who pretend to be poor because they feel they can get more sympathy and attention from everybody.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Good points LHG,

"that doesn't mean he won't make it"

The point I make is that even for those JWs who are not materialistic in this present 'system of things' are materialistic about what they look forward to in the so called paradise earth. "Making it" is in their minds something very different to the gospel version of salvation. The JW paradise earth of the JWs is a worldly place. What they teach faithful JWs to look forward to are very materialistic things. This misses the whole point of the gospel.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Unlike most Christian religions who teach (as does the Bible) that 'salvation' is spiritual state, the JWs try to sell a materialistic reward:

A paradise earth, good homes, plenty of good food to eat etc etc. None of this spiritual materialism is Bible-based.
    You said it all. The whole WTBTS doctrine is based on materialistic cravings.

• rebel8
    rebel8

It is true, they are strongly discouraged from owning nonessential items and are looked down upon for doing so.

http://quotes.watchtower.ca/education.htm (see how many times "materialism" is mentioned in those articles)

More links at my site .

• Agnes
    Agnes

Some of the Jehovah Witnesses I know are very materialistic and will display their latest aquisition by their garage doors for several days, so everyone can see what they just bought..seriously! Agnes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit