Comments You Will Not Hear at the 8-7-05 WT Study (Good News)

by blondie 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Rex
    Rex

Hi Blondie,

Thanks for the detailed and thorough manner that you handle the new JW material, oops, trash! LOL

Rex

• jgnat
    jgnat

The constant, grinding message on the terrible state of the world is one of my major pet peeves about the Witnesses. Evangelicals are guilty of this too. It is as if they think they can hurry along Armageddon by eagerly seeking out evidence that the world is worse. I think it has a detrimental effect on the JW's psyche. I see little energy or motivation to improve their lives. After all, they can wait for Paradise.

I just don't see Jesus talking that way. He came, loved, talked, healed, encouraged. This is the walk I wish to follow. I've posted good news stories here before, so I went digging for a few.

I refuted, point by point, the WT's "six convincing lines of evidence" that they were right:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/47398/1.ashx

My response to "Do you long for a world without fear?":

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/83184/1.ashx

And my response to "Our Watchfulness takes on Greater Urgency?":

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/65453/1012661/post.ashx#1012661

• jgnat
    jgnat

P.S. Blondie provides an invaluable service. Some of us rub shoulders with JW's daily. We need an antidote, and what better way than a critical review of the weekly materials? It also give us an idea what our JW family will be talking about for the next week.

I am willing to bet that not only exiting JW's but a fair number of spouses of JW's and JW teenagers learning to think on tehir own take a peek at Blondie's reviews. Hers are the first steps towards critical thinking.

Yaaay for Blondie!

• kazar
    kazar

My hat's off to you again, Blondie. Thank you for the post. It is extremely informative to me. I need information such as this to prevent my mind from becoming confused and wanting to go back to the Witnesses. I have to keep the information that I am finding out now on this forum close to me to stop myself from doing something as stupid as that. By the way, what is this about the WBTS now publishing its materials as Jehovah's Witnesses instead of Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, if I understand you correctly. How long ago did this happen?

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks everyone, I'll be back with some acknowledgments but to answer kazar

The WT CD shows that the WTS started the practice of saying "published by Jehovah's Witnesses" where footnoting references to WT publications in 2001.

w01 4/15 The Church Fathers—Advocates of Bible Truth? ***

[Footnotes]

An in-depth discussion of the Trinity doctrine can be found in the brochure Should You Believe in the Trinity?, published by Jehovah’s Witnesses.

For a detailed discussion of the Bible’s teaching on the soul, see pages 98-104 and 375-80 of Reasoning From the Scriptures, published by Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Last mention of published by the WTS.

w01 2/15 p. 9 Searching for Deserving Ones in Kenya ***

Published by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc.

(there were 2 exceptions in 2002 in some WT books but the overall change started in March 2001)

• kazar
    kazar

Much obliged, Blondie.

Kazar

• Gopher
    Gopher

Thanks for posting these, Blondie.

The Watchtower Society is to religion what the "Music Man" was to classical music. The similarities include (1) Scare tactics (oooooh... the world is so bad, getting worse), and (2) false promises (we have something better news than anyone else in the whooooole wide world!).

Secondly, how can they prove that EVERY Christian is supposed to be a preacher, teacher and evangelizer? They can try to use Matthew 24:14 and Matthew 28:19, but an impartial reading shows that those are prophecies that would apply to a group rather than commands that would apply to individuals. Didn't the apostle Paul write that among Christians there would be "SOME who are teachers, SOME who are evangelizers," etc.?

The reason the Watchtower Society has articles like this is to try to make every JW think they'll be bloodguilty if they don't offer Watchtower literature at every opportunity. What a marketing scam!

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Hi Blondie,

This is only the second week I've read your "Comments"..... but I'm thoroughly impressed !! Your post had me laughing, and shaking my head in disgust... So many of your conclusions are the same types of things that would go through my head every time I was at a meeting or read any JW literature.... YUCK!!! I haven't read a WT in a year, I had forgotton how horrible they make me feel..... It's like nails on a chalkboard...

Thanks again! I'm a fan!!

GGG

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Wow, good find on that unreferenced quote!

We begin to feel frightened, and it really isn't as bad as they make it out to be...It's too much violence...It's nice to hear something good, like an achievement. Or, because they've always done these stories on the bad part of welfare, report stories on people who've pulled themselves up out of it...Most of it is accidents or homicides...Have some stuff that isn't all crime related...After you get done watching news, you're thoroughly depressed...You almost don't wanna turn the news on, because it's all negative...If all we see is negative, it's gonna start our day off wrong, and we're gonna feel bad...We all need encouragement, and it's very depressing to watch nothing but negative news...We had a shooting on this street, then they tell you about a rape, and then a woman was carjacked, and they threw her out of the car, and the baby was in the car with the kidnappers, etc. You hear all that, and say `My God, I'm afraid to go outside!'...Probably the reason I don't watch the news on a regular basis is because I know the entire half-hour or hour I'm gonna be watching is just all bad news, bad news, bad news. It's all necessary to know, but it's little overwhelming."

It is very apparent that this is a critic on news reporting, not the actual state of the world. Shame on the WTS!

Blondie, extra kudos to you this week in light of the 'slam from Ham'. Your "Comments" were the first thing that caught my attention on JWD and showed me that the "evil apostates" were actually very astute.

I "get more out of the WT study" from your study then any highlighter I ever used. Please know we love you and your work!

• willyloman
    willyloman
    I "get more out of the WT study" from your study then any highlighter I ever used. Please know we love you and your work!

Second that emotion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit