SEATTLE PEOPLE! Where's the best place to watch the Blue Angels?

by seattleniceguy 14 Replies latest jw friends

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hello fellow Seattlites?

My girlfriend and I want to go watch the Blue Angels today, but I don't want to get into the Seafair festival. I just want to watch from some park somewhere for an hour or two. Where would you recommend watching from? I was thinking along Leschi Beach or something....ideas?

SNG

• under74
    under74

You could go over to a beach on Mercer Island (if you can stand the up turned noses) OR anywhere by Madison Park is usually good.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Leschi is likely to be insane! Actually, most beaches will be. Maybe on the Bellevue side out at the park I can't remember the name but it's on the point of the bay a little S of 520 and a little N of 90. (Mercer bay?)

Good luck, have fun, wear a hat and sunscreen, and lots of water!

PS The best is to be on a boat on the front line of the races(still have the races?)

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Yes, Madison Park is good. Expect BAAAAAD traffic.

• under74
    under74

OH, just thought of this...Genesee Park is probably the best place to view them...might be kinda crowded though.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Thanks, guys! I'll let you know how it goes!

SNG

• chrissy
    chrissy

R. watched them practice yesterday over lake Washington and said it was the best performance of theirs that he has seen to date because of the natural setting...flying right over the lake and bridge as oppose to watching them at airport/airshows. However, yeah, the traffic down there is a nightmare...I'm sure.

I hope it all works out for ya...I suppose you are long gone by now anyway.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Just got back! It was a pretty cool experience. We got to Madison Park at around 10:20 and had our pick of the place. It started to fill up around 11:30 or so, and the show started at 12:00. However, there is a reason that so few people showed up. A large condo to the south of the park partially blocked the view. Still it was a good time. Those guys really do fly low, don't they!

Afterward we went up to Captiol Hill to have lunch at Olympia Pizza (best salads in Seattle!). I was a little nervous to go there, to be honest, because it is a popular Witness hangout. And sure enough, about 15 minutes before we left, the former PO of my cong and his wife came in with a couple kids in tow. The PO seemed to deliberately avoid I contact with me, but as his wife walked by (she hadn't yet noticed me), I did a little two-finger wave and said, "Hey" quietly. I only meant to say hello, but when she saw me, she recognized me as someone she knew and started to say "Hello!" before realizing who I was and catching herself with an "Oh!" My girlfriend thought her reaction was quite amusing.

Anyway, I was glad to have played it cool through another such experience, and it was a good afternoon.

Reporting live from Seattle,

SNG

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Hey, Glad you had a good time even with the condo in the way. Yes, they do fly LOW! I was amazed one year when one jet seemed to be just 30 feet above us (on a boat) doing a roll. Wild! And Loud!

I'm not in Seattle any more. Times I do miss that city. In Portland, just down I-5 from ya.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

*stupid question* What's the name of that park near Fisherman's Wharf downtown? It was like right on the water, but relatively small.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit