Stop Making Sense

by AhHah 18 Replies latest jw friends

• waiting
    waiting

Red, you fool,

I already did plagiarize (yes, that is the correct spelling) that poem, quite efficiently too, I might add.

What? You want me to post it again so you can humiliate me again amongst all these poets? I think not, Red. Perhaps "they" call you a Red Herring behind your back for a reason???? I think you may still be jealous of me........

waiting

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

waiting, of COURSE I'm jealous of you. Who wouldn't be? You're young (as compared to me), you're beautiful (you must be....all Southern women are beautiful), you're witty....and, most important of all, you'll kick my butt if I don't suck up now and then.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Now, now, girls...

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• waiting
    waiting

RED!!!!!! I TOLD YOU SO - NOW FRENCHY THE POET IS HERE!!!!!!

Hey Frenchy! Just ignore Red. She's just butt sore from riding her horses.

How are you? I have never understood poets or poetry. Such oddities. Romantic about everything. And so much work - accomplished well, btw.

Why do you do it? Particularily since I would think that most people are like me - appreciate the effort put forth - just takes too much effort to figure it out.

Is it because y'all are just friggin' Romantics?

Down to Dumb Dirt Waiting

• AhHah
    AhHah

waiting:

I know your question wasn't directed to me, but I would like to respond to it (and I look forward to Frenchy's response).

I have always found that writing poetry seems to be the purest way to express whatever it is that I am feeling.

Perhaps a poem is to a writer what a color palette and canvas is to a painter. A painter often sketches an idea in pencil before painting it, to rough in the content and perspective. Yet, no one would question the reason for painting it with color on canvas. There is where the sketch comes to life and becomes capable of emotionally moving the viewer, sometimes quite profoundly! Interestingly, the same painting (or poem) will often provoke different references and feelings in different viewers (or readers), becoming an interesting catalyst that takes on a life of its own, independent of the artist and whatever he/she was feeling at the time. Those works (which may include poetry and any other art) that do not fail to elicit some response in the viewer often become regarded as masterpieces. Most cultures and societies treasure those works of art that are seeded in their midst, and generally regard them with the highest esteem along side of any other worthily regarded accomplishments (artistic or not) that they may produce.

For me, poetry seems to allow a certain freedom and an ability to explore and voice thoughts and feelings that might otherwise not be as easily or naturally expressed. I often find that I come to really know my innermost feelings about whatever it is that I am writing, as a direct result of my efforts to give it voice in the poem. In this way, the writing process is cathartic in that it fills a very basic need that I have to know and express myself about something for which I care about.

If, as a result of my efforts, I create something that provokes in the reader genuine thought or emotion about the subject that is appreciated -- then there is also a wonderful feeling of creative accomplishment and validation, in addition to the personal catharsis. I believe that all individuals are seeking validation, albeit in different ways. For the artistic or creative person, that validation is also sought through the art.

Although, as this response shows, I also enjoy all forms of writing, including essays, poetry seems to best connect me to what I FEEL about something, as opposed to to just what I reason on the subject. For that reason, I believe poetry often captures the ability to emotionally move the reader in a way that other writing forms do not.

I guess, from your question, as well as what I have observed in others, I would conclude that many persons don't get the point of poetry. Since writing and reading poetry is so much a part of me, I find that difficult to relate to. I imagine that those individuals relate to life and their feelings in a different way. I also wonder if those individuals, have just not allowed themselves to relate in that way. Perhaps negative (or lack of) experience makes them uncomfortable with such direct confrontation with feelings and subconciously causes them to withdraw emotionally. Perhaps you or someone might care to comment on this.

I welcome any agreement or disagreement on this response. I enjoyed writing it -- hopefully you enjoyed reading it!

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I enjoyed your comments and your poem. I'm no poet myself, but then again I've never really tried to be either.

I appreciate your few comments so far, as well as those of Frency. There is a certain feeling conveyed in Frency's posts simply by the words he chooses and how he strings them together. You both seem quite similar, and i find myself identifying with what you wrote as well.

While i enjoy being around intelligent people, I find relating to people on an emotional level more facinating. The emotion and feeling and the reasons why we do what we do, and what makes us human, i find so interesting.

To me the greatest art, whether its music, poetry, or some sort of painting/drawing/picture is that which conveys emotion and feeling to another person. If something can completely change how i'm feeling in the moment, or remind me of an instant in time when i felt as the artist, then I think its a great work of art.

Path

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Waiting! Comment ca va, ma cherie? You ask a question (Why do you do it?) that is easily answered: Because I have to. It’s an outlet, a vent. I feel at times that I would simply burst if I did not do it. I also love to play a guitar and sing. (Be glad that you don’t have to endure that!)

I would think that most people are like me - appreciate the effort put forth - just takes too much effort to figure it out.

Most people prefer prose over poetry because the latter does require more effort in most cases. The poet endeavors (sometimes successfully, sometimes not) to evoke emotions in the reader. His/her objective is not to impart information or to give directions or to establish a new philosophy. He/she operates at the gut level. Emotions. Sometimes a story has to be told to achieve this, sometimes a lesson is woven into the poem, but these are only there to evoke the emotions. More often than not, a poem must be read several times before it can be appreciated, assuming that it’s any good. In poetry we look for metaphors and repetition of theme more so than we do in prose. A poet can say the same thing ten times without ever saying it outright. To me this is what makes poetry intriguing, its subtlety. I like the poem that AhHah posted here because I believe that he does this effectively. He (she?) establishes at the very beginning that what follows is an effort to make sense of what? We (those of us on this forum) know very well what the poet is talking about here and so no further explanation is needed. Once that is realized then we can so easily relate to the imagery that follows.

Our boat seemed small in sight of that ship,
    We weren't yet clear how to chart our own trip.
    The Captain had chained the rest of the crew
    For fear that they might abandon ship, too.
    They mocked us and stared out from sad, sunken eyes.
    "Can't you see we are free?" they said, as they prayed to die.
    "We are safe!" they cried, as their mast started to crack.
    "If the sea should claim us, we shall all come back."

Who of us has not experienced this? Think about the picture that this is painting, the desperation of the crew! Their fears are their shackles, and fearful as they are, the captain is even more so.
    AhHa said: “I believe poetry often captures the ability to emotionally move the reader in a way that other writing forms do not.” I agree completely with that. As a result it takes a lot more work on the part of both the poet and his readers for that to be accomplished.
    I have to disagree with your last statement: Your writing is very witty. You are able to convey your thoughts with a minimum of words and everyone here enjoys reading your posts. Simplicity of style is your strong suit as well as your humor.

• AhHah
    AhHah

Frenchy,

I enjoyed your comments and I appreciate the critique of Stop Making Sense. I would like to find any poems that you have posted.

"No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." -- Jim Morrison

Edited by - AhHah on 24 September 2000 3:6:12

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

AhHa,
    For more of my stuff go to the literature forum and click the drop box at the top right hand corner of your screen that says "show topics from.." and select 'last year' and you will get a listing of all the threads posted there. Just look for the ones with my name on them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit